Web Application unable to connect to a webservice

Meena

Hi,

I have devloped a webservice for a cutsomer. They have some other company
developing the front end web application for them.All these days they were
testing connectivity from withnin the same network i guess. Now they say that
they have hosted their web applcation outside the DMZ zone. ( I am not
familiar with these terms very well and so i do not understand this much).
They say that since intenet users acces the web site they have to keepthe
front end speerated out outside the company's network. They are unable to
have their web application talk to my webservice. My webservice is hotsed in
IIS and I followed the recommeneded practcie and have anonymous access
unchecked and use integrated windows authentication. Any idea if I have to do
something at my end or this is something the front end web application
developers need to do

Thanks
Meena

Mujtaba Syed

Meena:

This is a web service to be consumed by clients on the Internet and not on
the Intranet. So similar to a web application for the Internet, you have to
use anonymous authentication. If you want security you should use custom
SOAP headers.

Thanks.

Dan Rogers

Hi Meena,

Routing requests from a public web server, through a DMZ, into a server on
your intranet is going to require some assistance from your company's
networking people. The quick answer is that you need to use a set of
routers that allows specific requests to get through to your web service.
It would be unusual if integrated security would work after this, as it is
rare that an external server is given internal domain permisions (for
security sake) - but not impossible.

Before you figure out what you need to do, or if you have to recode any
parts (hightly doubtful), work with a very knowledgeable networking person
to help them to understand what you need to do. They can set up a number
of options, ranging from port filtering solutions, VPN's between the
machines, etc.

This isn't a problem to do alone - especially if you don't yet know what a
DMZ is.

Best regards,
Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation