Web.config not recognized in root directory

savajx1

I am using the new "web deployment addin" in VS 2005 to output my web
site. The web site is correctly output (assemblies generated in the
\bin subdirectory). The web site on my developement machine (WIN 2K
OS) can be accessed and works correctly from other workstations (i.e no
problem here).

The problem:
When deploying the web site (by just copying the correct subdirectories
and creating the application in IIS 6) on 2 dffering Windows Server
2003 OS's, IIS 6 (or ASP.NET) fails to recognize that there is a
web.config file in the web application's main root directory. At least
that is what I think is going on. I get an error message showing that
it is using the default membership provider , as designated in the
default machine.config file (see the error message that we are getting
from IIS 6 below). I know that I have replaced this section (the
membership providers) in the web.config file, and it works fine on my
development workstations (see that section below). Don't ask me how,
but I actually got the web site up and running on one of the Windows
2003 servers. I thought that I knew what I had done, but I can not
reproduce a successful deployment on the 2nd Windows 2003 Server. We
have been trying to solve this problem for 2 days and are getting
nowhere. The ASP.Net tab/snapin is showing that it is reading the
web.config correctly but we think that this is bogus as it is probably
just reading the file (i.e that doesn't mean the IIS 6 actually uses
it). This web site is supposed to go live next Monday. Does anyone
have any ideas as to what is going on??????? Any help or ideas would
be greatly appreciated!

The following error message indicates to me that it is not even
Configuration Error
file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not
found in the applications configuration or the connection string is
empty.

Source Error:

Line 164: <providers>
Line 165: <add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider"
connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/"
Line 166: type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider,
System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
Line 167: <add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider"
applicationName="/"
Line 168:
type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

Source File:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config
Line: 166

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

HERE IS SAME SECTION IN WEB.CONFILE FILE

<membership>
<providers>
<clear/>
<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="MembershipSqlServer"
enablePasswordRetrieval="true" enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="/"
passwordFormat="Encrypted" requiresUniqueEmail="false"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" passwordAttemptWindow="10"
minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
<add name="AdminSqlMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="MembershipSqlServer"
enablePasswordRetrieval="true" enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" applicationName="/"
passwordFormat="Encrypted" requiresUniqueEmail="false"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" passwordAttemptWindow="10"
minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
</providers>
</membership>

Jim Savarino
Group Health Cooperative
Seattle WA 98103

savajx1

OK. I answer my own post to ensure no one spends time on this. This
has nothing to do with it not reading the web.config file. I quickly
inspected the error message, saw localsqlserver and thought that it was
telling me that it was was trying to load the default membership
provider. WRONG! I had changed the machine.config file on my local
computer so as to refer to a different role provider. I moved my
workstation's machine.config to one of the Win 2003 OS's yesterday
which is why it started working. The external production Windows 2003
server has the original machine.config.

Bottom line: I was not overriding the role provider in my web.config
file so the error message is in fact correct

J.S.