Web Deployment Project replace config section wdp00002 error

Guest

Hi,
I'm using VS 2005 SP1 with Web Deployment Project download v8.0.51103,
according to the Add/Remove programs applet.

I've got a file based web service project with an associated web deployment
project. I want to build my release version of the wdp with debug info so I
can run NUnit on the output and doing that causes the wdp build to set
<compilation debug="true"/> in the web.config file.

I've setup a replace config section instruction in the wdp property page
window as system.web/compilation=release.compilation.config;
and the content of the release.compilation.config file is:
<compilation debug="false" />

Whenever I try and build the wdp I get a wdp00002 error complaining that it
can't find system.web/compilation. I've Googled for wdp00002 and seen various
posts but as far as I can see I've copied what they suggested and it still
won't work. Has anyone any idea what the problem is????

regards, Ian