    We need to test our individual algos
    -Parag

    , Mar 31, 2008

  2. said:

    > hi All,
    > We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
    > code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
    > there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
    > place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
    > I need the word and the meaning.
    > We need to test our individual algos

    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wordlist/scowl-6.zip contains various word
    lists, ranging in counts from ~5,000 to ~190,000.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Bartc Guest

    > said:
    >
    >> hi All,
    >> We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
    >> code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
    >> there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
    >> place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
    >> I need the word and the meaning.
    >> We need to test our individual algos

    > http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wordlist/scowl-6.zip contains various
    > word
    > lists, ranging in counts from ~5,000 to ~190,000.

    These look like just words to me.

    I'd be interested too in a list of words + meanings. (For free of course.)

    --
    Bart

    Bartc, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Bartc said:

    > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> hi All,
    >>> We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
    >>> code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
    >>> there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
    >>> place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
    >>> I need the word and the meaning.
    >>> We need to test our individual algos

    >> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wordlist/scowl-6.zip contains various
    >> word
    >> lists, ranging in counts from ~5,000 to ~190,000.

    > These look like just words to me.

    Oops, my mistake. I read the article too quickly.

    > I'd be interested too in a list of words + meanings. (For free of
    > course.)

    My pleasure:

    C - average student grade.
    C - Calorie.
    C - Cape.
    C - carbon.
    C - Celsius.
    C - century.
    C - Conservative.
    C - note in the musical scale.
    C - programming language.
    C - third letter of the modern English alphabet.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Bartc Guest

    > Bartc said:
    >

    >> "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wordlist/scowl-6.zip contains various
    >>> word
    >>> lists, ranging in counts from ~5,000 to ~190,000.

    >> These look like just words to me.

    > Oops, my mistake. I read the article too quickly.
    >
    >> I'd be interested too in a list of words + meanings. (For free of
    >> course.)

    > My pleasure:
    >
    > C - average student grade.
    > C - Calorie.
    > C - Cape.
    > C - carbon.
    > C - Celsius.
    > C - century.
    > C - Conservative.
    > C - note in the musical scale.
    > C - programming language.
    > C - third letter of the modern English alphabet.

    OK, thanks. That's a start.

    --
    Bart

    Bartc, Mar 31, 2008
  6. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a dictionary
    >code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K words and
    >there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me to some
    >place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that data
    >I need the word and the meaning.

    Why do you need the meaning? If it's just searching you could use
    fictitious text.

    Searching for "webster gutenberg" may give you something usable.

    -- Richard
    --
    :wq

    Richard Tobin, Mar 31, 2008
  7. Bartc Guest

    Richard Tobin wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a
    >> dictionary code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K
    >> words and there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me
    >> to some place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that
    >> data
    >> I need the word and the meaning.

    > Why do you need the meaning? If it's just searching you could use
    > fictitious text.
    >
    > Searching for "webster gutenberg" may give you something usable.

    Well I found this:

    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/673

    A text with special markups. After a lot of messing around with fgetc/fputc,
    I got a usable dictionary.

    Only problem is it doesn't have any naughty words in it, so may be an
    ancient text. This definition seems to confirm this:

    Computer:
    Com*put"er (?), n. One who computes.

    --
    Bart

    Bartc, Apr 1, 2008
  8. Dann Corbit Guest

    "Bartc" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Tobin wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We are trying out our access algorithms ( retrieval ) for a
    >>> dictionary code, Now , we need some where on the net a list of 50K
    >>> words and there corresponding meanings. Can anybody please point me
    >>> to some place where I can get that. Or at least I can extract that
    >>> data
    >>> I need the word and the meaning.

    >> Why do you need the meaning? If it's just searching you could use
    >> fictitious text.
    >>
    >> Searching for "webster gutenberg" may give you something usable.

    > Well I found this:
    >
    > http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/673
    >
    > A text with special markups. After a lot of messing around with
    > fgetc/fputc,
    > I got a usable dictionary.
    >
    > Only problem is it doesn't have any naughty words in it, so may be an
    > ancient text. This definition seems to confirm this:
    >
    > Computer:
    > Com*put"er (?), n. One who computes.

    6 million hits:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download (dictionary OR dict)

    3.98 million hits:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download (dictionary OR dict) english

    69,400 hits:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download (dictionary OR dict) english unabridged

    I have some Unix style dictionaries (I have no idea where I found them) that
    are over 8MB in size.

    Dann Corbit, Apr 1, 2008