    Max Coppin Guest

    Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build and
    test a WAP site?
    Max Coppin, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Max Coppin

    Mitja Guest

    Mitja, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Max Coppin

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Mitja" <> wrote:

    >w3schools is one of the "classic" tutorial sites:
    >http://www.w3schools.com/wap/

    Please don't promote clueless teaching.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 7, 2004
  4. [x-posted, follow-ups trimmed]

    Max Coppin wrote:

    > Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build and
    > test a WAP site?

    For testing, I'd recommend downloading Opera <http://www.opera.com/> one
    of the few (only?) desktop browsers that understand WML.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Max Coppin

    freeda Guest

    > Hi, can anyone suggest a good site / newsgroup to help me design, build
    and
    > test a WAP site?

    Try doing a search for 'Nokia Development Kit'. I used this a few years ago
    and found it very helpful.
    freeda, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Max Coppin

    Mitja Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "Mitja" <> wrote:
    >
    > >w3schools is one of the "classic" tutorial sites:
    > >http://www.w3schools.com/wap/

    > Please don't promote clueless teaching.
    >
    > --
    > Spartanicus

    Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
    just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.
    Mitja, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Max Coppin

    Karl Core Guest

    "Mitja" <> wrote in message
    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mitja" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >w3schools is one of the "classic" tutorial sites:
    > > >http://www.w3schools.com/wap/

    > > Please don't promote clueless teaching.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Spartanicus

    > Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
    > just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.

    Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?
    I'm no expert in WAP stuff, but it seems to me that wireless user-agents are
    often supporting (x)HTML anyway and so the intelligent choice to me is not
    to multi-version your markup, but provide multiple style sheets for
    different media types.
    I don't see the highest-traffic sites creating multiple versions just for
    handheld devices...

    --

    Karl Groves
    http://www.karlcore.com
    Karl Core, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Max Coppin

    Eik Guest

    Karl Core <> wrote:

    > Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?

    Yes. Many banks and online services have been removing their WAP sites
    over the last year or so because of lack of interest. The few people who
    use it don't justify the cost of maintaining a second set of pages to
    they just scrap WAP. WAP browsers have been in phones for 4 years now.
    If, like SMS, people actually liked it and found it useful then it would
    have caught on by now.

    When you have modern phone browsers supporting Javascript, CSS2 and are
    able to make 'real' pages adapt to small screens it seems pointless to
    create WAP sites now - or even learn it.

    Why lose out on all the benefits of regular HTML and confine yourself to
    an inadequate subset that people evidently don't like?

    > the intelligent choice to me is not to multi-version your
    > markup, but provide multiple style sheets for different media
    > types.

    Indeed! It would be more worthwhile to download Opera 7 and try your
    pages in small-screen mode (Shift+F11) It supports WML too so you can
    still test WAP pages if you want.

    http://www.opera.com/
    Eik, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Max Coppin

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Mitja" <> wrote:

    >> >w3schools is one of the "classic" tutorial sites:
    >> >http://www.w3schools.com/wap/

    >> Please don't promote clueless teaching.

    >Whoops, sorry, must admit I have never tried any of their tutorials. It's
    >just that I've heard of it so many times I thought it must be OK.

    They're not, search the archives of this group for examples of their
    cluelessness.

    >> --
    >> Spartanicus

    ^^^ please fix your newsreader, sigs are not supposed to be quoted.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Max Coppin

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 07:43:36 -0500, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >Isn't WAP pretty much dead in the water?

    It is in Europe. What's it doing in the rest of the World ? The USA
    is usually a good few years behind on mobile tech - maybe they still
    think it's useful ?

    >I'm no expert in WAP stuff, but it seems to me that wireless user-agents are
    >often supporting (x)HTML anyway

    Wireless user agents work well with _good_ (X)HTML This seems to be
    one of the final factors in driving good web design forward and
    getting (some) commercial sites to rework their old NS4 tables & 1x1
    gif layout.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Mar 7, 2004