Web applications communicating each other

Albert

Hello there!

My question is asked frequently but I haven't seen any reliable
implementation.

So, how can two different web applications communicate each other?
Are there any open source or sample projects or any type of documentation
telling how to do this? I have read from forums that e.g. use RMI, but a
more
exact information would help a lot.

Best regards,
* Albert *

Wendy S

Albert said:
So, how can two different web applications communicate each other?
Are there any open source or sample projects or any type of documentation
telling how to do this? I have read from forums that e.g. use RMI, but a
more
exact information would help a lot.

Depends on how complicated it is. I have a authorization/authentication
webapp that responds to HTTP post with plain text. IOW, the client webapp
posts a request, and my webapp just "prints" out a response.

I could do the same thing but "print" out XML instead of plain text that has
to be specially parsed, and then the client webapp could use the existing
XML stuff such as parsers and perhaps JDOM to make it easy to work with the
response.

Another webapp uses Apache Axis and the webapps communicate via SOAP over
HTTP. (Much larger learning curve with this!)

BrainC

Hey Albert,

Wendy's solution is a good option, however, if you are looking for
something fast and simple, I would recommend Socket and ServerSocket
classes.

You really don't have to learn much to use this technology, it
basically allows you to define a port you want the information to go
through, an application to act as a server, an application to act as a
client and fom there on it's whatever you want to do.

There is plenty of information on the web, just search for "java
socket sample" and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

BrainC