Web Application unable to connect to a webservice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Meena, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Meena

    Meena Guest

    Hi,

    I have devloped a webservice for a cutsomer. They have some other company
    developing the front end web application for them.All these days they were
    testing connectivity from withnin the same network i guess. Now they say that
    they have hosted their web applcation outside the DMZ zone. ( I am not
    familiar with these terms very well and so i do not understand this much).
    They say that since intenet users acces the web site they have to keepthe
    front end speerated out outside the company's network. They are unable to
    have their web application talk to my webservice. My webservice is hotsed in
    IIS and I followed the recommeneded practcie and have anonymous access
    unchecked and use integrated windows authentication. Any idea if I have to do
    something at my end or this is something the front end web application
    developers need to do

    Thanks
    Meena

    Meena, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Meena

    Mujtaba Syed Guest

    Meena:

    This is a web service to be consumed by clients on the Internet and not on
    the Intranet. So similar to a web application for the Internet, you have to
    use anonymous authentication. If you want security you should use custom
    SOAP headers.

    Thanks.

    Mujtaba Syed, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Meena

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Meena,

    Routing requests from a public web server, through a DMZ, into a server on
    your intranet is going to require some assistance from your company's
    networking people. The quick answer is that you need to use a set of
    routers that allows specific requests to get through to your web service.
    It would be unusual if integrated security would work after this, as it is
    rare that an external server is given internal domain permisions (for
    security sake) - but not impossible.

    Before you figure out what you need to do, or if you have to recode any
    parts (hightly doubtful), work with a very knowledgeable networking person
    to help them to understand what you need to do. They can set up a number
    of options, ranging from port filtering solutions, VPN's between the
    machines, etc.

    This isn't a problem to do alone - especially if you don't yet know what a
    DMZ is.

    Best regards,
    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation