    http://mindprod.com

    "For reason that have a lot to do with US Government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction."
    ~ Paul Wolfowitz 2003-06, explaining how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war to a gullible public.
    Roedy Green, Jul 19, 2009

  2. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
    > Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
    > needed?

    Why ask?

    If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
    be able to create a valid one yourself.

    And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
    packaged Java web apps available on the net.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 19, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
    > Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
    > needed?

    You could link to a popular servlet container's examples:

    <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/>

    I think these are exploded archives, discussed here:

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_WAR_(file_format)>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, Jul 19, 2009
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
    >be able to create a valid one yourself.
    >
    >And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
    >packaged Java web apps available on the net.

    I need permission to post it on my site. There is lots of detail
    documentation on how to create one, but nothing beats a complete
    example to pull it all together.

    Ideally it would be a hello world like app that is well-commented.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "The industrial civilisation is based on the consumption of energy resources that are inherently limited in quantity, and that are about to become scarce. When they do, competition for what remains will trigger dramatic economic and geopolitical events; in the end, it may be impossible for even a single nation to sustain industrialism as we have know it in the twentieth century."
    ~ Richard Heinberg, The Party’s Over: Oil, War, and the Fate of Industrial Societies
    Roedy Green, Jul 19, 2009
  5. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
    >> be able to create a valid one yourself.
    >>
    >> And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
    >> packaged Java web apps available on the net.

    > I need permission to post it on my site.

    Not if it is open source.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 19, 2009
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
    >.war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

    I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
    server to do it. Much as I roar at people on the net, physically I
    have the energy of a 90 year old.

    I have received an offer of such a file by email.

    Roedy Green, Jul 19, 2009
  7. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >> If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
    >> .war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

    > I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
    > server to do it.

    I would assume Tomcat can run on any system capable of running
    a modern browser/newsreader.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 19, 2009
  8. Roedy Green

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
    >> .war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

    > I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
    > server to do it. Much as I roar at people on the net, physically I
    > have the energy of a 90 year old.
    >
    > I have received an offer of such a file by email.

    I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
    server to *use* it.

    And anyway, for testing purposes, many app containers (including free
    ones) will run on less-than-stellar machines.

    Daniel Pitts, Jul 20, 2009
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

    >I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
    >server to *use* it.

    It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
    make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
    seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
    with new tools.

    Roedy Green, Jul 24, 2009
  10. Roedy Green

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    > quoted someone who said :
    >
    >>> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

    >> I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
    >> server to *use* it.

    > It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
    > make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
    > seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
    > with new tools.

    So far, its been a multi-day job begging for it :)

    Download resin 3
    Build your war
    Install it
    run it.

    Daniel Pitts, Jul 24, 2009
  11. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    > quoted someone who said :
    >>> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

    >> I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
    >> server to *use* it.

    > It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
    > make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
    > seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
    > with new tools.

    download Tomcat
    unzip it
    run startup script
    copy war to web apps dir

    = download time + a few minutes

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 25, 2009
  12. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    >>> I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
    >>> server to *use* it.

    >> It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
    >> make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
    >> seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
    >> with new tools.

    > download Tomcat
    > unzip it
    > run startup script
    > copy war to web apps dir
    >
    > = download time + a few minutes

    Except it actually went:

    go to Jetty site
    find out Jetty has moved to Eclipse
    hunt for download page
    download and unpack
    read docs
    write shell script to start Jetty
    work out which options i need to select at startup
    write WAR file contents
    hunt around to find where on my system there's a servlet API JAR
    hunt for info on how to set the context root for the webapp
    write script to build WAR
    build WAR and deploy
    figure out why it's not working
    fix script to build WAR properly

    It took more than a few minutes - but only a couple of hours.

    The next phase is to get Wicket involved. Step one will be to find some
    instructions for setup that don't involve maven, since i hate maven with a
    passion.

    tom

    --
    Rapid oxidation is the new black. -- some Mike
    Tom Anderson, Jul 25, 2009
  13. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 05:01:50 -0700, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
    >Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
    >needed?

    I have one. It is now posted at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/warfile.html

    Roedy Green, Jul 25, 2009
  14. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:07:39 +0100, Tom Anderson
    said :

    >Except it actually went:

    Was this your first time with that womb or with any womb? What were
    your expectations vs actual in the time required. These are jobs
    become utterly trivial if you have already done them a few times.

    How much documentation came with your womb. How much of it did you
    read? How did you know which parts to read? The usual problem is
    being overwhelmed with detail. Buried in there somewhere are the 10
    important facts you need.

    I did this at the request of some stranger who emailed me. I have no
    need of a war file personally. I did this as a favour to the
    computing community. Some of you treat what I did as a crime.

    Try doing this when you are continually on the verge of throwing up.
    It is hard to concentrate. Things that I could have done with my eyes
    closed before seem like requests to climb Everest.

    If somebody already had such a file, (which turned out to be true),
    they could provide it with very little effort. When it all done it
    look utterly trivial, but we all know how much time you can waste to
    labour to produce a mouse when the docs are aimed at someone producing
    a magnum opus.

    The result is at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/warfile.html

    Roedy Green, Jul 25, 2009