web based bibliography creation by users

tpederse

I would like to have a web page (prefer the use of cgi) where users can
enter information for a bibliography I would like to compile about some
software that we have distributed. I plan to ask our users who have
used our software and have ended up writing a paper or other
publication based on those experiences to go to this site, enter their
information about the resulting publication (author, title, where
published, where available if online, etc) and then have that updated
online at my web site so other users can see it and access. I am sure I
should have some ability to approve or delete entries that are
submitted.
Is anyone aware of a Perl module with these capabilities?

Thanks!
Ted

Matt Garrish

[snip description of web editing/display needs]
Is anyone aware of a Perl module with these capabilities?

You're looking for a web application, not a single Perl module. You'll
either need to start building a site yourself, find something you can buy or
pay someone to build the site for you.

If you don't know where to start with Perl, take a look at CGI.pm for your
form processing needs and the DBI module and drivers if you want to store
the information you collect in a database (MySQL is always a good, free
choice). If you don't know where to start with the html, buy a good book
and/or try the comp.infosystem.www.authoring.* groups for help.

Matt

Alan Mead

Star date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:18:16 -0800, tpederse's log:
I would like to have a web page (prefer the use of cgi) where users can
enter information for a bibliography I would like to compile about some ....
online at my web site so other users can see it and access. I am sure I
should have some ability to approve or delete entries that are
submitted.
Is anyone aware of a Perl module with these capabilities?

Ted,

Of ngrams fame?

There might be a Perl CGI or PHP application that could be bent to do
this, such as the venerable "guestbook" programs or even a wiki.

If you keep it simple, I think it could easily be done from scratch as a
Perl CGI using some sort of database file backend to store entries.

This isn't strictly appropriate for this newsgroup. But I'd be happy to
help you off-line (send me an email).

-Alan Mead

Ted

Hi Matt, yes, indeed, this really is more like a web application than
a single Perl module. But, I just can't imagine that this is such a
specialized application that it doesn't already exist somewhere,
somehow. It's really just a glorified guest book. Database issues
don't really enter into this as there will be at most 100 entries.
Maybe that will make it more clear what we're seeking here...
Thanks!
Ted

Matt Garrish

Ted said:
Hi Matt, yes, indeed, this really is more like a web application than
a single Perl module. But, I just can't imagine that this is such a
specialized application that it doesn't already exist somewhere,
somehow. It's really just a glorified guest book. Database issues
don't really enter into this as there will be at most 100 entries.
Maybe that will make it more clear what we're seeking here...

You might be able to reconfigure one of the nms scripts:

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

Certainly a better starting place than most of the awful free hacks you'll
find on the Web.

Matt

Ted

Thanks Matt,

This is a nice suggestion, looks like a good site with a few different
scripts that could be useful!

Thanks again!
Ted

William Goedicke

Dear Ted -

Ted> I would like to have a web page (prefer the use of cgi) where
Ted> users can enter information for a bibliography [...] and then
Ted> have that updated online at my web site so other users can
Ted> see it and access. I am sure I should have some ability to
Ted> approve or delete entries that are submitted. Is anyone
Ted> aware of a Perl module with these capabilities?

As Matt suggested (and you concurred) this is more an application than
a module. I suggest you look at the Content Management Systems like
plone (my personal favorite). Plone is Zope and therefore python based
while you'ld probably prefer perl but, the functionality is so high you
may find it adequate.

A quick google search (i.e. perl cms) found several options of which
http://www.callistocms.com/ looked the most viable to me (but nowhere near
as mature as plone).

You could also consider wiki or blog applications but, they're less
geared towards approval of content. See everything2 and livejournal.

- Billy

William Goedicke (e-mail address removed)
Cell 617-510-7244 http://www.goedsole.com:8080

Lest we forget:

We wouldn't need tax laws if everyone was like your
mother, because open barrals at town hall would be
adequate to collect the necessary funds.

- William Goedicke Sr.

botfood

sounds like a "moderated forum" application would pretty much suit your
needs. You could post the start of each thread, one per product, and
moderate replies. Most forums allow control of members, posting,
searching, etc.

why re-invent the wheel?