web client disconnects from SQL Server - IIS timing out?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Gary, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I am having a problem executing long running queries from an ASP application
    which connects to SQL Server 2000. Basically, I have batches of queries that
    are run using ADO in a loop written in VBScript. This works pretty well
    until the execution time of a single query starts to exceed some threshold,
    which I am trying to narrow down. I can typically run 2 - 10 queries in a
    loop, with the run time being anywhere from under a minute to an hour or
    more. Now that this application is being subjected to run against some large
    databases (25 - 40G), I'm having problems getting the application to
    continue beyond the first query if it takes a while to run.

    I used SQL Profiler to try to diagnose what was going on. I can see the
    query executes to completion, but immediately after completing I can see an
    "Audit Logout" message, which apparently means that the client has
    disconnected. The query durations vary from 45 or 50 minutes to up to over
    90 minutes. I have the ADO connection and query timeouts set to very large
    values, e.g. 1000 minutes, so I can't think its that. My guess is that there
    is some IIS setting or timeout that I am running up against and the
    connection to SQL Server is just dropped for some reason.

    The configuration is

    NT 4.0 SP6
    SQL Server 2000 SP3
    IIS 4.0
    Explorer 5.5

    I'm only running into this problem on the very largest databases we run
    against. The vast majority continue to function properly, but this is going
    to happen more often as time goes on the databases continue to grow in size.

    Any advice is appreciated,

    -Gary
    Gary, Aug 11, 2004