WCF service, legacy client using Basic authentication?

Jeff Stephens

I am trying to develop a WCF service hosted in IIS that will be called by a
Windows Mobile client. Because the client is using the Compact Framework, it
appears I won't be able to use either WCF or WSE in the client. The web
service will require authentication. I am therefore trying to use Basic
Authentication over HTTPS.

I have a simple WCF service, and a WCF client that works great. But for the
life of me, I can't get a simple web service client that works. I am using
VS 2008, the client project is targeted for .NET 2.0, and added a standard
web reference. I am supplying credentials to the proxy as follows:

proxy.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential(@"MyUserName",
"MyPassword", "MyDomain");

The config file for my service is as follows:

<system.serviceModel>
<bindings>
<basicHttpBinding>
<binding name="BasicAuthenticationConfiguration">
<security mode="Transport">
<transport clientCredentialType="Basic"/>
</security>
</binding>
</basicHttpBinding>
</bindings>
<services>
<service name="CalculatorService.Service"
behaviorConfiguration="CalculatorServiceBehavior">
<host>
<baseAddresses>
<add baseAddress="https://MyServer/CalculatorService/Service.svc" />
</baseAddresses>
</host>
<endpoint
name="BasicAuthenticationEndpoint"
address=""
binding="basicHttpBinding"
bindingConfiguration="BasicAuthenticationConfiguration"
contract="CalculatorService.ICalculator" />
<endpoint address="mex" binding="mexHttpBinding"
contract="IMetadataExchange" />
</service>
</services>
<behaviors>
<serviceBehaviors>
<behavior name="CalculatorServiceBehavior">
<serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true"/>
<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true"/>
</behavior>
</serviceBehaviors>
</behaviors>
</system.serviceModel>

The response I get is:

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401:
Unauthorized.

Oddly enough, if I omit the Domain parameter from the NetworkCredential
constructor, and instead use "MyDomain\MyUserName" in the UserName parameter,
I get a "401: Access Denied." response instead of "Unauthorized".

I'm sure that the credentials I'm using are valid (and indeed the same
credentials work just fine in the WCF client). It seems to make no
difference whether I use basicHttpBinding or wsHttpBinding.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions, thoughts, speculation or advice
would be very welcome at this point!

Jeff Stephens

Of course, as soon as I post this, I get it working. The solutions was to
disable "Integrated Windows authentication" in IIS. Why that would do the
trick, when I'm passing a Windows domain login, I don't understand. But at
least the client works now.