wav to mp3

emf

I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

Thanks,

emf

Hot_Text

emf said:
I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple
web converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and
hence should be smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use
< http://audacity.sourceforge.net >

dorayme

emf <[email protected]> said:
I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

Have you got Quicktime Pro? Handbrake? MPEG Streamclip? These enable
you to do this sort of thing.

Fokke Nauta

I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter as well as a couple web
converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files. I was
under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

Thanks,

emf

Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
a higher sample rate?

Fokke

emf

Yes, an MP3 file is normally spoken smaller that the original WAV file.
MP3 is a lossy compression method. I don't know why you produced an MP3
file which is way larger that the WAV file. Was it a mono WAV file with
a low sample rate, which is automatically converted to a stereo MP3 with
a higher sample rate?

Fokke

There does seem to be something peculiar with the file. I installed
Audacity, but it does not recognize it. Here is the file I want to convert:

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/tvshows/taletheme.wav

emf

Ben C

Does web browsers detect it properly?

Really the server should send it with the correct Content-Type header,
and the browser should use that as its primary source of information
(although who knows some of them might fall back to clever tricks if
you're lucky).

The server will often infer the content type just from the filename, so
if you rename it to mp3 probably everything will be all right.

But you should check what Content-Type header your server is sending.
Many browsers have a way of looking at the headers or you can use e.g.
curl -D.

Christoph Michael Becker

Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:
It sounds like an MP3 file.
To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.

Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
contains an MP3 audio stream.

Fokke Nauta

Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:

The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
contains an MP3 audio stream.

You mentioned that in your previous post.
But how can a WAV file contain an MP3 stream?

Fokke

Lewis

In message said:
I am trying to convert a 150 KB wav file to an mp3 to put it in a
webpage. I tried the RealPlayer Converter

Teeheehee. Real Player. Bwahaha.
as well as a couple web
converters, but I only managed to make 450 - 800 KB mp3 files.

You probanly have the mp3 bitrate too high and may be doubling a mono
track into stereo.
I was
under the impression that the mp3 file is compressed and hence should be
smaller, not bigger, than the wav. Isn't it true? And if yes, how can I
convert the wav to a smaller mp3?

iTunes? FFMpeg? afplay? I can't remember if afplay will convert, but I
think it will.

Oh, no, wait, it's afconvert to convert.

Hot_Text

JJ said:
Does web browsers detect it properly?

Open it up in a Player to Check the properly

Then you will see it is not a Wav File
But a Mp3 that was name a wav

For browsers do not look it see if it the right File
it jut send it to the Default play for that file

Microsoft Player will play it as a mp3 file

If you name the mp3 to a taletheme.swf
Default Flash Player will play it as a mp3 file

But you will not be Converter the SWF
Because it not a SWF

You as Webmaster
Do not know how to get a web browsers
Your MP3 it the Player of your choice

Wav Default Player is Microsoft Player

Hot_Text

Fokke Nauta said:
It sounds like an MP3 file.
To make matters worse, it IS an MP3 file.
It's a 11Khz 16b 16kBs mono file.

Don't know why its extension is changed into wav.

Fokke

Extension is changed into wav
To send it Default Player

Wav Default Microsoft Player
SWF Default Flash Player
Try it it works

Hot_Text

Christoph Michael Becker said:
Am 26.10.2013 15:27, schrieb Fokke Nauta:

The file extension is .wav, because it actually is a WAV file that
contains an MP3 audio stream.

Christoph

Audacity need the right extension

If he rename it the a MP3
then it will open up in
Audacity for editing

Because Audacity see no Wav in the file
And Audacity go by right extension only

Christoph Michael Becker

Hot_Text said:
Audacity need the right extension

If he rename it the a MP3
then it will open up in
Audacity for editing

I don't see that the file needs editing, and re*encoding* it to a
lossless format would decrease the already moderate quality. To have a
proper MP3 file, one just has to re*mux* it. This can be done, for
instance, with:

ffmpeg -i taletheme.wav -acodec copy taletheme.mp3
Because Audacity see no Wav in the file
And Audacity go by right extension only

The right extension is .wav, as the file is encoded as WAV (which is an
application of RIFF)[1]. You can see that, when you look at the
beginning of the file:

52 49 46 46 90 37 02 00 57 41 56 45
R I F F W A V E

When working with multimedia files, one should usually distinguish
between the container format (which should match the served MIME type)
and the format of the contained stream(s).

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV>

Hot_Text

Lewis said:
Teeheehee. Real Player. Bwahaha.
You probanly have the mp3 bitrate too high and may be doubling a mono
track into stereo.
iTunes? FFMpeg? afplay? I can't remember if afplay will convert, but I
think it will.

Oh, no, wait, it's afconvert to convert.
The Wav file he trying to convert is a mp3
and you can not convert mp3 in to a mp3..

< www.hot-text.ath.cx/TEPT/taletheme.gif >
< www.hot-text.ath.cx/TEPT/wmp-save-as.gif >
< www.hot-text.ath.cx/TEPT/in-audacity.gif >