WCF vs Web Service Security

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by BeerBoy, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. BeerBoy

    BeerBoy Guest

    In the past I have developed a web services application where each
    service authenticated a user by examining a token. It worked like
    this :

    A user calls a 'login' web service - this web service looks up the
    supplied username and password, if they are valid it creates a token
    by encrypting the username and a timestamp, it passes back the
    timestamp and the encrypted token.

    Now, every other call to any of the web services need to pass this
    timestamp and the encrypted token and the username. The web service
    will generate a new token from the timestamp and username it will
    compare this token with the one passed, if they match (and the
    timestamp has not expired of course) then the web service will
    continue with execution.

    Now, my questions are this:

    I am now developing a similar WCF solution but I don't know what this
    type of security is called. I also was wondering what is built into
    WCF in order to help me do this, if anything ?

    There seems to be a load of binding and security options but the
    documentantation all seems a bit abstract to me.

    I would be grateful if anyone could explain them to me in simple
    terms.

    Thanks in advance

    BeerBoy, Oct 28, 2008