    --
    Natal Transits Calculator
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/jv/nataltransits.html
    emf, Oct 25, 2013

  2. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "emf" <> wrote in message news:l4d0nq$2b2$...
    > I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple
    > web converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and
    > hence should be smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

    Audacity is a free, easy-to-use
    < http://audacity.sourceforge.net >
    Hot_Text, Oct 25, 2013

  3. emf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l4d0nq$2b2$>, emf <>
    wrote:

    > I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    > webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
    > converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
    > under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    > smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    > convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

    Have you got Quicktime Pro? Handbrake? MPEG Streamclip? These enable
    you to do this sort of thing.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 25, 2013
  4. emf

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    On 25/10/2013 07:48, emf wrote:
    > I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    > webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
    > converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
    > under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    > smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    > convert the wav to a smaller mp3?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > emf

    Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
    MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
    file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
    a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
    a higher sample rate?

    Fokke
    Fokke Nauta, Oct 25, 2013
  5. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-10-25 05:13 Fokke Nauta wrote:
    > On 25/10/2013 07:48, emf wrote:
    >> I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    >> webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
    >> converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
    >> under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    >> smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    >> convert the wav to a smaller mp3?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> emf
    >>

    > Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
    > MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
    > file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
    > a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
    > a higher sample rate?
    >
    > Fokke

    There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed
    Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I want to convert:

    http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintmebabe.html
    emf, Oct 25, 2013
  6. emf wrote:

    > There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed
    > Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I want to convert:
    >
    > http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav

    This is an MP3 audio stream inside a WAV container. You can probably
    remux it (if necessary) with FFmpeg[1]. On how to do so, you may better
    ask in a related newsgroup or forum.

    [1] <http://ffmpeg.org/>

    --
    Christoph M. Becker
    Christoph Michael Becker, Oct 25, 2013
  7. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "emf" <> wrote in message news:l4dhqt$f2j$...
    > On 2013-10-25 05:13 Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> On 25/10/2013 07:48, emf wrote:
    >>> I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    >>> webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
    >>> converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
    >>> under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    >>> smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    >>> convert the wav to a smaller mp3?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> emf
    >>>

    >> Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
    >> MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
    >> file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
    >> a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
    >> a higher sample rate?
    >>
    >> Fokke

    > There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I
    > want to convert:
    >
    > http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav
    >
    > emf

    The Properties Say:
    it is a MPEG Audio Layer-3
    Just rename it to taletheme.mp3
    Hot_Text, Oct 25, 2013
  8. emf

    JJ Guest

    On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:43:40 -0600, Hot_Text wrote:
    > The Properties Say:
    > it is a MPEG Audio Layer-3
    > Just rename it to taletheme.mp3

    Does web browsers detect it properly?
    JJ, Oct 26, 2013
  9. emf

    Ben C Guest

    On 2013-10-26, JJ <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:43:40 -0600, Hot_Text wrote:
    >> The Properties Say:
    >> it is a MPEG Audio Layer-3
    >> Just rename it to taletheme.mp3

    > Does web browsers detect it properly?

    Really the server should send it with the correct Content-Type header,
    and the browser should use that as its primary source of information
    (although who knows some of them might fall back to clever tricks if
    you're lucky).

    The server will often infer the content type just from the filename, so
    if you rename it to mp3 probably everything will be all right.

    But you should check what Content-Type header your server is sending.
    Many browsers have a way of looking at the headers or you can use e.g.
    curl -D.
    Ben C, Oct 26, 2013
  10. emf

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    On 25/10/2013 12:40, emf wrote:
    > On 2013-10-25 05:13 Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> On 25/10/2013 07:48, emf wrote:
    >>> I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    >>> webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
    >>> converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
    >>> under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    >>> smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    >>> convert the wav to a smaller mp3?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> emf
    >>>

    >> Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
    >> MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
    >> file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
    >> a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
    >> a higher sample rate?
    >>
    >> Fokke

    > There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed
    > Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I want to convert:
    >
    > http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav
    >
    > emf

    It sounds like an MP3 file.
    To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
    It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.

    Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

    Fokke
    Fokke Nauta, Oct 26, 2013
  11. Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:
    > It sounds like an MP3 file.
    > To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
    > It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.
    >
    > Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

    The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
    contains an MP3 audio stream.

    --
    Christoph M. Becker
    Christoph Michael Becker, Oct 26, 2013
  12. emf

    Fokke Nauta Guest

    On 26/10/2013 16:35, Christoph Michael Becker wrote:
    > Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:
    >> It sounds like an MP3 file.
    >> To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
    >> It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.
    >>
    >> Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

    > The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
    > contains an MP3 audio stream.

    You mentioned that in your previous post.
    But how can a WAV file contain an MP3 stream?

    Fokke
    Fokke Nauta, Oct 26, 2013
  13. emf

    Luuk Guest

    Luuk, Oct 26, 2013
  14. emf

    Lewis Guest

    In message <l4d0nq$2b2$>
    emf <> wrote:
    > I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    > webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter

    Teeheehee. Real Player. Bwahaha.

    > as well as a couple web
    > converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files.

    You probanly have the mp3 bitrate too high and may be doubling a mono
    track into stereo.

    > I was
    > under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    > smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    > convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

    iTunes? FFMpeg? afplay? I can't remember if afplay will convert, but I
    think it will.

    Oh, no, wait, it's afconvert to convert.

    --
    "If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed."
    Lewis, Oct 26, 2013
  15. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message news:ziox3vi0yctu.1h1vsp3zwlgsj$...
    > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:43:40 -0600, Hot_Text wrote:
    >> The Properties Say:
    >> it is a MPEG Audio Layer-3
    >> Just rename it to taletheme.mp3

    > Does web browsers detect it properly?

    Open it up in a Player to Check the properly

    Then you will see it is not a Wav File
    But a Mp3 that was name a wav

    For browsers do not look it see if it the right File
    it jut send it to the Default play for that file

    Microsoft Player will play it as a mp3 file

    If you name the mp3 to a taletheme.swf
    Default Flash Player will play it as a mp3 file

    But you will not be Converter the SWF
    Because it not a SWF

    You as Webmaster
    Do not know how to get a web browsers
    Your MP3 it the Player of your choice

    Wav Default Player is Microsoft Player
    Hot_Text, Oct 27, 2013
  16. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "Fokke Nauta" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 25/10/2013 12:40, emf wrote:
    >>> Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
    >>> MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
    >>> file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
    >>> a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
    >>> a higher sample rate?
    >>> Fokke

    >> There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed
    >> Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I want to convert:
    >> http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav
    >> emf

    > It sounds like an MP3 file.
    > To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
    > It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.
    >
    > Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

    Fokke

    Extension is changed into wav
    To send it Default Player

    Wav Default Microsoft Player
    SWF Default Flash Player
    Try it it works
    Hot_Text, Oct 27, 2013
  17. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "Christoph Michael Becker" <> wrote in message news:526bd32a$0$6570$-online.net...
    > Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:
    >> It sounds like an MP3 file.
    >> To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
    >> It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.
    >> Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

    > The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
    > contains an MP3 audio stream.

    Christoph

    Audacity need the right extension

    If he rename it the a MP3
    then it will open up in
    Audacity for editing

    Because Audacity see no Wav in the file
    And Audacity go by right extension only
    Hot_Text, Oct 27, 2013
  18. OT: WAV/MP3 (was: wav to mp3)

    Hot_Text wrote:

    > Audacity need the right extension
    >
    > If he rename it the a MP3
    > then it will open up in
    > Audacity for editing

    I don't see that the file needs editing, and re*encoding* it to a
    lossless format would decrease the already moderate quality. To have a
    proper MP3 file, one just has to re*mux* it. This can be done, for
    instance, with:

    ffmpeg -i taletheme.wav -acodec copy taletheme.mp3

    > Because Audacity see no Wav in the file
    > And Audacity go by right extension only

    The right extension is .wav, as the file is encoded as WAV (which is an
    application of RIFF)[1]. You can see that, when you look at the
    beginning of the file:

    52 49 46 46 90 37 02 00 57 41 56 45
    R I F F W A V E

    When working with multimedia files, one should usually distinguish
    between the container format (which should match the served MIME type)
    and the format of the contained stream(s).

    [1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV>

    --
    Christoph M. Becker
    Christoph Michael Becker, Oct 27, 2013
  19. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In message <l4d0nq$2b2$>
    > emf <> wrote:
    >> I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
    >> webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter

    > Teeheehee. Real Player. Bwahaha.
    >> as well as a couple web
    >> converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files.

    > You probanly have the mp3 bitrate too high and may be doubling a mono
    > track into stereo.
    >> I was
    >> under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
    >> smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
    >> convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

    > iTunes? FFMpeg? afplay? I can't remember if afplay will convert, but I
    > think it will.
    >
    > Oh, no, wait, it's afconvert to convert.

    The Wav file he trying to convert is a mp3
    and you can not convert mp3 in to a mp3..
    Hot_Text, Oct 27, 2013
  20. emf

    Hot_Text Guest

    Re: OT: WAV/MP3 (was: wav to mp3)