Web Custom Controls? Can they do this?

Rob Meade

Lo all,

I posted a few days ago about wanting to create a template that my
colleagues could also grab easily as a starting point for our applications.

Initially I was looking at the Web User Controls (.ascx files) but after
some confusion realised that these had to be copied into each application
that we made, therefore I was not going to be able to have one set of
controls at the root level of the domain name and let all of my colleagues
point to these instead of copying them in - the reasons for wanting to do
this are probably quite obvious - we want to be able to maintain a standard
look and feel to our applications and see this as the best approach - by not
letting each developer have a seperate copy of the core template files there
is no chance of them being changed accidently.

Having snooped around the net for a bit I've not come up with much else
which will support what I want to do - until earlier when I stumbled across
Web Custom Controls. I followed this example on the Microsoft website :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...vbwlkwalkthroughcreatingcustomwebcontrols.asp

I now have a nice icon on my tool bar that when I grab it onto the web form
does nothing magical - but the idea behind this might be exactly what I
need.

What I would like to know now is whether it would be possible to create the
HTML pages that are required for the template (theres about 8 sections) -
and have these either as individual buttons on the tool bar, or better
still - one button - grag and drop - bingo - one template with tables etc
all on the page as I want it.

If anyone with some Web Custom Controls experience could let me know I would
be grateful - I am new to .Net - attended a MS course, came back did nothing
for 3 days then started using it - so I'm learning slowly as I go - please
try to avoid any .Net jargon in any replies as I'll probably not understand!
hehe...

Alternatively - if anyone has any suggestions for getting the template that
I am trying to do in one central location that can be gragged dropped into a
table on a web form (like I tried with the Web User Controls) then I am open
to suggestions.

Thank in advance for any help,

Regards

Rob

Rob Meade

Not sure it is what you're after, but Jim Ross has an article that might be
of interest in this area:

http://authors.aspalliance.com/jimross/Articles/ShareUserControls.aspx

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for the URL - I have read through and that does sound like what
I am aiming to achieve, I'm still playing with the Web Custom Controls at
the moment, as these look like they'll still be fully integrated into VS -
however if I have no luck then I think I'll move to the solution above.

Thanks again for your reply and help,

Regards

Rob