Web app deployment Server Error

Glenn Owens

I've just deployed an asp.net 1.1 web app to the remote server (Win
2000). All of the pages work fine with one exception.

Part of this app's purpose is to upload and download files to/from a
database. The upload works without any problems. The download however
gives me the following error:

=======================

Server Error in '/MyWebApp' Application.

The rest of the error is all about setting up the <customErrors
mode="Off" />, etc. (which I did with no effect on being able to
diagnos the problem).

=======================

I have to believe that I have some kind of an access error trying to
create the download file:

Dim fs As New FileStream(filename, FileMode.Create).

I have set the <identity impersonate="true"/> in the web.config file
and the IIS Directory Security is set to Integrated Windows
Authentication ONLY.

So...

Why can I upload but not download???

I'm running this app on our intranet and would really like to open up
the security to allow users to download files to any folder/directory
to which they normally have access. Since this will be widely used I
don't want to have to create "super users" or have the users specify
special permissions on directories (it's a good day when they can
logon sucessfully).

I'm on a very tight timeline so any help would be really great!!!

TIA
Glenn

Glenn Owens

OK, well for those of you out there that also make dumb mistakes...

I had forgotten to convert the directory path (obtained from
SHBrowseForFolder/Javascript) to a fully qualified URL. Once that was
done the app proceeded.

Now for the next step/problem.

When I run the app from my remote client the app requests a logon
account/password for the web server. Why??? If it had asked me to
logon to my remote client I might have understood (I don't want the
user to have to log on... but I might have understood).

I'm think that I'm really close to getting this app fully deployed but
I definitely need some input around this security issue.

TIA
Glenn

Guest

Are your userID and workstation in the same domain as the Web server? If not,
the authentication that IE passes through won't be recognized. I think you've
set it to Wndows Integrated and using impersonation so it has to get the
authentication from someone before it can proceed.

Glenn Owens

Ken, thanks for your reply.

The UserId and workstation and web Server are all in the same domain.
You'll have to forgive my lack of understanding around the security
(I've still learning from the bottom up).

As I mentioned, the uploading of the app works ok as does the ability to
browse through the image gallery portion of the app. My only problem
comes when I attemtp to download.

The following is a snippet of the download code:

Dim fs As New FileStream(filename, FileMode.Create)
Dim bw As New BinaryWriter(fs)
Dim ms As New MemoryStream
Dim bm As New Bitmap(img.Image, width, height)

bm.SetResolution(dpi, dpi)

bm.Save(ms, img.GetJPEGEncoderInfo(), _
img.GetEncoderParameters)

bw.Write(ms.ToArray)

Obviously I'm missing something. I suspect that, although the rest of
the app can access the web/client resources the attempt to create the
new file on the remote client is going through some extra
authentication??? But I still don't understand why I'm asked to log on
to the web server; and, further, why - when I attempt to provide a valid
account/password the logon is always rejected.

Any thoughts?

Glenn