WAP development

Max Coppin

Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build and
test a WAP site?

Toby A Inkster

[x-posted, follow-ups trimmed]

Max said:
Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build and
test a WAP site?

For testing, I'd recommend downloading Opera <http://www.opera.com/> one
of the few (only?) desktop browsers that understand WML.

freeda

Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build
and
test a WAP site?

Try doing a search for 'Nokia Development Kit'. I used this a few years ago
and found it very helpful.

Mitja

Spartanicus said:
Please don't promote clueless teaching.

Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.

Karl Core

Mitja said:
Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.

Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?
I'm no expert in WAP stuff, but it seems to me that wireless user-agents are
often supporting (x)HTML anyway and so the intelligent choice to me is not
to multi-version your markup, but provide multiple style sheets for
different media types.
I don't see the highest-traffic sites creating multiple versions just for
handheld devices...

Eik

Karl Core said:
Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?

Yes. Many banks and online services have been removing their WAP sites
over the last year or so because of lack of interest. The few people who
use it don't justify the cost of maintaining a second set of pages to
they just scrap WAP. WAP browsers have been in phones for 4 years now.
If, like SMS, people actually liked it and found it useful then it would
have caught on by now.

When you have modern phone browsers supporting Javascript, CSS2 and are
able to make 'real' pages adapt to small screens it seems pointless to
create WAP sites now - or even learn it.

Why lose out on all the benefits of regular HTML and confine yourself to
an inadequate subset that people evidently don't like?
the intelligent choice to me is not to multi-version your
markup, but provide multiple style sheets for different media
types.

Indeed! It would be more worthwhile to download Opera 7 and try your
pages in small-screen mode (Shift+F11) It supports WML too so you can
still test WAP pages if you want.

http://www.opera.com/

Spartanicus

Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.

They're not, search the archives of this group for examples of their
cluelessness.

^^^ please fix your newsreader, sigs are not supposed to be quoted.

Andy Dingley

Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?

It is in Europe. What's it doing in the rest of the World ? The USA
is usually a good few years behind on mobile tech - maybe they still
think it's useful ?
I'm no expert in WAP stuff, but it seems to me that wireless user-agents are
often supporting (x)HTML anyway

Wireless user agents work well with _good_ (X)HTML This seems to be
one of the final factors in driving good web design forward and
getting (some) commercial sites to rework their old NS4 tables & 1x1
gif layout.