    new way of following this and other lists.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Cheers, JB.

    John Bond, Nov 2, 2010

  2. On 2010-11-02, John Bond <> wrote:
    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    > or online service?
    >
    > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
    > new way of following this and other lists.

    Point an NNTP client at new.gmane.org.

    This "list" is also a Usenet newsgroup (comp.lang.python), and there
    are a number of cheap/low-cost text-only Usenet providers.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... or were you
    at driving the PONTIAC that

    Grant Edwards, Nov 3, 2010

  3. John Bond

    Mark Wooding Guest

    John Bond <> writes:

    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    > or online service?
    >
    > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
    > new way of following this and other lists.

    I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
    server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
    (and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.

    (Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
    news-like expiry rules to email folders.)

    -- [mdw]

    Mark Wooding, Nov 4, 2010
  4. On Nov 3, 9:27 pm, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > Grant Edwards <> writes:
    > > On 2010-11-02, John Bond <> wrote:
    > > > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find
    > > > a new way of following this and other lists.

    > > Point an NNTP client at new.gmane.org.

    > Ditto, but the correct hostname is ‘news.gmane.org’.

    Hey.

    I'm was trying this, and got stuck for a while. I have found
    'gmane.comp.python.devel', which looks great for lurking, along with
    many other entries under gmane.comp.python.*. But I couldn't find
    *this* list (comp.lang.python) for ages, despite scrutinising possible
    aliases.

    For anyone else in the same boat, you are looking for
    gmane.comp.python.general.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Hartley, Nov 11, 2010
  5. On 2010-11-04, Mark Wooding <> wrote:
    > John Bond <> writes:
    >
    >> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >> or online service?
    >>
    >> My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
    >> new way of following this and other lists.

    > I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
    > server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
    > (and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.
    >
    > (Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
    > news-like expiry rules to email folders.)

    Same here: comp.lang.python and gnus. Well, right now I am actually trying
    out slrn -- a bit of a dejavu experience since I used slrn a bit in the
    early 1990s (and I have not used vi in many, many years).

    I have tried out other programs such as traditional email clients and
    mainstream gui programs such as Pan but find that user interface paradigm
    does not work well for usenet news and me.

    /Martin

    Martin Schoeoen, Dec 11, 2010
  6. On 12/11/10 3:32 PM, Martin Schoeoen wrote:
    > On 2010-11-04, Mark Wooding<> wrote:
    >> John Bond<> writes:
    >>
    >>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >>> or online service?

    Thunderbird + gmane works for me.

    Monte Milanuk, Dec 12, 2010
  7. John Bond

    Harishankar Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:15:13 -0800, Monte Milanuk wrote:
    > Thunderbird + gmane works for me.

    I myself post using Pan Usenet client accessing this mailing list from
    gmane.

    The advantage of a proper newsreader software is that it quotes correctly
    (i.e. quote at top, reply below). Many Usenet and mailing list users get
    angry if you top post (i.e. quote below the reply)

    --
    Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

    Harishankar, Dec 12, 2010
  8. John Bond

    Harishankar Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:18:52 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

    > That's a function of the person typing into it, not of the program.

    I was talking about the default program behaviour. Yes, you can move the
    cursor up or down, but I was talking about the way regular e-mail clients
    generally handle quoted blocks.

    --
    Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)

    Harishankar, Dec 12, 2010