WCF to support existing ASP.NET 2.0 (ASMX) web services

Adrian Moldovan

Hi,
I am pretty new to WCF, and also not a magician of the ASMX web service
types, so my question might be dumb.
We have a few (old) .asmx web services, along with some clients running on
them, and we plan to upgrade the .asmx to .svc (WCF) web services.
1) What do we need to take care off in order not to break existing clients?
2) Do we need to keep the interfaces (classes & methods) from the old web
services? or there is some sort of layer we can map the old requests to the
new interface?
3) IS there any chance that by keeping the interfaces unchanged(classes and
methods from .asmx to be copied to .svc using XXXXXXXContract/Member
attributes) and provide and endpoint to the new web service so that existing
clients will still work?

Many thanks!

Adrian Moldovan

Anyone, any thoughts on this?
What do we need to watch for when upgrading old (.asmx) web services to new
WCF(.svc) services?

John Saunders

Adrian Moldovan said:
Anyone, any thoughts on this?
What do we need to watch for when upgrading old (.asmx) web services to
new
WCF(.svc) services?

Why do you want to do this?

Adrian Moldovan

John,
We have quite a few number of asmx web services, and even more clients using
them. Taking out the existing web services and pushing clients to a new
version is out of our options (although, one that we would like to have).

John Saunders

Adrian Moldovan said:
John,
We have quite a few number of asmx web services, and even more clients
using
them. Taking out the existing web services and pushing clients to a new
version is out of our options (although, one that we would like to have).

I mean, why not leave the existing ASMX services as they are?