    provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
    version.

    , Mar 16, 2006

  2. wrote in news:1142469838.347018.264810
    @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
    > browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
    > working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
    > provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
    > version.

    Thanks for letting us know. Did you have a question?

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Mar 16, 2006

  3. robic0 Guest

    On 15 Mar 2006 16:43:58 -0800, wrote:

    >i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
    >browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
    >working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
    >provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
    >version.

    I preferr to think of it as you are working on generating a client-side script that
    has a button that when pressed will allow launch a ftp:: url.
    Am I wrong?

    robic0, Mar 16, 2006
  4. robic0 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:57:08 -0800, robic0 wrote:

    >On 15 Mar 2006 16:43:58 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
    >>browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
    >>working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
    >>provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
    >>version.

    >I preferr to think of it as you are working on generating a client-side script that
    >has a button that when pressed will allow launch a ftp:: url.
    >Am I wrong?

    Cause theres only server and client side, both of which are generated by the server.
    Or do you intend to have a button that launches an ftp client (from the browser client) via the os?

    robic0, Mar 16, 2006

    what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
    d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
    (http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
    similar script. any ideas

    , Mar 16, 2006
  6. Matt Garrish Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
    > d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
    > (http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
    > similar script. any ideas

    How about learning Perl. Then start writing the script. Then, when you have
    a real problem people can help you with, feel free to ask.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Mar 16, 2006
  7. robic0 Guest

    On 15 Mar 2006 17:23:44 -0800, wrote:

    >what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
    >d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
    >(http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
    >similar script. any ideas

    You just repeated yourself. Please give in "great detail" what you mean
    by this simple statement:

    "what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp."

    robic0, Mar 16, 2006

    ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
    edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

    , Mar 16, 2006
  9. robic0 Guest

    On 15 Mar 2006 17:43:21 -0800, wrote:

    >ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
    >edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

    OK, so the web gods can help you now. Is it a ftp link from a button?
    Or something more insideous, like a button triggerring of any local
    software? A edit box with the ip, and corresponding button handler,
    or just hardcoded ip the handler knows, can open a ftp page.
    Or am I wrong? The world is a big place, lots of info for anyting you
    might want to do.

    I personally detest anything that has to do with "web" pages and
    bullshit thin/thick clients, activex (although I've written several).
    I detest socketed, interactive, word processors...

    robic0, Mar 16, 2006
  10. writes:
    > ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
    > edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

    What the various replies here are trying to get at is this:

    As a rule, people here are not interested in writing your script for
    you. Sometimes if the problem is particularly interesting, or
    particularly trivial, people might, but your problem is neither-- it
    is of interest to only you, and consists of a lot of fairly tedious
    sub-pieces that in general are not a lot of fun to do.

    So since you're the one with the problem, it behooves you to make it
    easy for other people to help you. In this case, it means breaking
    down your problem into its component parts, writing some code on your
    own, and when you have a problem, posting the smallest piece of
    cut-and-pasteable code that exhibits only your problem.

    In this case, your problem consists of (at least) these steps:

    1) Get a CGI (or mod_perl, or fastCGI, or whatever) request
    2) Fetch a file via ftp
    3) Display it to the user

    Then, when the user is done and clicks "submit",
    4) Get another CGI (or whatever) request
    5) Store the resulting data into a file via FTP
    6) Notify the user that the operation succeeded (or didn't, if it failed)

    Perl can help you with steps 1, 2, 4, and 5. Displaying information
    to the user is as simple as printing out HTML.

    For parsing CGI requests:

    perldoc CGI

    For fetching and storing a file via FTP:

    perldoc Net::FTP

    For printing out HTML to the user:

    perldoc -f print

    Just FYI, you will want to read the Posting Guidelines, which are
    posted on this newsgroup regularly. They explain all the stuff I did
    already, and give you information on how to ask questions that are
    likely to be answered by smart people here. If you just ask us to
    "please write my script for me", then we aren't likely to be
    interested, but we're usually happy to help when you post code and
    tell us, "It does this, but I want it to do that, and I don't know
    why."

    -=Eric

    Eric Schwartz, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Eric Schwartz <> wrote:

    > we're usually happy to help when you post code and
    > tell us, "It does this, but I want it to do that, and I don't know
    > why."

    I'm not happy when the poster does not know why thay want it to do that.

    So maybe:

    "It does this and I don't know why, but I want it to do that.

    :)

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Mar 16, 2006
  12. Tad McClellan <> writes:
    > Eric Schwartz <> wrote:
    > > we're usually happy to help when you post code and
    > > tell us, "It does this, but I want it to do that, and I don't know
    > > why."

    > I'm not happy when the poster does not know why thay want it to do that.
    >
    > So maybe:
    >
    > "It does this and I don't know why, but I want it to do that.
    >
    > :)

    I don't know why you feel that way, Tad. :)

    -=Eric

    Eric Schwartz, Mar 16, 2006