    Mark Goldin Guest

    How do I actually add controls to Web Control Library project?
    Can I do it visually or it's all in code?
    Mark Goldin, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Mark Goldin

    Karl Guest

    No, you can't visually do it. You can do it in code via either the Render()
    or CreateChildControls() methods. Nikhil has a great book
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735615829/nikhilkothari-20 - though
    I'd consider the topic advanced. There are a number of online resources.

    Karl

    Karl, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Mark Goldin

    Mark Goldin Guest

    I see.
    Where can I find a sample of how to create a custom control
    that would have a label and a text box?

    Mark Goldin, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Mark Goldin

    Karl Guest

    What you are takling about is creating a Composite Web Control. This
    article might be useful: http://aspalliance.com/359 (it's part 2 of a 3
    part piece, you might be interested in all 3).
    There's also this one:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../cpguide/html/cpconcompositecontrolsample.asp

    Karl, Aug 14, 2004
  5. If you want to design the controls visually what I do is create a second web
    project and add all my controls to that. When I need to use the library I
    just copy the ascx files into my main web app and add a reference back to my
    'controls' web project. I do this to allow our designers access to the
    control layout without letting them near the code. It also means that you
    have a easy maintainable base line set of the ascx controls that you can
    copy into a new project when every you need to use the library.

    I would add that this plan seems to have been screwed by asp.net 2.0 as it
    would seem that you can no longer add a reference to a web project within a
    solution, in fact I cant even find the assembly the project creates at the
    moment ;-)

    Stephen.

    Stephen Woolhead, Aug 15, 2004