Web Custom Controls? Can they do this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Meade, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Lo all,

    I posted a few days ago about wanting to create a template that my
    colleagues could also grab easily as a starting point for our applications.

    Initially I was looking at the Web User Controls (.ascx files) but after
    some confusion realised that these had to be copied into each application
    that we made, therefore I was not going to be able to have one set of
    controls at the root level of the domain name and let all of my colleagues
    point to these instead of copying them in - the reasons for wanting to do
    this are probably quite obvious - we want to be able to maintain a standard
    look and feel to our applications and see this as the best approach - by not
    letting each developer have a seperate copy of the core template files there
    is no chance of them being changed accidently.

    Having snooped around the net for a bit I've not come up with much else
    which will support what I want to do - until earlier when I stumbled across
    Web Custom Controls. I followed this example on the Microsoft website :

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...vbwlkwalkthroughcreatingcustomwebcontrols.asp

    I now have a nice icon on my tool bar that when I grab it onto the web form
    does nothing magical - but the idea behind this might be exactly what I
    need.

    What I would like to know now is whether it would be possible to create the
    HTML pages that are required for the template (theres about 8 sections) -
    and have these either as individual buttons on the tool bar, or better
    still - one button - grag and drop - bingo - one template with tables etc
    all on the page as I want it.

    If anyone with some Web Custom Controls experience could let me know I would
    be grateful - I am new to .Net - attended a MS course, came back did nothing
    for 3 days then started using it - so I'm learning slowly as I go - please
    try to avoid any .Net jargon in any replies as I'll probably not understand!
    hehe...

    Alternatively - if anyone has any suggestions for getting the template that
    I am trying to do in one central location that can be gragged dropped into a
    table on a web form (like I tried with the Web User Controls) then I am open
    to suggestions.

    Thank in advance for any help,

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Hi Rob,

    Not sure it is what you're after, but Jim Ross has an article that might be
    of interest in this area:

    http://authors.aspalliance.com/jimross/Articles/ShareUserControls.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Dec 2, 2003

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote ...

    > Not sure it is what you're after, but Jim Ross has an article that might

    be
    > of interest in this area:
    >
    > http://authors.aspalliance.com/jimross/Articles/ShareUserControls.aspx

    Hi Ken,

    Many thanks for the URL - I have read through and that does sound like what
    I am aiming to achieve, I'm still playing with the Web Custom Controls at
    the moment, as these look like they'll still be fully integrated into VS -
    however if I have no luck then I think I'll move to the solution above.

    Thanks again for your reply and help,

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 2, 2003