Web.config - setting debug="false" - what is lost?

Jeremy S.

By default, Web.config has the following section:
<compilation
defaultLanguage="c#"
debug="true"
/>

note that debug="true"

There is a comment - also in the default Web.config - that states that
making debug="false" will result in faster performance but a loss of
debugging/.pdb symbols.

My situation and question:
I have a centralized error logger that is called from my app's code-behind
and other custom classes (in the try... catch blocks) that logs important
information about runtime errors. Included in my logs is parts of the stack
trace. Question: If I set debug="false", will I lose that stack trace
information - or any other similar important information? Or does
debug="false" only impact rendered aspx pages?

Thanks!

Rutger Smit

Jeremy said:
[...]

You will stille get the Exception handling stuff you get right now. You
can NOT attach a debugger and in case of an unhandled exception, you
will not see any sourcecode in that 'yellow screen of death'.

//Rutger

Jeremy S.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear... but you also have my curiosity up -
I've gotten along quite well without using the debugging info that
apparently will not be available (and probably related to the "'yellow
screen of death' to which you refer). Where can I read up on that particular
debugging capability? What is it formally called so I can do a google
search?

Thanks!