Web.config; Dynamic Updating of

Matt

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why dynamically
updating the web.config file causes ASP.NET worker process
to recycle and detroy all session states including
variables. Is this a known bug or is it by design. Do we
know why microsoft do not supply a method to write values
to the web.config file. Thank you to anyone who can give
me any clues to this problem.

Regards,
Matt,

Alek Davis

Matt,

Every time a Web.config file is saved, IIS will recycle the corresponding
Web site. If you think about it, this feature provides more benefit then
problem (in most cases). For example, many applications load configuration
settings from Web.config in the application OnStart event, so if you modify
the Web.config, the changes only take effect when the application is
restarted. I am not sure why Microsoft does not provide an easy interface to
modify Web.config programmatically; it would be a welcome addition.

Alek