Wanted: tool to convert code to flowchart

Discussion in 'C++' started by Jonathan Sachs, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. This is actually needed for Java. I posted in a Java newsgroup and
    got no informative responses, but one person suggested I try a C++
    group because C++ programmers deal more with legacy code.

    Searching the Web, I found several tools that are claim to perform
    this task:

    http://www.fatesoft.com/s2f/
    http://www.aivosto.com/visustin.html
    http://www.gold-software.com/download4950.html
    http://www.reliableunion.com/
    http://www.brothersoft.com/Software_Developer_Compilers_and_IDEs_SourceCode2Flowchart_24949.html

    (I understand that most of these tools deal with both C++ and Java.)

    I want to ask whether anyone can recommend (or warn against) any of
    these tools, or others like them.

    The tool I choose must be reliable and accurate, compatible with
    current Java specifications, and available for Microsoft Windows. It
    must be able to generate ANSI standard flowcharts: standard shapes, no
    colors, no curvy arrows, etc. I would prefer to pay no more than about
    $100, but I will probably pay whatever I must to get a tool that works
    well.

    WHY DO I WANT FLOWCHARTS, ANYWAY?

    I'm sure some of you will want to know, so I'll explain it now.

    As a programmer, I stopped using flowcharts decades ago. I know all
    the arguments against them, and agree with most.

    But I'm not a programmer any more. I'm an ex-programmer, about to
    begin work as a patent attorney. In my new career I will be preparing
    patent applications for computer programs, many of them written in
    Java.

    It happens that flowcharts are the U.S. Patent Office's preferred
    medium for describing program logic. Furthermore, I understand that
    some foreign patent offices do not merely prefer flowcharts, but
    require them.

    So there is not really a question of why I want flowcharts; I do not
    have a choice!

    My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.
    Jonathan Sachs, Dec 2, 2005