web browser plugin problem .... JRE not found?

Boyd Speerschneider

Hello,

I'm trying to load a Java 1.2 applet into IE 5 using the browser plugin.
When I do so, I get an error message telling me that the plugin cannot find
the JRE where in the path specified (ie., the path to which I just installed
the plugin).

What's going on here?

TIA,

- Boyd S.

Andrew Thompson

Boyd Speerschneider said:
Hello,

I'm trying to load a Java 1.2 applet into IE 5 using the browser plugin.

What 'browser plug-in'? Are you talking about the
Sun/Java Plug-In - or the native MS JVM (which
only supports Java 1.1)

Try this page to find out what level of Java
your (rather antiquated) browser supports.
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/

Try each of the links at the top until one of the
white pages redirects to a yellow page.
(I am gonna _have_ to make that more user friendly)
When I do so, I get an error message telling me that the plugin cannot find
the JRE where in the path specified (ie., the path to which I just installed
the plugin).

Just ..what does that mean? Is that a human language?
What's going on here?

Hard to say what's going on without an URL.
What's the URL you're trying to load?

Boyd Speerschneider

What 'browser plug-in'? Are you talking about the
Sun/Java Plug-In - or the native MS JVM (which
only supports Java 1.1)

I'm referring to the Sun/Java Plug-In to provide Java 1.2 support to web
browsers.
Try this page to find out what level of Java
your (rather antiquated) browser supports.
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/

Try each of the links at the top until one of the
white pages redirects to a yellow page.
(I am gonna _have_ to make that more user friendly)

Just ..what does that mean? Is that a human language?

Sorry about the typo. What I meant to say is that the error message is
Hard to say what's going on without an URL.
What's the URL you're trying to load?

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/darkstep/html/JavaSoundDemoPlugin.html

This is an applet which is a demo of the Java Sound library.
It requires Java 1.2 to run, thus I need to get the plugin working.
--
Andrew Thompson

Thanks for your time.

Andrew Thompson

Boyd Speerschneider said:

Ugghh! That openning dialog..
'When runnimg the <demo> as an applet these permissions are necessary...
The permissions need to be added to the .java.policy file"

They must be kidding!
Have these people not heard of JWS?
This is an applet which is a demo of the Java Sound library.
It requires Java 1.2 to run, thus I need to get the plugin working.

I hunted around and was amazed to find
that Sun itself seems to offer the demo -
as a _ZIP file_, rather than off the net..
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/samples/JavaSoundDemo/

The irony of Sun offering an Applet in a zip file
rather than in a web page are ..beyond words.

Is that the zip you are working with?
Does it have the same (horrendous*)
code as the web page in the first URL?

* I have come up with a better alternative for
any applet that requires a 'minimum version'
of Java, it is far less subtle, and far more robust,
than Sun's htmlconverter.

If there is nothing in the docs to suggest the
demo requires 1.2 specifically I would recommend
installing the latest plug-in, stripping the page back
to a simple <applet> call, and throwing the
JavaVersionApplet in there with a target of 1.2

That might get it jerked into gear (may not as well)