    did not make any offer or solicit business.

    But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
    website is down and your ISP cut you off.
    RepAlciere, Dec 29, 2003

  2. In article <>, RepAlciere
    says...

    > Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    > companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
    > unlisted hosting companies or registrars.

    Indeed.

    > (Funny, it's gone now.)

    It's just marked as read by your newsreader.

    > One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

    I could only think of 3 I'd recommend to a friend.

    > Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

    There's usually at least one.

    > Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the company that
    > registered the domain name of that directory has contacted me.

    But you didn't loose your accounts. Your website is still live, at
    least.

    I wouldn't call your post spam but, as you've found out, a few people
    would. They generally have too much time on their hands.

    > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to webmasters and
    > did not make any offer or solicit business.

    It was a bit borderline. As you say on you own site:

    "this site is intended as a medium to publicize the webmaster's other
    sites, on the left."

    So you're using the directory to advertise to us. Nothing wrong with
    that, IMO, providing there's a decent service too.

    > But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
    > website is down and your ISP cut you off.

    Just try not to mention any specific
    sites/products/services/names/colours and you'll be fine.

    --
    Daniel Ruscoe
    http://www.dualstone.co.uk
    Daniel Ruscoe, Dec 29, 2003

  3. RepAlciere

    Richard Guest

    RepAlciere wrote:

    > Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    > companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by
    > e-mail, any unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone
    > now.)

    > One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

    > Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

    > Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the
    > company that registered the domain name of that directory has contacted
    > me.

    > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to
    > webmasters and did not make any offer or solicit business.

    > But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
    > website is down and your ISP cut you off.

    When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
    in usenet?
    A post soliciting business as a one time deal is not spam!
    If you want to get right down to it, every time you post your website in
    your signature, advertising, that's spam ain't it?
    The poster did nothing wrong in asking for input on other services that he
    may have overlooked.
    You "smarter than thou" "agree with me or I'll kick your ass" buttheads have
    no damn business screaming spam just because YOU THINK it is.

    So hey ok, if you want to play hard ball, then every time somebody wants a
    critique on their coding on their website, it gets reported as spam. You
    listening brucie?

    Two can play the same game.

    If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
    Richard, Dec 29, 2003
  4. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    RepAlciere said:

    > Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    > companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
    > unlisted hosting companies or registrars.
    > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam,

    you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".

    <quote>
    GoDaddy.com does not tolerate the transmission of spam. We define spam
    as the sending of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), Unsolicited Bulk
    Email (UBE), as well as *unsolicited newsgroup advertisements*, Instant
    Messenger advertisements, or Windows Messenger pop-ups. We will not
    allow our servers and services to be used for such purposes.
    </quote>

    <quote>
    Advertising is not welcome in alt.html and will result in spam reports
    sent to your host and/or service provider.
    </quote> http://alt-html.org/

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 07:55:36 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  5. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Richard said:

    > When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
    > in usenet? A post soliciting business as a one time deal is not spam!

    it doesn't matter what you think is spam or not. its what the AUP/TOSs
    of the spamers providers define as spam.

    some providers define spam as crossposting to more that 8 groups
    /regardless/ of what the subject of the post may be.

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 08:23:01 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  6. RepAlciere

    RepAlciere Guest

    They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    In a message dated 29-Dec-03 21:53:07 Greenwich Standard Time,

    Subj: RE: Customer Warning - WEB-HOSTING-AND-DOMAIN-REGISTRAR-DIRECTORY.COM
    Date: 29-Dec-03 21:53:07 Greenwich Standard Time
    To:
    Sent from the Internet

    Dear Mr. Alciere,

    Thank you for contacting Go Daddy's Spam and Abuse Department

    Go Daddy defines spam as any communication sent to recipients, as an
    advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to
    receive these communications from your domain by the recipient. This includes,
    but is not limited to, the following:

    - Email Messages
    - Newsgroup postings
    - Windows system messages
    - Pop-up messages (aka "adware" or "spyware" messages)
    - Instant messages (using AOL, MSN, Yahoo or other instant messenger programs)
    - Online chat room advertisements
    - Guestbook or Website Forum postings

    It appears that the complaints we've received regard off-topic or unauthorized
    newsgroup posts entitled "New directory of hosts and registrars" a copy of one
    of these posts submitted to the alt.htmlnewsgroup is provided at the end of
    this message.

    Please keep in mind that it is not our intention to cause anyone's business to
    suffer and we do appreciate your cooperating with us on this matter. Because of
    your cooperation and willingness to resolve this issue thus far, your services
    have not been interrupted, but this situation remains unresolved.

    At this point you have two options available to you, each is outlined below:

    ----- Option #1: Provide proof your newsgroup submission is authorized.

    If you can provide proof that your submission to this newsgroup is authorized
    we will consider this matter closed. This proof can be supplied in one of two
    ways:

    1. Obtain the charter for the newsgroup this particular message was posted to,
    forward a copy of the charter along with a summary pointing out the relevant
    passages that you feel prove your submission is a valid post.

    2. Contact the moderator of the newsgroup this particular message was posted to
    and obtain confirmation, from the moderator, in the form of an email message
    that your submission is a valid post to this newsgroup. Forward a copy of this
    confirmation to along with the moderators email
    address.

    Please realize that Go Daddy will contact the moderator on the newsgroup in
    question for verification of the information you provide.

    ----- Option #2: Discontinue all future unauthorized newsgroup practices.

    If you are unable to provide proof your post is valid and wish to close this
    matter you must reply to with the following:

    1. A statement that you (or your employees, affiliates, 3rd party marketers,
    etc.) will no longer make off topic or unauthorized newsgroup posts.

    2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable administration
    fee to the credit card on file for your account (you may want to log into your
    Go Daddy account and confirm that the card on file is valid and has not
    expired).

    If you reply with this statement and agree to pay this fee, Go Daddy will
    accept, in good faith, your commitment as proof of your desire to correct this
    problem.

    Please be aware that Go Daddy will continue to monitor this situation. If after
    you commit to ceasing this activity it is determined that this problem
    persists, your domain name may be immediately redirected and your service
    suspended. We realize additional complaints resulting from the posts you have
    just committed to stop may come in and we will of course consider this, and
    contact you before taking action.

    -----

    *PLEASE NOTE: If you do not follow one of the options outlined above your
    domain name may be immediately redirected and your service suspended.

    -----

    Here is a copy of the offending newsgroup post:
    RepAlciere, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Re: They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    <snip>
    > 2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable
    > administration fee

    <snip>

    $100... if not you lose the domain name?

    <snip>
    > your domain name may be immediately redirected
    > and your service suspended.

    <snip>

    I guess so. I did not know domain registars were involved in fighting
    spam. I thought is was only ISPs. Good to know there is another level of
    spam fighters.

    So, why is it that many know spam generating domains are still active? Why
    aren't they canceled by the domain registars? Is it only some registrars
    that have this policy? Is there an official ICANN policy?

    --
    Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
    Coupon Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup
    Edward Alfert, Dec 29, 2003
  8. brucie wrote:
    > it doesn't matter what you think is spam or not. its what the AUP/TOSs
    > of the spamers providers define as spam.

    Right, and and it was/is illegal to deny the existance of God in Vermont
    (my home state), but you would still be a jerk for reporting me for it.
    In other news, there is no god.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 29, 2003
  9. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    RepAlciere said:

    > Go Daddy defines spam as any communication sent to recipients, as an
    > advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to
    > receive these communications from your domain by the recipient. This includes,
    > but is not limited to, the following:
    > - Email Messages
    > - Newsgroup postings
    > [...]

    a nice clear policy.

    > 2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable administration
    > fee

    in 2002 dealing with spam cost US businesses alone *nine billion
    dollars*. i don't think its unfair that they try to recoup some of their
    costs from the spamers instead of passing on the costs to all of their
    customers which works out to be about $10 per US internet user per
    month.

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 08:43:46 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Re: They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    <snip>
    > i don't think its unfair that they try to recoup some of
    > their costs from the spamers instead of passing on the costs to all of
    > their customers

    <snip>

    I don't think it is unfair either...but...be careful brucie...all those
    offtopic posts might make you go bankrupt.

    I know offtopic is not the same of spam, but according to the Go Daddy
    email, posts have to be ontopic. Offtopic posts would be in violation and
    would also cause them to charge $100.

    Edward Alfert, Dec 29, 2003
  11. "RepAlciere" <> wrote in message

    > Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    > companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail,

    any
    > unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone now.)
    >
    > One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.
    >
    > Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!
    >
    > Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the company

    that
    > registered the domain name of that directory has contacted me.
    >
    > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to

    webmasters and
    > did not make any offer or solicit business.
    >
    > But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
    > website is down and your ISP cut you off.

    Yeah, you emailed me UNSOLICITED and I almost reported you too. Lucky for
    you, I was laughing too hard at your domian name. ;-)

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Dec 29, 2003
  12. "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > RepAlciere wrote:
    >

    > > Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    > > companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by
    > > e-mail, any unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone
    > > now.)

    > > One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

    > > Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

    > > Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the
    > > company that registered the domain name of that directory has contacted
    > > me.

    > > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to
    > > webmasters and did not make any offer or solicit business.

    > > But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find

    your
    > > website is down and your ISP cut you off.

    > When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
    > in usenet?

    Actually, if he contacted anyone else via email (like he did me) - they
    probably reported him for actually spamming. I rec'd his email before I
    read his post here. I almost reported him.

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Dec 29, 2003
  13. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    Re: They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    in post <news:Xns9460B777C3F0Eealfertrootmodecom@130.133.1.4>
    Edward Alfert said:

    >> i don't think its unfair that they try to recoup some of
    >> their costs from the spamers instead of passing on the costs to all of
    >> their customers

    > I don't think it is unfair either...but...be careful brucie...all those
    > offtopic posts might make you go bankrupt.

    its a rare week that goes by that someone doesn't complain about one of
    my posts but i'm not sure how i would go bankrupt as the godaddy policy
    doesn't apply to me.

    > I know offtopic is not the same of spam, but according to the Go Daddy
    > email, posts have to be ontopic. Offtopic posts would be in violation and
    > would also cause them to charge $100.

    if godaddy defines OT posts as spam then they are spam.

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 09:05:24 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  14. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    Re: They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    in post <news:Xns9460B524E4F41ealfertrootmodecom@130.133.1.4>
    Edward Alfert said:

    > I did not know domain registars were involved in fighting
    > spam. I thought is was only ISPs.

    the domain is hosted by maddog a godaddy reseller

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 09:32:44 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  15. RepAlciere

    Richard Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >> RepAlciere wrote:
    >>

    > >> Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web
    > >> hosting companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to
    > >>mention, by e-mail, any unlisted hosting companies or registrars.
    > >>(Funny, it's gone now.)

    > >> One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that
    > >> directory.

    > >> Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

    > >> Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the
    > >> company that registered the domain name of that directory has
    > >> contacted me.

    > >> Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to
    > >> webmasters and did not make any offer or solicit business.

    > >> But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find

    > your
    > >> website is down and your ISP cut you off.

    >> When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam
    >> is in usenet?

    > Actually, if he contacted anyone else via email (like he did me) - they
    > probably reported him for actually spamming. I rec'd his email before I
    > read his post here. I almost reported him.

    > --Tina

    Christ. If I reported every damn spam I got every day, I'd be sending out
    more spam reports than doing anything else.

    Because you didn't ask for it isn't necessarily spam.
    It's when they continously repeat the mail that it becomes spam.
    Another good sign it is spam is the fact they use nonworking addy's or
    hijack one.
    I've got filters in place to kill anything that come from hotmail or yahoo.
    Richard, Dec 30, 2003
  16. RepAlciere

    Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:>
    > RepAlciere said:

    >> Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
    >> companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by
    >> e-mail, any unlisted hosting companies or registrars. Like, gimme a
    >>break! That wasn't spam,

    > you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".

    > <quote>
    > GoDaddy.com does not tolerate the transmission of spam. We define spam
    > as the sending of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), Unsolicited Bulk
    > Email (UBE), as well as *unsolicited newsgroup advertisements*, Instant
    > Messenger advertisements, or Windows Messenger pop-ups. We will not
    > allow our servers and services to be used for such purposes.
    > </quote>

    > <quote>
    > Advertising is not welcome in alt.html and will result in spam reports
    > sent to your host and/or service provider.
    > </quote> http://alt-html.org/

    Ok mister legal attorney sir, define precisely what is an advertisement in a
    newsgroup?
    A request for more information to be placed on a website is not an
    advertisement.
    Posting of a link to a website would therefor be an advertisement under your
    policy.
    Therefor, your link above is solicitiation and an advertisement.
    Consider yourself reported.

    BTW, godaddy has the policy that they will control anything you do with a
    website as long as you have registration with them. Even if you are not
    hosted by them.
    Richard, Dec 30, 2003
  17. RepAlciere

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bsq8fq$beqm$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > > Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam,

    > you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".

    When ever I create a post about the Flash MP3 player I give away for
    free, I get one or two "spam" complaints. My ISP contacts me, I show I
    make no profit from it in any way, and that the discussion is also on
    topic.

    They say, ok, thanks, and that is the end of it.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 30, 2003
  18. RepAlciere

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: They want A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hah!

    In article <bsqb86$bubs$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > in 2002 dealing with spam cost US businesses alone *nine billion
    > dollars*.

    While I agree it costs something, I seriously doubt that number.
    (regardless of who you got it from, I don't believe it)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 30, 2003
  19. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    Whitecrest said:

    >> in 2002 dealing with spam cost US businesses alone *nine billion
    >> dollars*.

    > While I agree it costs something, I seriously doubt that number.
    > (regardless of who you got it from, I don't believe it)

    its based on "loss of worker productivity; consumption of bandwidth and
    other tech resources; and use of technical support time".

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 11:51:01 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 30, 2003
  20. RepAlciere

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Richard said:

    > Ok mister legal attorney sir, define precisely what is an advertisement in a
    > newsgroup?

    it doesn't matter what i think it is.

    --
    brucie