    any hints appreciated...

    thanks

    lester

    lester psigal, Aug 3, 2007

  2. lester psigal

    G Guest

    lester psigal wrote:
    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without
    > browser frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent
    > popup windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    > does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about
    > such technology?
    > any hints appreciated...
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > lester

    that's ad popups and new entries into text adverts.
    nothing to do with 2.0
    2.0 is really more about styling and efficient content delivery.

    G, Aug 3, 2007

  3. lester psigal

    rf Guest

    "lester psigal" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    > frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    > windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    > does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    > technology?
    > any hints appreciated...

    What?

    --
    Richard

    rf, Aug 3, 2007
  4. lester psigal wrote:
    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    > frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    > windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    > does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    > technology?
    > any hints appreciated...
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > lester

    hi,
    thanks to all for answering my question, especially to michael fesser
    and ben c, if i get you right, those 'popping up', 'frameless' windows
    are not really window objects of their own in the sense of javascript,
    they are more a kind of 'dynamic css' (that's what i've assumed) and are
    triggered via javascript and dom in the already loaded window object and
    just 'mimicking' the behaviour of a real popup window.
    the reason i've asked was that i did not find a coding example or even
    mentioning of the technology in my web programming literature and when
    looking to the source code of e.g. ask.com it wasn't obvious to me how
    it exactly works.

    lester

    lester psigal, Aug 3, 2007
  5. lester psigal wrote:
    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    > frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    > windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    > does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    > technology?
    > any hints appreciated...

    pop-ups are so 90s. just forget about them (together with the frames you
    mentioned). Sorry, but I didn't understand the rest of your question.
    Web2.0 has nothing to do with what you described. Web2.0 is mainly a
    buzzword and usually refers to user-content-generated sites and all the
    involved collateral damage (mash-ups, x-site-content generation)

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 3, 2007
  6. ..oO(lester psigal)

    >more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    >frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    >frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    >windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    >sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    >(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    >how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

    It's often just a 'div' with a semi-transparent background (PNG for
    example), absolutely positioned with CSS on top of everything else.

    >does it belong to web 2.0

    "Web 2.0" is just a marketing gag, nothing special, nothing new.

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Aug 3, 2007
  7. lester psigal

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-08-03, lester psigal <> wrote:
    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    > frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    > windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

    They are probably not actual windows in the way that a traditional popup
    is, but absolutely-positioned divs with opacity set on them that are
    toggled from visibility: hidden to visibility: visible by JS/DOM. Their
    contents can be updated dynamically just like any other part of the
    document from JS using the DOM.

    You can style them how you like, including not giving them borders.

    > does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    > technology?

    Web 2.0 is just a buzzword but yes this kind of thing is associated with
    it. If you want to try out things like this, read about the DOM and
    JavaScript. If you want the page to be able to refresh parts of its
    contents with data from the server without reloading completely, use the
    XMLHttpRequest object.

    Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
    you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use of
    lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
    borders, etc. :)

    Ben C, Aug 3, 2007
  8. While the city slept, Ben C () feverishly typed...
    [...]

    > Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
    > you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use
    > of lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
    > borders, etc. :)

    LOL! Probably one of the finest explanations of "Web 2.0" I've ever read ;-)

    Might I also suggest "having a name that makes little sense" (eg, "flickr",
    "bebo" etc)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Aug 3, 2007

    http://validator.buzzword.org.uk

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 44 days, 57 min.]

    Command Line Interfaces, Again
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/08/02/command-line-again/

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 3, 2007
  10. lester psigal

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-08-03, lester psigal <> wrote:
    > lester psigal wrote:
    >> hi,
    >> more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    >> frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    >> frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    >> windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    >> sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    >> (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    >> how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    >> does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    >> technology?
    >> any hints appreciated...
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> lester
    >>

    > hi,
    > thanks to all for answering my question, especially to michael fesser
    > and ben c, if i get you right, those 'popping up', 'frameless' windows
    > are not really window objects of their own in the sense of javascript,
    > they are more a kind of 'dynamic css' (that's what i've assumed) and are
    > triggered via javascript and dom in the already loaded window object and
    > just 'mimicking' the behaviour of a real popup window.

    Yes I think that's how they're done.

    > the reason i've asked was that i did not find a coding example or even
    > mentioning of the technology in my web programming literature and when
    > looking to the source code of e.g. ask.com it wasn't obvious to me how
    > it exactly works.

    I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
    simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.

    http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

    Ben C, Aug 3, 2007
  11. lester psigal

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <46b380b7$0$97250$>,
    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote:

    > While the city slept, Ben C () feverishly typed...
    > [...]
    >
    > > Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
    > > you get points for ... excessive use
    > > of lowercase...

    This makes me feel 'Web 2.0'y. It feels modern and progressive
    and young...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 3, 2007
  12. Ben C wrote:

    > I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
    > simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.
    >
    > http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

    Nothing happened here, with Firefox. Of course, JavaScript is stripped
    by my corporate firewall.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 4, 2007
  13. Re: CSS/js "popups" was Re: web 2.0 ??

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed lester psigal
    <> writing in news:46b2edac$0$3830$9b4e6d93
    @newsspool4.arcor-online.net:

    > hi,
    > more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    > frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    > frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    > windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    > sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    > (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    > how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

    Personally, I think these things are worse than "real" popups because you
    can't move them out of the way. One of the worst offenders is
    http://www.tek-tips.com. It ##$$$%%% thing drops down from the top of
    the screen and places itself right where you want, or more likely
    started, to read - you have to close it.

    Please, if you're thinking about doing this, don't. At least use regular
    popups that my browser can block. Thanks!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 5, 2007
  14. lester psigal

    Bergamot Guest

    Re: CSS/js "popups" was Re: web 2.0 ??

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > Personally, I think these things are worse than "real" popups because you
    > can't move them out of the way. One of the worst offenders is
    > http://www.tek-tips.com.

    Now there's a great example of why I browse with JS disabled by default.
    You might consider doing that, too.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Aug 6, 2007
  15. Ben C wrote:
    > On 2007-08-03, lester psigal <> wrote:
    >> lester psigal wrote:
    >>> hi,
    >>> more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
    >>> frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
    >>> frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
    >>> windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
    >>> sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
    >>> (vibrant technologies) or kontera.
    >>> how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
    >>> does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
    >>> technology?
    >>> any hints appreciated...
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> lester
    >>>

    >> hi,
    >> thanks to all for answering my question, especially to michael fesser
    >> and ben c, if i get you right, those 'popping up', 'frameless' windows
    >> are not really window objects of their own in the sense of javascript,
    >> they are more a kind of 'dynamic css' (that's what i've assumed) and are
    >> triggered via javascript and dom in the already loaded window object and
    >> just 'mimicking' the behaviour of a real popup window.

    > Yes I think that's how they're done.
    >
    >> the reason i've asked was that i did not find a coding example or even
    >> mentioning of the technology in my web programming literature and when
    >> looking to the source code of e.g. ask.com it wasn't obvious to me how
    >> it exactly works.

    > I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
    > simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.
    >
    > http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

    thanks for the coding example, works perfectly with my browser
    (firefox). surely there are pages out there which are abusing such
    capabilities for their aggressive advertising campaigns (as usually)
    but i think it's not a bad thing on its own.
    there are cases where it could be very useful to have
    such dynamic popups not opening in a separate browser windows, for
    example i'm planning to implement those popups for help functionality on
    form fields.

    lester psigal, Aug 6, 2007
  16. Ben C wrote:

    > Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
    > you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use of
    > lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
    > borders, etc. :)

    and using glass-effects on every single logo... I get so fed up with
    those, and what amazes me most is that many big companies started to
    redesign their logos in a 'web2.0' manner (e.g. ford). wonder how long
    this trend will last. (if you want to create your *own* web2.0-logo:
    http://creatr.cc/creatr/ :)

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 6, 2007
  17. lester psigal

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-08-06, lester psigal <> wrote:
    > Ben C wrote:

    [...]
    >> I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
    >> simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.
    >>
    >> http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

    > thanks for the coding example, works perfectly with my browser
    > (firefox). surely there are pages out there which are abusing such
    > capabilities for their aggressive advertising campaigns (as usually)

    Probably, but if a page is too annoying people just stop reading it so
    that aggressive approach can easily backfire.

    > but i think it's not a bad thing on its own.
    > there are cases where it could be very useful to have
    > such dynamic popups not opening in a separate browser windows, for
    > example i'm planning to implement those popups for help functionality on
    > form fields.

    I don't see why not, although you should bear in mind that some people
    turn off JavaScript or even get it stripped out by their firewall.

    Ben C, Aug 6, 2007