web browser to ftp client script

sellbellz

i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
version.

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
version.

Thanks for letting us know. Did you have a question?

Sinan

robic0

i am trying to create a script that lets me login to an ftp from a web
browser. upload, download and create new directories. currently i'm
working on a php script. but no joy. i know there are websites that
provide this service (ie. www.net2ftp.com) but i just want a simple
version.

I preferr to think of it as you are working on generating a client-side script that
has a button that when pressed will allow launch a ftp:: url.
Am I wrong?

robic0

I preferr to think of it as you are working on generating a client-side script that
has a button that when pressed will allow launch a ftp:: url.
Am I wrong?

Cause theres only server and client side, both of which are generated by the server.
Or do you intend to have a button that launches an ftp client (from the browser client) via the os?

sellbellz

what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
(http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
similar script. any ideas

Matt Garrish

what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
(http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
similar script. any ideas

How about learning Perl. Then start writing the script. Then, when you have
a real problem people can help you with, feel free to ask.

Matt

robic0

what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp.
d/l u/l flies. they are various php scripts on the internet
(http://inebria.com/phpftp/). to start with i would like to work out a
similar script. any ideas

You just repeated yourself. Please give in "great detail" what you mean
by this simple statement:

"what i would like to do is from my web page log into my ftp or any ftp."

sellbellz

ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

robic0

ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

OK, so the web gods can help you now. Is it a ftp link from a button?
Or something more insideous, like a button triggerring of any local
software? A edit box with the ip, and corresponding button handler,
or just hardcoded ip the handler knows, can open a ftp page.
Or am I wrong? The world is a big place, lots of info for anyting you
might want to do.

I personally detest anything that has to do with "web" pages and
bullshit thin/thick clients, activex (although I've written several).
I detest socketed, interactive, word processors...

Eric Schwartz

ok, sorry.i want to generate a script that will allow me to login and
edit an ftp from a page in my website. http to ftp

What the various replies here are trying to get at is this:

As a rule, people here are not interested in writing your script for
you. Sometimes if the problem is particularly interesting, or
particularly trivial, people might, but your problem is neither-- it
is of interest to only you, and consists of a lot of fairly tedious
sub-pieces that in general are not a lot of fun to do.

So since you're the one with the problem, it behooves you to make it
easy for other people to help you. In this case, it means breaking
down your problem into its component parts, writing some code on your
own, and when you have a problem, posting the smallest piece of
cut-and-pasteable code that exhibits only your problem.

In this case, your problem consists of (at least) these steps:

1) Get a CGI (or mod_perl, or fastCGI, or whatever) request
2) Fetch a file via ftp
3) Display it to the user

Then, when the user is done and clicks "submit",
4) Get another CGI (or whatever) request
5) Store the resulting data into a file via FTP
6) Notify the user that the operation succeeded (or didn't, if it failed)

Perl can help you with steps 1, 2, 4, and 5. Displaying information
to the user is as simple as printing out HTML.

For parsing CGI requests:

perldoc CGI

For fetching and storing a file via FTP:

perldoc Net::FTP

For printing out HTML to the user:

perldoc -f print

Just FYI, you will want to read the Posting Guidelines, which are
posted on this newsgroup regularly. They explain all the stuff I did
already, and give you information on how to ask questions that are
likely to be answered by smart people here. If you just ask us to
"please write my script for me", then we aren't likely to be
interested, but we're usually happy to help when you post code and
tell us, "It does this, but I want it to do that, and I don't know
why."

-=Eric

Tad McClellan

Eric Schwartz said:
we're usually happy to help when you post code and
tell us, "It does this, but I want it to do that, and I don't know
why."

I'm not happy when the poster does not know why thay want it to do that.

So maybe:

"It does this and I don't know why, but I want it to do that.

:)

Eric Schwartz

Tad McClellan said:
I'm not happy when the poster does not know why thay want it to do that.

So maybe:

"It does this and I don't know why, but I want it to do that.

:)

I don't know why you feel that way, Tad. :)

-=Eric