Ways my app can access server behind firewall

TS

What are the options if I have a web server outside a firewall used as the
presentation layer, and it needs to contact an app server located inside the
firewall?

I know I got web services and remoting, though I heard remoting is going
away - is it going to be replaced?

Any other options I have available using asp.net?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Those are your main options unless you want to go with COM interop then you
could try using some older technologies but they might not work as well.
Remoting is not exactly going away but it is evolving significantly.

WJ

Web Services is the way to "ferry" data back & forth via Port 80. You
already have it !

John

Joe Fallon

Can you elaborate on the changes to Remoting?
It is a key feature in Rocky Lhotka's CSLA framework.
I would like to hear what is coming down the road.
Thanks!
--
Joe Fallon

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, Rocky's book is a good one. I expect most of his designs will still be
sound even if the syntax requires some adjustments to take full advantage of
the new features. Backward compatibility is extremely important to them.
Microsoft hasn't released very many details on subject yet.
Part of the reason is that they are still working out exactly how it will
all work.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Guest

Thanks for the info.

On the same subject, if 2 servers are are the same domain, and I want to call a function from an app on one server to an app on the other server, do I still have to use remoting or web services, or is there some other way to talk through trusted connections?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

No, those are still the main techniques you'd use.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP