Wavelet package available?

Gez

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a wavelet package available for Python?
This package should at least have the Daubechy wavelet.

Cheers,

Gez 75

Terry Reedy

Gez said:
Does anyone know if there is a wavelet package available for Python?
This package should at least have the Daubechy wavelet.

Before posting a question like this and waiting hours for a reply, one
should try a search engine like Google. In this case, "Python
wavelets"

If this fails, then post question and note what you tried without
success. This tells responders both that you made an effort and also
what they should not waste time on in trying to help you.

Teaching-you-to-fish-ly yours,

Terry J. Reedy

gez

Why this stupid answer? I tried to find python in combination with wavelets,
both in the normal Google search engine and the Google groups search. Also
jpython/jython, etc. but non of the results was what I wanted to use. So,
that is why I posted it here. Think this is exacly the place to be...

Looked at wavelets.org, looked for Java implementations,etc.etc.

Btw, I once wrote a wavelets (de)composition in Delphi and C++Builder. And
fyi, I looked up the faq. So, I am not a novice at all in this field, but I
just need a version in Python which I couldn't find.

So, please, think before you write such an answer. Not everybody is as
stupid as you think.

And even then. If someone doesn't know the correct search keywords for use
in Google, this place is still the place to be.

So please be more kind to the next poster that (in you eyes) posts a stupid
question.

Simon Burton

Why this stupid answer? I tried to find python in combination with wavelets,
both in the normal Google search engine and the Google groups search. Also
jpython/jython, etc. but non of the results was what I wanted to use. So,
that is why I posted it here. Think this is exacly the place to be...

Yeah. I remember the last wavelets post on c.l.py, not that long ago, and
no one had any thing to say. I am interested in python as a matlab
(maple, gap etc.) killer - more math stuff anyway..

Anyway, if you know of a nice C wavelet lib, it should only take a few
days to wrap - maybe i can help. I'm also keen to try pyrex on something.

Simon Burton.

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

Why this stupid answer? I tried to find python in combination with wavelets,
both in the normal Google search engine and the Google groups search. Also
jpython/jython, etc. but non of the results was what I wanted to use. So,
that is why I posted it here. Think this is exacly the place to be...

If Terry's answer was stupid like you say, then you shouldn't continue
your paragraph following precisely his suggestion (that is, providing
info about your previous efforts to answer your question). Imagine sb
telling me to jump off a bridge, me answering "this is stupid!" and then
jumping off the bridge... how would you call that?

[snip of more info about prior searches]
So, please, think before you write such an answer. Not everybody is as
stupid as you think.

Please note that Terry didn't call you stupid, he just hinted how to get
more helpful replies.
What exactly in his post was so offensive? Note that when he used the
phrase 'they should not waste time on' (a subsentence with high
offensive-likeness), the object (syntactically speaking) wasn't <you> or
<your post> but <possible paths to help answer your question>.

[snip]
So please be more kind to the next poster that (in you eyes) posts a stupid
question.

IMO Terry *wasn't* unkind towards your post, while IYO he *was*.

If you thought he patronized you, you should say so; but he never called
you or your post 'stupid'.

Please try another approach. Thank you.

Bengt Richter

Why this stupid answer? I tried to find python in combination with wavelets,
both in the normal Google search engine and the Google groups search. Also
jpython/jython, etc. but non of the results was what I wanted to use. So,
that is why I posted it here. Think this is exacly the place to be...
Right, but the compulsively helpful probably went off duplicating your search,
which you could have prevented or gotten a better refinement from, instead of
this round of "oh, well in that case, ..."
Looked at wavelets.org, looked for Java implementations,etc.etc.

Btw, I once wrote a wavelets (de)composition in Delphi and C++Builder. And
fyi, I looked up the faq. So, I am not a novice at all in this field, but I
just need a version in Python which I couldn't find.
So how different do you think the response would have been if you had started
with this background info in your post?
So, please, think before you write such an answer. Not everybody is as
stupid as you think.
Look in the mirror and say that, but think in terms of social stuff ;-)
And please don't top-post (ok, it could have been worse, at least you didn't post HTML ;-)
And even then. If someone doesn't know the correct search keywords for use
in Google, this place is still the place to be. Right again. So,

So please be more kind to the next poster that (in you eyes) posts a stupid
question.
And you please be more kind to the compulsively helpful, so that they can
help you and others better, not waste their time on stuff you could easily
steer them away from by mentioning more context. Doing so also gives you
a chance to head off replies you might take as implying you're stupid, if
you're prone to reading things that way ;-)

</previously_top_posted>

BTW, if you find some python wavelet stuff, I'd be interested to see it too ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Robert Kern

Gez said:
Does anyone know if there is a wavelet package available for Python?
This package should at least have the Daubechy wavelet.

At SciPy '03, Chad Netzer gave a presentation about his wavelet package which he
intends to submit to `SciPy`_. I don't think it's available yet (supposed to be
Real Soon Now (TM)), but you can get his email from his `web site`_.

... _SciPy: http://www.scipy.org
... _web site: http://vision.arc.nasa.gov/personnel/netzer/netzer.html

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
-- Richard Harter

Fernando Perez

google("python wavelets")[2] ->

http://baypiggies.net/pipermail/baypiggies/2003-September/000236.html

I saw the talk (well, the scipy'03 version), and I suppose if you contact Chad
directly he may be willing to mail you a copy of the package (I don't have it
myself, so don't ask me). I don't know anything about the internals of the
package, but at the talk he did show some nice functionality, mainly oriented
towards image manipulations.

Cheers,

f.

Chad Netzer

google("python wavelets")[2] ->

http://baypiggies.net/pipermail/baypiggies/2003-September/000236.html

I saw the talk (well, the scipy'03 version), and I suppose if you contact Chad
directly he may be willing to mail you a copy of the package (I don't have it
myself, so don't ask me). I don't know anything about the internals of the
package, but at the talk he did show some nice functionality, mainly oriented
towards image manipulations.

Thanks. I'm currently sorting out any final "rights" issues about the
code. As it stands, since I have glanced through enough of the Wavelab
code, I've decided I need to get approval from those authors before I
release it (I think I'm safe from any accusations of "infringement", as
I made an effort to write this package from classical texts; but I want
to be thorough).

Still haven't done it yet, though; been busy.

So, I expect to have it available before too long.

Chad