web.config ignored - Solved

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jonny Bergdahl, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. I recently posted the following problem description:

    ----Snip---------------------
    I have a ASP.Net 2.0 web application that I am trying to debug. Problem is
    that I can't get the error message to show in the browser. It always returns
    the generic error message telling me to set customErrors="Off". Problem is I
    have already done that.

    I have tried to activate tracing as well, by setting trace enabled="true",
    but accessing the trace.axd page returns a message instructing me to do just
    that.
    -----------------------------

    Since no solution was found in the newsgroup I had to investigate the cause myself, and it turns out that the problem was related to a setting in the machine.config file.

    configuration>

    <system.web>

    <deployment retail="false" />

    </system.web>

    </configuration>

    According to the documentation, setting retail="true" gives exactly the problem I was having:

    When retail is set to true, ASP.NET disables certain configuration settings such as trace output, custom errors, and debug capabilities.

    Problem solved!

    Regards;
    /jb

    Jonny Bergdahl, Jun 1, 2007