Web.config Intellisense ASP.NET 2.0

S. Justin Gengo

I installed the release of Visual Studio.NET 2005 Professional a few days
ago. I've been using the Beta for a few weeks and one immediate problem is
that I don't seem to have full intellisense in the web.config file.

I get intellisense, but it's only displaying three very basic choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Anyone know how to get full intellisense in the web.config file as
advertised?

Thanks,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

S. Justin Gengo

Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case anyone
else has the same problem.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
Juan T. Llibre said:
That's odd, Justin.

All I need to do to get Intellisense for web.config is write a "less-than"
character anywhere inside the <configuration></configuration> tags
and Intellisense pops right up.

See the attached small graphic.

S. Justin Gengo said:
I installed the release of Visual Studio.NET 2005 Professional a few days
ago. I've been using the Beta for a few weeks and one immediate problem
is
that I don't seem to have full intellisense in the web.config file.

I get intellisense, but it's only displaying three very basic choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Anyone know how to get full intellisense in the web.config file as
advertised?

Thanks,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Joerg Jooss

S. Justin Gengo said:
Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case
anyone else has the same problem.

You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
quick fix:

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

should be

<configuration>

Cheers,

Juan T. Llibre

Great pointer, Joerg!

I just confirmed the behavior, by replacing the <configuration>
tag in my *good* web.config with :

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

And immediately, the same symptoms Justin descibed begin,

i.e. I get intellisense, but it only displays the choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Just changing it back to <configuration> "fixes" it.
It's not actually a "fix" but the replacement of a misconfiguration, right ?

S. Justin Gengo

Thanks guys!

I didn't realize the config section shouldn't have the xmlns in it. Well, I
shouldn't say "shouldn't have". But I wonder why they put that in by default
when it eliminates intellisense? That would have been easy to fix I for a
release version I would think...

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

?

S. Justin Gengo

For now I'm just going to move this info down to a commented line:

<configuration>

<!-- xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"-->

That way I can put it back in if I discover it's needed for any reason.

Thanks again!

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I wonder why they put that in by default when it eliminates intellisense?

It's not a default.

I have a feeling your web.config was created with Beta 1 or Beta 2,
and you didn't recollect that it wasn't created from scratch.

With the release version, when you create a web.config in an
application which doesn't have one, what VS includes is this :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the
web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
A full list of settings and comments can be found in
machine.config.comments usually located in
\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
-->
<configuration>

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
is not included when a new web.config is created in the release version of VS.

Joerg Jooss said:
S. Justin Gengo wrote:

Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case
anyone else has the same problem.

You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
quick fix:

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

should be

<configuration>

Cheers,

S. Justin Gengo

Juan,

No, this was a brand new website I built for testing. I used the New ASP.NET
Website selection to create it and this is how the web.config was by
default.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
re:

S. Justin Gengo wrote:

Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case
anyone else has the same problem.

You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
quick fix:

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

should be

<configuration>

Cheers,

Joerg Jooss

Juan said:
Great pointer, Joerg!

I just confirmed the behavior, by replacing the <configuration>
tag in my good web.config with :

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

And immediately, the same symptoms Justin descibed begin,

i.e. I get intellisense, but it only displays the choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Just changing it back to <configuration> "fixes" it.
It's not actually a "fix" but the replacement of a misconfiguration,
right ?

Well, it fixes the now broken content created with Beta 2 ;-)

In Beta 2 (and maybe earlier versions) the xmlns attribute was being
used. It has been removed in VS 2005 RTM.

Cheers,

Joerg Jooss

S. Justin Gengo said:
Thanks guys!

I didn't realize the config section shouldn't have the xmlns in it.
Well, I shouldn't say "shouldn't have". But I wonder why they put
that in by default when it eliminates intellisense? That would have
been easy to fix I for a release version I would think...

Probably, yes. It's not mentioned in
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/3/8/e38818ae-31e5-462b-b9ad-e6d
3cd6ad7c1/Breaking%20Changes%20Beta2%20to%20RTM.doc

Cheers,

Juan T. Llibre

Weird!

I just re-tested creating 3 new websites in each of 3 different languages
( VB.NET, C# and J# ) and in none of the web.configs was the
xmlns=" attribute included.

We may have different versions of the release version.

;-)

These are the things which sometimes make me scratch my head.

What is the version number shown when you open "Help"
and then click on "About Microsoft Visual Studio" ?

S. Justin Gengo said:
Juan,

No, this was a brand new website I built for testing. I used the New ASP.NET Website
selection to create it and this is how the web.config was by default.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
re:

S. Justin Gengo wrote:

Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case
anyone else has the same problem.

You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
quick fix:

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

should be

<configuration>

Cheers,

Juan T. Llibre

re:
In Beta 2 (and maybe earlier versions) the xmlns attribute was
being used. It has been removed in VS 2005 RTM.

Yes, that's my recollection, too, but Justin seems to be saying
that this attribute is being added with the *release* version.

I don't understand why.

Joerg Jooss said:
Juan said:
Great pointer, Joerg!

I just confirmed the behavior, by replacing the <configuration>
tag in my good web.config with :

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

And immediately, the same symptoms Justin descibed begin,

i.e. I get intellisense, but it only displays the choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Just changing it back to <configuration> "fixes" it.
It's not actually a "fix" but the replacement of a misconfiguration,
right ?

Well, it fixes the now broken content created with Beta 2 ;-)

In Beta 2 (and maybe earlier versions) the xmlns attribute was being
used. It has been removed in VS 2005 RTM.

Cheers,

Joerg Jooss

Juan said:
re:

Yes, that's my recollection, too, but Justin seems to be saying
that this attribute is being added with the release version.

I don't understand why.

I'm sure he has mixed things up.

Cheers,

S. Justin Gengo

Juan,

I've got:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

S. Justin Gengo said:
Juan,

No, this was a brand new website I built for testing. I used the New
ASP.NET Website selection to create it and this is how the web.config was
by default.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
[...]

message Thanks guys!

S. Justin Gengo wrote:

Juan,

Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the
three
choices I mentioned in my previous post.

It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case
anyone else has the same problem.

You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
quick fix:

<configuration
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

should be

<configuration>

Cheers,

S. Justin Gengo

Guys,

Nope I haven't mixed things up. (I thought so too at first.) But I have
identified and can recreate the problem every time now.

Here are the steps:

Create a new website with a web.config file. It's created without the xmlns
attribute.

I'm using source safe, and while I don't think it matters my tests have been
with the project added to source control. So, I first check out the
web.config file and then from the menu I run Website - ASP.NET
Configuration.

Just opening the website configuration page adds the xmlns attribute to the
configuration file.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

S. Justin Gengo

After searching the bug reports I saw a bug that was related to this but no
report for this particular bug.

I've reported it now.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
Greg Burns said:
I don't have sourcesafe on my home machine, and I am seeing the same thing.
The ASP.NET Configuration tool seems to be doing it.

Greg

S. Justin Gengo

Thanks everyone for helping out here.

Juan, you always give great answers to everything. Joerg, thanks for helping
to point me in the correct direction to recreate this problem. And Greg,
thanks for identifying that the problem occurrs regardless of source safe.
That saved me a few minutes of project creation.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer