Ways of accessing this mailing list?

John Bond

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
or online service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
new way of following this and other lists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, JB.

Grant Edwards

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
or online service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
new way of following this and other lists.

Point an NNTP client at new.gmane.org.

This "list" is also a Usenet newsgroup (comp.lang.python), and there
are a number of cheap/low-cost text-only Usenet providers.

Mark Wooding

John Bond said:
Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
or online service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
new way of following this and other lists.

I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
(and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.

(Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
news-like expiry rules to email folders.)

-- [mdw]

Jonathan Hartley

Ditto, but the correct hostname is ‘news.gmane.org’.

Hey.

I'm was trying this, and got stuck for a while. I have found
'gmane.comp.python.devel', which looks great for lurking, along with
many other entries under gmane.comp.python.*. But I couldn't find
*this* list (comp.lang.python) for ages, despite scrutinising possible
aliases.

For anyone else in the same boat, you are looking for
gmane.comp.python.general.

Jonathan

Martin Schoeoen

I read and post to it as comp.lang.python. I maintain a local NNTP
server, which interacts with my ISP's news server. I read and post news
(and mail) using GNU Emacs and Gnus.

(Interestingly, if enormous folders are your problem, Gnus can apply
news-like expiry rules to email folders.)
Same here: comp.lang.python and gnus. Well, right now I am actually trying
out slrn -- a bit of a dejavu experience since I used slrn a bit in the
early 1990s (and I have not used vi in many, many years).

I have tried out other programs such as traditional email clients and
mainstream gui programs such as Pan but find that user interface paradigm
does not work well for usenet news and me.

/Martin

Harishankar

Thunderbird + gmane works for me.

I myself post using Pan Usenet client accessing this mailing list from
gmane.

The advantage of a proper newsreader software is that it quotes correctly
(i.e. quote at top, reply below). Many Usenet and mailing list users get
angry if you top post (i.e. quote below the reply)

Harishankar

That's a function of the person typing into it, not of the program.

I was talking about the default program behaviour. Yes, you can move the
cursor up or down, but I was talking about the way regular e-mail clients
generally handle quoted blocks.