    causes an error.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Thanks

    Toby Riley, Aug 8, 2003

  2. | I have a Web application that has at the root level a logon page that work
    | off forms authentication. Works no problems. However i have a subdirectory
    | /mobile of which i want to provide a separate logon page and
    authentication
    | that overrides the root web application without making it an application
    in
    | it own right.

    AFAIK, this is not possible. I am using the following solution: As login
    page I am using the mobile version. If request is not made from mobile
    device, I'll redirect user to normal login page.

    --
    Michal A. Valasek, Altair Communications, http://www.altaircom.net
    Please do not reply to this e-mail, for contact see http://www.rider.cz
    Michal A. Valasek, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Hi Toby,

    Michael is correct. If you want a subfolder to do it's own authentication,
    it must be an application.
    You can certainly have web.configs in each of the folders, whether it's an
    app or not, but there are certain sections that can only be put into an
    application, such as authentication. As you have found out, a web.config
    that has one of these sections and is not in an application will cause a
    config error.

    Michael seems to have a good workaround for this, I encourage you to give
    his approach a try.

    Thanks,
    Earl Beaman
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.
    Earl Beaman[MS], Aug 11, 2003