.war not deploying in Tomcat 4.1.29

Todd Prickett

Can anyone offer some areas to investigate as to why my .war file does
not deploy when starting up Tomcat? Some relevant info:

* I'm using Lomboz plugin to Eclipse to deploy (create and place) the
..war file in the webapps directory.

* The .war DOES deploy correctly if I've deleted the old version web
app from the webapps directory ahead of time.

* The .war DOES NOT deploy if the web app already exists (the file
dates all show the old version's file dates)

Thanks in advance

Wendy S

Todd Prickett said:
Can anyone offer some areas to investigate as to why my .war file does
not deploy when starting up Tomcat? Some relevant info:
* I'm using Lomboz plugin to Eclipse to deploy (create and place) the
.war file in the webapps directory.

If that's all it does, that will not cause Tomcat to reload the context.
* The .war DOES deploy correctly if I've deleted the old version web
app from the webapps directory ahead of time.
* The .war DOES NOT deploy if the web app already exists (the file
dates all show the old version's file dates)

That's normal behavior for Tomcat. Is your plugin supposed to do something
in addition to placing a .war file in 'webapps'? Perhaps you need to
configure a userid/password for the manager app, so that your plugin can use
it to tell Tomcat to reload the context?

-Wendy S

Todd Prickett

Can anyone offer some areas to investigate as to why my .war file does
If that's all it does, that will not cause Tomcat to reload the context.

Thanks for the reply Wendy.

I guess I neglected an important piece of info. When this happens,
the server is stopped. Starting the server back up should load the
..war, correct? If so, that is the problem I'm trying to solve.
That's normal behavior for Tomcat. Is your plugin supposed to do something
in addition to placing a .war file in 'webapps'? Perhaps you need to
configure a userid/password for the manager app, so that your plugin can use
it to tell Tomcat to reload the context?

The odd thing is that the same config on my old machine works exactly
how I think it should. You stop the server, deploy the .war, start
the server, and the current (i.e. correct) pages/servlets are used.