we need some data on line

parag_paul

hi All,
We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
I need the word and the meaning.
We need to test our individual algos
-Parag

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
hi All,
We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
I need the word and the meaning.
We need to test our individual algos

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wordlist/scowl-6.zip contains various word
lists, ranging in counts from ~5,000 to ~190,000.

Richard Heathfield

Bartc said:
These look like just words to me.

Oops, my mistake. I read the article too quickly.
I'd be interested too in a list of words + meanings. (For free of
course.)

My pleasure:

C - average student grade.
C - Calorie.
C - Cape.
C - carbon.
C - Celsius.
C - century.
C - Conservative.
C - note in the musical scale.
C - programming language.
C - third letter of the modern English alphabet.

Bartc

Richard Heathfield said:
Bartc said:

Oops, my mistake. I read the article too quickly.

My pleasure:

C - average student grade.
C - Calorie.
C - Cape.
C - carbon.
C - Celsius.
C - century.
C - Conservative.
C - note in the musical scale.
C - programming language.
C - third letter of the modern English alphabet.

OK, thanks. That's a start.

Richard Tobin

We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
I need the word and the meaning.

Why do you need the meaning? If it's just searching you could use
fictitious text.

Searching for "webster gutenberg" may give you something usable.

-- Richard

Bartc

Richard said:
Why do you need the meaning? If it's just searching you could use
fictitious text.

Searching for "webster gutenberg" may give you something usable.

Well I found this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/673

A text with special markups. After a lot of messing around with fgetc/fputc,
I got a usable dictionary.

Only problem is it doesn't have any naughty words in it, so may be an
ancient text. This definition seems to confirm this:

Computer:
Com*put"er (?), n. One who computes.

Dann Corbit

Bartc said:
Well I found this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/673

A text with special markups. After a lot of messing around with
fgetc/fputc,
I got a usable dictionary.

Only problem is it doesn't have any naughty words in it, so may be an
ancient text. This definition seems to confirm this:

Computer:
Com*put"er (?), n. One who computes.

6 million hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download+(dictionary+OR+dict)

3.98 million hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download+(dictionary+OR+dict)+english

69,400 hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download+(dictionary+OR+dict)+english+unabridged

I have some Unix style dictionaries (I have no idea where I found them) that
are over 8MB in size.