web.config and Anonymous Authentication problems ???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris, Jun 5, 2010.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Impossible to add control on WebForm

    ==> make sure path of project doesn't contain a '#'

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Is it possbile to create a webcontrols library ? (cfr. WinControls
    library)

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Starting application opens several tab-pages with errors:

    ==> make sure not to include spaces in filenames

    else, right-click on .aspx - file , select 'View in browser'

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict/.......>

    definitions prevents execution of JavaScript events ??

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Debugging Javascript in IE:
    1. enable debugging in IE: go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced,
    and make sure “Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)” is
    unchecked

    2. in VS: set breakpoint --> start debug (make sure page in viewed in
    IE)

    Debugging Javascript in FF:
    - install FireBug Add-On

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    lifetime of Session and Application:

    Hello.

    Lifetime of Session-data is specified in web.config.

    But what about Application-data?

    I have a little testWebApp in which Session-timeout is set to 1 minute

    Application["AppData"] = 1;
    Session["SessionData"] = 2;

    lblAppData.Text = Application["AppData"] != null ?
    Application["AppData"]: "Expired"
    lblSessionData.Text = Session["SessionData"] != null ?
    Session["SessionData"]: "Expired"

    refreshing the page after more than 1 minute displays "Expired" for
    Session but keeps on showing the Application-data.

    So, what determines the lifetime of Application-data?

    thx
    Chris

    > Application data only expires if IIS is restarted, or the application
    > pool it's hosted in is recycled. This can happen if the website is not
    > accessed for a long time, or if a worker process crashes or is recycled
    > by IIS due to it using too much RAM. Application variables should not be
    > treated as a permanent data store and your application should be able to
    > cope with the Application variables disappearing at any time.

    *********************************************************************************************************************************
    Hi.

    I'm experimenting with authentication in web.config and IIS 7.0 and
    have 2 questions:

    1. using <identity impersonate="false" /> or <identity
    impersonate="true" />
    --> no difference in Authentication behaviour

    2. In IIS 7.0, whether I enable or disable Anonymous
    Authentication, there's no difference either
    --> so, what is it for then in IIS?

    Here's my setup for the first question: I just have one webfom1.aspx
    having as only relevant code

    if (User.Identity.IsAuthenticated)
    lblAuthentication.Text = "Authenticated user: " +
    User.Identity.Name;
    else
    lblAuthentication.Text = "User was not authenticated.
    Anonymous access ";

    lblWindowsIdentity.Text = "Windows identity: " +
    WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name;
    } // Page_Load()

    Scenario1.1:
    - IIS 7.0: Anonymous Authentication: enabled
    - web.config:
    <authentication mode="None" />
    <identity impersonate="false" />

    I get following output
    User was not authenticated. Anonymous access
    Windows identity: MyPC\MyAdminName

    Scenario1.2:
    - IIS 7.0: Anonymous Authentication: enabled
    - web.config:
    <authentication mode="None" />
    <identity impersonate="true" />

    I get the SAME output as in scenario 1.2

    In IIS 6.0, there was a difference.
    With <identity impersonate="false" /> user was ASPNET
    With <identity impersonate="true" /> user was
    IUSR_something
    Scenario1.3:
    - IIS 7.0: Anonymous Authentication: enabled
    - web.config:
    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    <identity impersonate="false" />

    I get following output
    Authenticated user: MyPC\MyAdminName
    Windows identity: MyPC\MyAdminName

    Scenario1.4:
    - IIS 7.0: Anonymous Authentication: enabled
    - web.config:
    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    <identity impersonate="true" />

    I get the SAME output as in scenario 1.3

    Repeating my 1st question: in IIS 7.0, what does impersonate do
    anyway ?

    Second question:
    Scenarios are similar to above ones except that this time
    - IIS 7.0: Anonymous Authentication: disabled

    I don't have to write down the outputs because they are exactly the
    same as those in each respective scenario above.

    In other words in IIS 7.0, whether I enable or disable Anonymous
    Authentication , there's no difference at all

    Repeating my 2nd question: in IIS 7, what is Anonymous Authentication
    for ?

    help greatly appreciated

    Chris
    Chris, Jun 5, 2010