Web Custom Controls - multiple copies?

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I have created 7 web custom controls for 7 sections of our template.

I have them currently on my local pc - where vs placed them...the plan was
that I would create these - throw them into a central location then the rest
of our team would be able to use them to create our generic template for our
applications etc...

One thing I've noticed is when I opened up a new webform and created my
table layout - then having already added the dll's to the toolbar etc, when
I drag and dropped them into my table structure the .dll's were also copied
into the structure within IIS - yet I was under the impression that by using
the Web Custom Controls I would be able to place them in one central
location and simply point to them - however at present I now have multiple
copies again - which surely suggests that if I change the code in one of the
..dll's in the central location the copies taken to all of the applications
that use it will be different etc...something I was trying to avoid..

Because I'm still testing this approach the .dll's are on my local pc - and
the application is on our development server - I was somewhat surprised to
see copies of the .dll's appearing in the application on the development
server...

Any help would be appreciated (bit new at this as you can probably tell)...

Regards

Rob

nfedin

I think what you might want to do is create a central location that
you will house your controls. Then use IIS virtual directories in all
your web apps. I think the only catch is that your control is a DLL.
I know only DLLs in the /bin directory get loaded. I wonder if you
create a /bin directory in your virtual directory (basically two /bin
directories) if all the DLLs will get loaded.

Do you need to compile it into a DLL? If you leave it as an ASPX page
or ASPX-Codebehind combination, IIS will compile the files
automatically when they first get called. If you do this you will not
have the /bin problem.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Neil

Rob Meade

Getting even more confused with the follow ups now - sorry guys - not your
fault - mine - I have no idea what I'm doing...

I've posted again with full details of what I am trying to achieve in the
thread entitled "someone please save me from myself!!! ASP.Net
templates??" - not sure if that might help...

Regards

Rob