We have an international standard: C++0x is unanimously approved

Discussion in 'C++' started by Niels Dekker - no reply address, Aug 12, 2011.

  1. Niels Dekker - no reply address, Aug 12, 2011

  2. Niels Dekker - no reply address

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Lynn McGuire, Aug 13, 2011

  3. Niels Dekker - no reply address

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 2011-08-12, Niels Dekker - no reply address wrote:
    > http://herbsutter.com/2011/08/12/we-have-an-international-standard-c0x-is-unanimously-approved

    I don't think he'll mind if I quote the whole thing:

    The final ISO ballot on C++0x closed on Wednesday, and we just
    received the results: Unanimous approval.

    The next revision of C++ that we've been calling "C++0x" is now an
    International Standard! Geneva will take several months to publish
    it, but we hope it will be published well within the year, and
    then we'll be able to call it "C++11."

    I want to extend my thanks again to Bjarne Stroustrup for sharing
    his work with the world and continuing to help move it forward,
    and to all of the participants whose hard work went into achieving
    this important milestone in the history of a great language.
    Thanks!

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 14, 2011
  4. On Aug 12, 11:15 pm, Niels Dekker - no reply address
    <> wrote:
    > http://herbsutter.com/2011/08/12/we-have-an-international-standard-c0...

    That's great news. Thanks to everyone involved in the work on the
    standard. I hope that the standard, with all its great features, is
    quickly adopted by the compiler developers, and that work moves
    swiftly on to the exciting proposals for the next standard update
    (proposed features such as 'modules' and 'concepts'; my two favorites
    among the features that didn't make it into C++11).

    Regards,
    Vidar Hasfjord

    Vidar Hasfjord, Aug 15, 2011
  5. Niels Dekker - no reply address

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 8/12/2011 5:15 PM, Niels Dekker - no reply address wrote:
    > http://herbsutter.com/2011/08/12/we-have-an-international-standard-c0x-is-unanimously-approved :-D
    >
    > Kind regards, Niels

    And Stroustrup likes it !
    http://www.softwarequalityconnection.com/2011/06/the-biggest-changes-in-c11-and-why-you-should-care/

    "Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, said recently that C++11
    “feels like a new language — the pieces just fit together better.”
    Indeed, core C++11 has changed significantly. It now supports
    lambda expressions, automatic type deduction of objects, uniform
    initialization syntax, delegating constructors, deleted and
    defaulted function declarations, nullptr, and most importantly,
    rvalue references — a feature that augurs a paradigm shift in how
    one conceives and handles objects. And that’s just a sample."

    "The C++11 Standard Library was also revamped with new algorithms,
    new container classes, atomic operations, type traits, regular
    expressions, new smart pointers, async() facility, and of course
    a multithreading library."

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Aug 15, 2011
  6. Niels Dekker - no reply address