Web design/custom fonts question

Boy Howdy

I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

The font I want to use is Fluoxetine, which I got from a freebie site.

Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
web design.

Mark Parnell

I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

Depends on your definition of correctly. ;-)
Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
correctly when someone accesses my site?

It is possible, but not necessarily easy. And browser support isn't
great either.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/design/fonts/tutorials/tutorial2.html

But if it is that important that everyone see that particular font, why
not make it an image? You _are_ only using it for a logo or header,
aren't you? Body text in that font would be awful to try and read.

Neal

Boy said:
I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.
... Sorry, I'm still kinda new to web design.

Don't be sorry about that - we all were at one time.

To answer you directly - it's simply not feasible to want a specific font.
Not today, anyway. Years from now, possibly.

And BTW, love the screen name. I'd like a cold can of Boy Howdy myself.

Boy Howdy

Mark said:
Previously in alt.html, Boy Howdy <[email protected]>
said:

Depends on your definition of correctly. ;-)

It is possible, but not necessarily easy. And browser support isn't
great either.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/design/fonts/tutorials/tutorial2.html

But if it is that important that everyone see that particular font, why
not make it an image? You _are_ only using it for a logo or header,
aren't you? Body text in that font would be awful to try and read.

Yeah, I was gonna use it for my page header. Thanks for your response
and suggestion.

Now I have another question: would I be creating the header in Adobe
Photoshop? I just tried it on Photoshop 7(which I'm also new to), and
I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I created a new file with what was
supposed to be a transparent background, typed out what I needed, saved,
etc. - but when I code the page to include it, it's actually a white
background in the file, and it's obscuring everything on the web page
background. Hope you can get me through this as well; sorry to be such
a lox.

Mark Parnell

Now I have another question: would I be creating the header in Adobe
Photoshop?

Or any other image editing program. Whatever takes your fancy.
I created a new file with what was
supposed to be a transparent background, typed out what I needed, saved,
etc. - but when I code the page to include it, it's actually a white
background in the file, and it's obscuring everything on the web page
background.

What did you save it as? Some file formats don't support transparency.
Try saving it as a png (with index transparency, not alpha transparency
- IE doesn't support alpha transparency in png). If you still can't work
out how to get it to save with a transparent background, you would be
best off consulting the help files included with the program, or asking
in a newsgroup specifically related to Photoshop, e.g.
news://alt.graphics.photoshop or news://comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

jake

Boy Howdy said:
I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

The font I want to use is Fluoxetine, which I got from a freebie site.

Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
web design.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm

Works fine for Internet Explorer -- other users get to see an
alternative/default font.

regards.