Warning to all posters in this NG

RepAlciere

Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone now.)

One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the company that
registered the domain name of that directory has contacted me.

Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to webmasters and
did not make any offer or solicit business.

But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
website is down and your ISP cut you off.

Daniel Ruscoe

RepAlciere said:
Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
unlisted hosting companies or registrars.
Indeed.

(Funny, it's gone now.)

It's just marked as read by your newsreader.
One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

I could only think of 3 I'd recommend to a friend.
Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

There's usually at least one.
Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the company that
registered the domain name of that directory has contacted me.

But you didn't loose your accounts. Your website is still live, at
least.

I wouldn't call your post spam but, as you've found out, a few people
would. They generally have too much time on their hands.
Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to webmasters and
did not make any offer or solicit business.

It was a bit borderline. As you say on you own site:

"this site is intended as a medium to publicize the webmaster's other
sites, on the left."

So you're using the directory to advertise to us. Nothing wrong with
that, IMO, providing there's a decent service too.
But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
website is down and your ISP cut you off.

Just try not to mention any specific
sites/products/services/names/colours and you'll be fine.

Richard

RepAlciere wrote:

Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by
e-mail, any unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone
now.)
One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.
Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!
Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the
company that registered the domain name of that directory has contacted
me.
Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to
webmasters and did not make any offer or solicit business.
But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
website is down and your ISP cut you off.

When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
in usenet?
A post soliciting business as a one time deal is not spam!
If you want to get right down to it, every time you post your website in
your signature, advertising, that's spam ain't it?
The poster did nothing wrong in asking for input on other services that he
may have overlooked.
You "smarter than thou" "agree with me or I'll kick your ass" buttheads have
no damn business screaming spam just because YOU THINK it is.

So hey ok, if you want to play hard ball, then every time somebody wants a
critique on their coding on their website, it gets reported as spam. You
listening brucie?

Two can play the same game.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

brucie

Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
unlisted hosting companies or registrars.
Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam,

you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".

<quote>
GoDaddy.com does not tolerate the transmission of spam. We define spam
as the sending of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), Unsolicited Bulk
Email (UBE), as well as *unsolicited newsgroup advertisements*, Instant
Messenger advertisements, or Windows Messenger pop-ups. We will not
allow our servers and services to be used for such purposes.
</quote>

<quote>
Advertising is not welcome in alt.html and will result in spam reports
sent to your host and/or service provider.
</quote> http://alt-html.org/

brucie

When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
in usenet? A post soliciting business as a one time deal is not spam!

it doesn't matter what you think is spam or not. its what the AUP/TOSs
of the spamers providers define as spam.

some providers define spam as crossposting to more that 8 groups
/regardless/ of what the subject of the post may be.

RepAlciere

In a message dated 29-Dec-03 21:53:07 Greenwich Standard Time,

Subj: RE: Customer Warning - WEB-HOSTING-AND-DOMAIN-REGISTRAR-DIRECTORY.COM
Date: 29-Dec-03 21:53:07 Greenwich Standard Time
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
Sent from the Internet

Dear Mr. Alciere,

Thank you for contacting Go Daddy's Spam and Abuse Department

Go Daddy defines spam as any communication sent to recipients, as an
advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to
receive these communications from your domain by the recipient. This includes,
but is not limited to, the following:

- Email Messages
- Newsgroup postings
- Windows system messages
- Pop-up messages (aka "adware" or "spyware" messages)
- Instant messages (using AOL, MSN, Yahoo or other instant messenger programs)
- Online chat room advertisements
- Guestbook or Website Forum postings

It appears that the complaints we've received regard off-topic or unauthorized
newsgroup posts entitled "New directory of hosts and registrars" a copy of one
of these posts submitted to the alt.htmlnewsgroup is provided at the end of
this message.

Please keep in mind that it is not our intention to cause anyone's business to
suffer and we do appreciate your cooperating with us on this matter. Because of
your cooperation and willingness to resolve this issue thus far, your services
have not been interrupted, but this situation remains unresolved.

At this point you have two options available to you, each is outlined below:

----- Option #1: Provide proof your newsgroup submission is authorized.

If you can provide proof that your submission to this newsgroup is authorized
we will consider this matter closed. This proof can be supplied in one of two
ways:

1. Obtain the charter for the newsgroup this particular message was posted to,
forward a copy of the charter along with a summary pointing out the relevant
passages that you feel prove your submission is a valid post.

2. Contact the moderator of the newsgroup this particular message was posted to
and obtain confirmation, from the moderator, in the form of an email message
that your submission is a valid post to this newsgroup. Forward a copy of this
confirmation to (e-mail address removed) along with the moderators email
address.

Please realize that Go Daddy will contact the moderator on the newsgroup in
question for verification of the information you provide.

----- Option #2: Discontinue all future unauthorized newsgroup practices.

If you are unable to provide proof your post is valid and wish to close this
matter you must reply to (e-mail address removed) with the following:

1. A statement that you (or your employees, affiliates, 3rd party marketers,
etc.) will no longer make off topic or unauthorized newsgroup posts.

2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable administration
fee to the credit card on file for your account (you may want to log into your
Go Daddy account and confirm that the card on file is valid and has not
expired).

If you reply with this statement and agree to pay this fee, Go Daddy will
accept, in good faith, your commitment as proof of your desire to correct this
problem.

Please be aware that Go Daddy will continue to monitor this situation. If after
you commit to ceasing this activity it is determined that this problem
persists, your domain name may be immediately redirected and your service
suspended. We realize additional complaints resulting from the posts you have
just committed to stop may come in and we will of course consider this, and
contact you before taking action.

Edward Alfert

2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable
administration fee
<snip>

$100... if not you lose the domain name?

your domain name may be immediately redirected
and your service suspended.
<snip>

I guess so. I did not know domain registars were involved in fighting
spam. I thought is was only ISPs. Good to know there is another level of
spam fighters.

So, why is it that many know spam generating domains are still active? Why
aren't they canceled by the domain registars? Is it only some registrars
that have this policy? Is there an official ICANN policy?

Leif K-Brooks

brucie said:
it doesn't matter what you think is spam or not. its what the AUP/TOSs
of the spamers providers define as spam.

Right, and and it was/is illegal to deny the existance of God in Vermont
(my home state), but you would still be a jerk for reporting me for it.
In other news, there is no god.

brucie

Go Daddy defines spam as any communication sent to recipients, as an
advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to
receive these communications from your domain by the recipient. This includes,
but is not limited to, the following:
- Email Messages
- Newsgroup postings
[...]

a nice clear policy.
2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $100 non-refundable administration
fee

in 2002 dealing with spam cost US businesses alone *nine billion
dollars*. i don't think its unfair that they try to recoup some of their
costs from the spamers instead of passing on the costs to all of their
customers which works out to be about $10 per US internet user per
month.

Edward Alfert

i don't think its unfair that they try to recoup some of
their costs from the spamers instead of passing on the costs to all of
their customers
<snip>

I don't think it is unfair either...but...be careful brucie...all those
offtopic posts might make you go bankrupt.

I know offtopic is not the same of spam, but according to the Go Daddy
email, posts have to be ontopic. Offtopic posts would be in violation and
would also cause them to charge $100.

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

RepAlciere said:
Recently you may have seen a post about a new directory of web hosting
companies and domain registrars, and asking for you to mention, by e-mail, any
unlisted hosting companies or registrars. (Funny, it's gone now.)

One guy responded with 3 new services, which I added to that directory.

Somebody freaked out. SPAM! SPAM!

Well, the company handling my e-mail has contacted me and even the company that
registered the domain name of that directory has contacted me.

Like, gimme a break! That wasn't spam, because it is relevant to webmasters and
did not make any offer or solicit business.

But just to let you all know, so you don't wake up one day and find your
website is down and your ISP cut you off.

Yeah, you emailed me UNSOLICITED and I almost reported you too. Lucky for
you, I was laughing too hard at your domian name. ;-)

--Tina

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Richard said:
RepAlciere wrote:

When will you frickin people learn what the hell the definition of spam is
in usenet?

Actually, if he contacted anyone else via email (like he did me) - they
probably reported him for actually spamming. I rec'd his email before I
read his post here. I almost reported him.

--Tina

brucie

I don't think it is unfair either...but...be careful brucie...all those
offtopic posts might make you go bankrupt.

its a rare week that goes by that someone doesn't complain about one of
my posts but i'm not sure how i would go bankrupt as the godaddy policy
doesn't apply to me.
I know offtopic is not the same of spam, but according to the Go Daddy
email, posts have to be ontopic. Offtopic posts would be in violation and
would also cause them to charge $100.

if godaddy defines OT posts as spam then they are spam.

Richard

Tina said:
Actually, if he contacted anyone else via email (like he did me) - they
probably reported him for actually spamming. I rec'd his email before I
read his post here. I almost reported him.

Christ. If I reported every damn spam I got every day, I'd be sending out
more spam reports than doing anything else.

Because you didn't ask for it isn't necessarily spam.
It's when they continously repeat the mail that it becomes spam.
Another good sign it is spam is the fact they use nonworking addy's or
hijack one.
I've got filters in place to kill anything that come from hotmail or yahoo.

Richard

brucie said:
in post <RepAlciere said:
you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".
<quote>
GoDaddy.com does not tolerate the transmission of spam. We define spam
as the sending of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), Unsolicited Bulk
Email (UBE), as well as *unsolicited newsgroup advertisements*, Instant
Messenger advertisements, or Windows Messenger pop-ups. We will not
allow our servers and services to be used for such purposes.
</quote>
<quote>
Advertising is not welcome in alt.html and will result in spam reports
sent to your host and/or service provider.
</quote> http://alt-html.org/

Ok mister legal attorney sir, define precisely what is an advertisement in a
newsgroup?
A request for more information to be placed on a website is not an
advertisement.
Posting of a link to a website would therefor be an advertisement under your
policy.
Therefor, your link above is solicitiation and an advertisement.
Consider yourself reported.

BTW, godaddy has the policy that they will control anything you do with a
website as long as you have registration with them. Even if you are not
hosted by them.

Whitecrest

you sent "unsolicited newsgroup advertisements".

When ever I create a post about the Flash MP3 player I give away for
free, I get one or two "spam" complaints. My ISP contacts me, I show I
make no profit from it in any way, and that the discussion is also on
topic.

They say, ok, thanks, and that is the end of it.

Whitecrest

in 2002 dealing with spam cost US businesses alone *nine billion
dollars*.

While I agree it costs something, I seriously doubt that number.
(regardless of who you got it from, I don't believe it)

brucie

While I agree it costs something, I seriously doubt that number.
(regardless of who you got it from, I don't believe it)

its based on "loss of worker productivity; consumption of bandwidth and
other tech resources; and use of technical support time".