    mike Guest

    Is it possible to move the web.config out of the application folder? I
    would like it off somewhere out of the web directory
    mike, May 12, 2004

  2. mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    no.
    it MUST be in the root of the site/vd.
    You can have more of them in subsequent folders to override settings though.
    Why though? why move it out of the site? It's not accessible from the
    outside

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], May 12, 2004

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Part of the clients requirement is that all config files must be located
    outside of the web directory.

    DoD and government orgs seems to not like configuration files anywhere near
    the virtual directory for security reasons.

    you would have thought that MS would have allowed you to specify a path to
    where that is....

    I am at a loss as to what to do now... I have a lot of things that use the
    web.config.

    mike, May 12, 2004
  4. mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    just dont put anything in the web.config of value. Move it up to the
    machine.config (of course it will run in all sites) or put the info into
    another file type and manually do your processing. It will be a nightmare
    though.

    Curt_C [MVP], May 12, 2004
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    fan-freaking-tastic - as you can tell I am excited by the notion of
    stripping all that stuff out....

    Thanks for your help....

    mike, May 12, 2004
  6. Does the government agency understand that it is hard coded into IIS not to
    server web.config files, ever, never, forever?

    bill

    (or atleast that is the tout by Microsoft)

    William F. Robertson, Jr., May 12, 2004
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    well that appears to be something that we will have to explore - petition to
    have it be allowed, but that would only get us for the specific .NET
    functionality. Application stuff would still need to be sent off to another
    config file...

    I would think they would have to know since they will be hosting this site.
    BUT I just think they are being difficult right now...

    the other thing is that in certain places, Microsoft has said that the
    web.config is not enitirely secure because connection strings, assembly
    information and such can be put in there. As soon as a gov't agency sees
    "not secure" they say no, no matter what the reasoning or information is
    behind that claim.

    mike, May 12, 2004
  8. mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    but in that rationale NOTHING is secure. Since the web.config is text it has
    a security risk, but the thing is they would need file level access to the
    server, which if they have the contents of the web.config are irrelevant
    anyway since they can already do/see what they want reguardless of where it
    is.

    Curt_C [MVP], May 12, 2004
  9. mike

    mike Guest

    I agree - I see the web.config as a safe mechanism for storing data - I
    would feel safer if registry keys are used for configuration strings and
    maybe a few other things. But if there is a guarantee that the config
    cannot be served and it has file level security against it being viewed by
    just anyone, I dont think that you can offer any more security - I believe
    the security policy for gov't apps just has not evolved to the .NET
    application and we are struggling with that transition period....

    mike, May 12, 2004
  10. mike

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    we encrypt the values in the web.config, as they pertain to connection
    strings and such.
    Just use an encryption class and decrypt when using them. Much better
    feeling of security too :}

    Curt_C [MVP], May 12, 2004
  11. mike

    mike Guest

    That is another thing that we have to do as part of the requirements. All
    configuration files must be encrypted, so I am guessing the web.config would
    be no exception.

    Thanks again for the responses!

    mike, May 12, 2004