    What's going on here?

    TIA,

    - Boyd S.
    Boyd Speerschneider, Dec 13, 2003

  2. "Boyd Speerschneider" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to load a Java 1.2 applet into IE 5 using the browser plugin.

    What 'browser plug-in'? Are you talking about the
    Sun/Java Plug-In - or the native MS JVM (which
    only supports Java 1.1)

    Try this page to find out what level of Java
    your (rather antiquated) browser supports.
    http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/

    Try each of the links at the top until one of the
    white pages redirects to a yellow page.
    (I am gonna _have_ to make that more user friendly)

    > When I do so, I get an error message telling me that the plugin cannot

    find
    > the JRE where in the path specified (ie., the path to which I just

    installed
    > the plugin).

    Just ..what does that mean? Is that a human language?

    > What's going on here?

    Hard to say what's going on without an URL.
    What's the URL you're trying to load?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 13, 2003

  3. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in news:OVwCb.50414
    $:

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to load a Java 1.2 applet into IE 5 using the browser plugin.

    > What 'browser plug-in'? Are you talking about the
    > Sun/Java Plug-In - or the native MS JVM (which
    > only supports Java 1.1)

    I'm referring to the Sun/Java Plug-In to provide Java 1.2 support to web
    browsers.

    > Try this page to find out what level of Java
    > your (rather antiquated) browser supports.
    > http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/
    >
    > Try each of the links at the top until one of the
    > white pages redirects to a yellow page.
    > (I am gonna _have_ to make that more user friendly)
    >
    >> When I do so, I get an error message telling me that the plugin cannot

    > find
    >> the JRE where in the path specified (ie., the path to which I just

    > installed
    >> the plugin).

    > Just ..what does that mean? Is that a human language?

    Sorry about the typo. What I meant to say is that the error message is
    "Cannot load JRE from specified path: <path>" where <path> is the path
    where I just installed the plugin.

    >> What's going on here?

    > Hard to say what's going on without an URL.
    > What's the URL you're trying to load?

    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/darkstep/html/JavaSoundDemoPlugin.html

    This is an applet which is a demo of the Java Sound library.
    It requires Java 1.2 to run, thus I need to get the plugin working.

    > --
    > Andrew Thompson
    > * http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite
    > * http://www.1point1C.org/ 1.1C - Superluminal!
    > * http://www.AThompson.info/andrew/ personal site

    Thanks for your time.
    Boyd Speerschneider, Dec 13, 2003
  4. "Boyd Speerschneider" <> wrote in message
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in news:OVwCb.50414
    > $:
    >
    > > "Boyd Speerschneider" <> wrote in message

    > > What's the URL you're trying to load?

    > http://web.tampabay.rr.com/darkstep/html/JavaSoundDemoPlugin.html

    Ugghh! That openning dialog..
    'When runnimg the <demo> as an applet these permissions are necessary...
    The permissions need to be added to the .java.policy file"

    They must be kidding!
    Have these people not heard of JWS?

    > This is an applet which is a demo of the Java Sound library.
    > It requires Java 1.2 to run, thus I need to get the plugin working.

    I hunted around and was amazed to find
    that Sun itself seems to offer the demo -
    as a _ZIP file_, rather than off the net..
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/samples/JavaSoundDemo/

    The irony of Sun offering an Applet in a zip file
    rather than in a web page are ..beyond words.

    Is that the zip you are working with?
    Does it have the same (horrendous*)
    code as the web page in the first URL?

    * I have come up with a better alternative for
    any applet that requires a 'minimum version'
    of Java, it is far less subtle, and far more robust,
    than Sun's htmlconverter.

    If there is nothing in the docs to suggest the
    demo requires 1.2 specifically I would recommend
    installing the latest plug-in, stripping the page back
    to a simple <applet> call, and throwing the
    JavaVersionApplet in there with a target of 1.2

    That might get it jerked into gear (may not as well)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 13, 2003