    requirements are that it be seamless to the end user. If you've edited
    documents in sharepoint, we basically want it to work like that.

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Jack, Jan 18, 2007

  2. Jack

    Tim Mackey Guest

    hi Jack,
    i've seen some enterprise CMS systems that achieve this by getting the user
    to add a network location, to connect their workstation to the fileserver (i
    think they set this up via ActiveX). then when the user opens the file off
    your site, you direct them to opening it via the network location, e.g.
    \\yourserver\File5.doc
    then the open/save/close thing is seamless because Word treats it like any
    other local file. i guess it's just like a VPN then. are you stuck with
    HTTP over the Internet or can you deploy a VPN?

    my best guess about sharepoint is that they do something similar with web
    folders.

    hopefully someone else can post more specific details
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Jack

    Aidy Guest