web 2.0 ??

lester psigal

hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
technology?
any hints appreciated...

thanks

lester

lester said:
hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without
browser frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent
popup windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about
such technology?
any hints appreciated...

thanks

lester

that's ad popups and new entries into text adverts.
nothing to do with 2.0
2.0 is really more about styling and efficient content delivery.

rf

lester psigal said:
hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
technology?
any hints appreciated...

What?

lester psigal

lester said:
hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
technology?
any hints appreciated...

thanks

lester
hi,
thanks to all for answering my question, especially to michael fesser
and ben c, if i get you right, those 'popping up', 'frameless' windows
are not really window objects of their own in the sense of javascript,
they are more a kind of 'dynamic css' (that's what i've assumed) and are
triggered via javascript and dom in the already loaded window object and
just 'mimicking' the behaviour of a real popup window.
the reason i've asked was that i did not find a coding example or even
mentioning of the technology in my web programming literature and when
looking to the source code of e.g. ask.com it wasn't obvious to me how
it exactly works.

lester

Bernhard Sturm

lester said:
hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
technology?
any hints appreciated...

pop-ups are so 90s. just forget about them (together with the frames you
mentioned). Sorry, but I didn't understand the rest of your question.
Web2.0 has nothing to do with what you described. Web2.0 is mainly a
buzzword and usually refers to user-content-generated sites and all the
involved collateral damage (mash-ups, x-site-content generation)

bernhard

Michael Fesser

..oO(lester psigal)
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

It's often just a 'div' with a semi-transparent background (PNG for
example), absolutely positioned with CSS on top of everything else.
does it belong to web 2.0

"Web 2.0" is just a marketing gag, nothing special, nothing new.

Micha

Ben C

hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

They are probably not actual windows in the way that a traditional popup
is, but absolutely-positioned divs with opacity set on them that are
toggled from visibility: hidden to visibility: visible by JS/DOM. Their
contents can be updated dynamically just like any other part of the
document from JS using the DOM.

You can style them how you like, including not giving them borders.
does it belong to web 2.0 and where can i find www resources about such
technology?

Web 2.0 is just a buzzword but yes this kind of thing is associated with
it. If you want to try out things like this, read about the DOM and
JavaScript. If you want the page to be able to refresh parts of its
contents with data from the server without reloading completely, use the
XMLHttpRequest object.

Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use of
lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
borders, etc. :)

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Ben C ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
[...]
Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use
of lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
borders, etc. :)

LOL! Probably one of the finest explanations of "Web 2.0" I've ever read ;-)

Might I also suggest "having a name that makes little sense" (eg, "flickr",
"bebo" etc)

Cheers,
Nige

Toby A Inkster

http://validator.buzzword.org.uk

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 44 days, 57 min.]

Command Line Interfaces, Again
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/08/02/command-line-again/

Ben C

hi,
thanks to all for answering my question, especially to michael fesser
and ben c, if i get you right, those 'popping up', 'frameless' windows
are not really window objects of their own in the sense of javascript,
they are more a kind of 'dynamic css' (that's what i've assumed) and are
triggered via javascript and dom in the already loaded window object and
just 'mimicking' the behaviour of a real popup window.

Yes I think that's how they're done.
the reason i've asked was that i did not find a coding example or even
mentioning of the technology in my web programming literature and when
looking to the source code of e.g. ask.com it wasn't obvious to me how
it exactly works.

I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed lester psigal
hi,
more and more web sites are coming up with new features like those
frameless ( with frameless i mean those windows totally without browser
frame, not those generated by javascript/css ), transparent popup
windows with (dynamic) web content, e.g. ask.com.
sometimes they are generated by (top-text) services like intellitext
(vibrant technologies) or kontera.
how do those popups technology work (code-technically)?

Personally, I think these things are worse than "real" popups because you
can't move them out of the way. One of the worst offenders is
http://www.tek-tips.com. It ##$$$%%% thing drops down from the top of
the screen and places itself right where you want, or more likely
started, to read - you have to close it.

Please, if you're thinking about doing this, don't. At least use regular
popups that my browser can block. Thanks!

Bergamot

Adrienne said:
Personally, I think these things are worse than "real" popups because you
can't move them out of the way. One of the worst offenders is
http://www.tek-tips.com.

Now there's a great example of why I browse with JS disabled by default.
You might consider doing that, too.

lester psigal

Ben said:
Yes I think that's how they're done.

I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

thanks for the coding example, works perfectly with my browser
(firefox). surely there are pages out there which are abusing such
capabilities for their aggressive advertising campaigns (as usually)
but i think it's not a bad thing on its own.
there are cases where it could be very useful to have
such dynamic popups not opening in a separate browser windows, for
example i'm planning to implement those popups for help functionality on
form fields.

Bernhard Sturm

Ben said:
Whether the result counts as Web 2.0 is done on a scoring system where
you get points for using XMLHttpRequest, having a blog, excessive use of
lowercase, opacity effects, cool limegreen colour scheme, dashed
borders, etc. :)

and using glass-effects on every single logo... I get so fed up with
those, and what amazes me most is that many big companies started to
redesign their logos in a 'web2.0' manner (e.g. ford). wonder how long
this trend will last. (if you want to create your *own* web2.0-logo:
http://creatr.cc/creatr/ :)

cheers
bernhard

Ben C

Ben C wrote: [...]
I tried an example, you can look at the source, it should be quite
simple. Don't know if it works in IE but Firefox should be OK.

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/popup.html

thanks for the coding example, works perfectly with my browser
(firefox). surely there are pages out there which are abusing such
capabilities for their aggressive advertising campaigns (as usually)

Probably, but if a page is too annoying people just stop reading it so
that aggressive approach can easily backfire.
but i think it's not a bad thing on its own.
there are cases where it could be very useful to have
such dynamic popups not opening in a separate browser windows, for
example i'm planning to implement those popups for help functionality on
form fields.

I don't see why not, although you should bear in mind that some people
turn off JavaScript or even get it stripped out by their firewall.