Watcom C

Nickolai Leschov

Hello,

I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a
couple of questions.

How do I make simple project compile? I created a project with DOS
target ( " DOS - 16 bit executable (.exe)" ), but it doesn't see
the header files; neither mine nor standard ones.
Output looks like this:
< skip >
Error! E2028: _atexit is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: InitLib_ is an undefined reference
< skip >
The first line belongs to standard function, second one is function of
my device's system library.

How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom?
I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they
can be found on separate newsgroup or here?

Regards,
Nickolai Leschov

Arlet Ottens

Nickolai said:
Hello,

I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a
couple of questions.

How do I make simple project compile? I created a project with DOS
target ( " DOS - 16 bit executable (.exe)" ), but it doesn't see
the header files; neither mine nor standard ones.
Output looks like this:
< skip >
Error! E2028: _atexit is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: InitLib_ is an undefined reference
< skip >
The first line belongs to standard function, second one is function of
my device's system library.

How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom?
I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they
can be found on separate newsgroup or here?

Regards,
Nickolai Leschov

I don't know about the second reference, but _atexit() is usally a
function that gets called when the program exits. For embedded platforms
where the program never exits, this can be safely replaced by a dummy
void _atexit(void) { } in your source code.

Flash Gordon

Arlet Ottens wrote, On 17/01/08 19:25:
I don't know about the second reference, but _atexit() is usally a
function that gets called when the program exits. For embedded platforms
where the program never exits, this can be safely replaced by a dummy
void _atexit(void) { } in your source code.

This could well not be the correct way to do it (it would not be on some
embedded compilers I have used). The correct way could be to get the
code to link to an appropriate version of the standard library. The OP
needs to find whatever support forums exist for Open Watcom, and there
is even a link to such places in the most obvious place which is
http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page which was the first hit
Google gave for "open watcom".

Details on how specific tools work are not topical on comp.lang.c or
comp.lang.c++

HT-Lab

Nickolai Leschov said:
Hello,

I want to tried to use Open Watcom for programming my i188, and I have a
couple of questions.

How do I make simple project compile?

Perhaps my sequence can help you out :

1) I updated the wlsystem file in the binw directory with the following
addition:

system begin embedded8086
end

2) I then created a very simple startup (cstart.obj, modified from
src\startup\dos) and small clib (clib88.lib).

3) To compile I do:

wcl -q -c -0 -fpc -mt -s -d0 -od -l=COM myfile.c

4) To link I do:

wlink file myfile.obj name myfile.bin @cc.lk

were cc.lk consist of:

system embedded8086
option NOCASEEXACT
option NODEFAULTLIBS
option map
option stack=1k
format dos com
libfile ...\mystartup\cstart.obj
library ...\myclib\clib88.lib

5) and finally I convert the bin file to Intel hex and upload it to my
board.

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Nickolai Leschov

HT-Lab said:
Perhaps my sequence can help you out :
5) and finally I convert the bin file to Intel hex and upload it to my
board.
Thanks for help.
What is your platform? I guess my case is even simpler than this, as I
can link standard c libraries and produce standard dos exe binaries,
only the specific I/O should be done via manufacturer's library.

I simply couldn't build a DOS exe program.

Regards,
Nickolai Leschov

FreeRTOS.org

How do I contact the developers of Open Watcom?
I can see their emails through bug tracker on the site, but maybe they can
be found on separate newsgroup or here?

? - Third paragraph of the OpenWatcom homepage:

----------------
+ The contributors and many users read the Open Watcom news groups
regularly. They are the best place to get questions answered and to
participate in the Open Watcom community. Point your news reader at the
server news://news.openwatcom.org and subscribe to the groups that interest
you.

-+ openwatcom.users.c_cpp - Users of the Open Watcom C and C++ products
-+ openwatcom.users.fortran - Users of the Open Watcom Fortran products
-+ openwatcom.contributors - Developers of all Open Watcom languages, tools,
and documentation
-+ openwatcom.bugzilla - Automatically generated notifications about newly
reported bugs and new additions to bug
descriptions in the Bugzilla tracking system. Read only.

+ There is also an Open Watcom Announcements email list. This is a low
volume list providing the latest news about the Open Watcom project.

+ The #watcom channel on irc.freenode.net is a place where users and
contributors gather to chat about Open Watcom in real time.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
14 official architecture ports, 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.