Warning Expired pages message

tshad

This is driving us crazy. And it only seems to happen in IE. Mozilla and
Firefox don't have this problem.

We get this message all the time, but I can't figure out why as it is not
consistant (or doesn't seem to be).
**********************************************************************************************************************
Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a
security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your
information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
button.
***********************************************************************************************************************

I have a page that I press buttons and grids will open up after being filled
and if I press the Back button, I get this message. This happens 2 seconds
after displaying.

I go to another page and it doesn't get the message.

What causes the message?

If you press the refresh, it handles the page fine - so why doesn't it just
do it in these instances?

Thanks,

Tom

Bruce Barker

this is by design - IE is warning that it is reposting the data, this was
done becuase so many sites do not handle this correctly (query this newgroup
for requests to turn off the back button for a sampling).

when you go back, if the page is marked as expired (or do not cache) and the
page was the result of a post (button click, submit or .net autopostback)
the browser needs to post the form data again to the server to get the page.

little example, a .net page with one button, and expired set.

1) navigate to page (render)
2) click button once (submit)
3) click back - no message because back is the original render

1) navigate to page (render)
2) click button once (submit)
3) click button again (submit)
4) click back - message occurs because previous page is a result of a
postback (submit)

a refresh never causes the message because it is alway a rerender of the
url, not a post.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)