    where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    web design.
    Boy Howdy, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Boy Howdy

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Boy Howdy <>
    said:

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    > display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    Depends on your definition of correctly. ;-)

    > Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    > where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    > correctly when someone accesses my site?

    It is possible, but not necessarily easy. And browser support isn't
    great either.

    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/design/fonts/tutorials/tutorial2.html

    But if it is that important that everyone see that particular font, why
    not make it an image? You _are_ only using it for a logo or header,
    aren't you? Body text in that font would be awful to try and read.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Boy Howdy

    Neal Guest

    Boy Howdy wrote:

    > I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    > display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.
    > ... Sorry, I'm still kinda new to web design.

    Don't be sorry about that - we all were at one time.

    To answer you directly - it's simply not feasible to want a specific font.
    Not today, anyway. Years from now, possibly.

    And BTW, love the screen name. I'd like a cold can of Boy Howdy myself.
    Neal, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Boy Howdy

    Boy Howdy Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html, Boy Howdy <>
    > said:
    >

    >>I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >>display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.

    > Depends on your definition of correctly. ;-)
    >

    >>Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    >>where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    >>correctly when someone accesses my site?

    > It is possible, but not necessarily easy. And browser support isn't
    > great either.
    >
    > http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/design/fonts/tutorials/tutorial2.html
    >
    > But if it is that important that everyone see that particular font, why
    > not make it an image? You _are_ only using it for a logo or header,
    > aren't you? Body text in that font would be awful to try and read.

    Yeah, I was gonna use it for my page header. Thanks for your response
    and suggestion.

    Now I have another question: would I be creating the header in Adobe
    Photoshop? I just tried it on Photoshop 7(which I'm also new to), and
    I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I created a new file with what was
    supposed to be a transparent background, typed out what I needed, saved,
    etc. - but when I code the page to include it, it's actually a white
    background in the file, and it's obscuring everything on the web page
    background. Hope you can get me through this as well; sorry to be such
    a lox.
    Boy Howdy, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Boy Howdy

    said:

    > Now I have another question: would I be creating the header in Adobe
    > Photoshop?

    Or any other image editing program. Whatever takes your fancy.

    > I created a new file with what was
    > supposed to be a transparent background, typed out what I needed, saved,
    > etc. - but when I code the page to include it, it's actually a white
    > background in the file, and it's obscuring everything on the web page
    > background.

    What did you save it as? Some file formats don't support transparency.
    Try saving it as a png (with index transparency, not alpha transparency
    - IE doesn't support alpha transparency in png). If you still can't work
    out how to get it to save with a transparent background, you would be
    best off consulting the help files included with the program, or asking
    in a newsgroup specifically related to Photoshop, e.g.
    news://alt.graphics.photoshop or news://comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

    Mark Parnell, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Boy Howdy

    jake Guest

    In message <Y8Amd.4624385$>, Boy Howdy
    <> writes
    >I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.
    >
    >The font I want to use is Fluoxetine, which I got from a freebie site.
    >
    >Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    >where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    >correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    >web design.

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm

    Works fine for Internet Explorer -- other users get to see an
    alternative/default font.

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, Nov 18, 2004
  7. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:37:19 +0000, jake <>
    wrote:

    >In message <Y8Amd.4624385$>, Boy Howdy
    ><> writes
    >>I want to use a custom font on my website, but I'm not sure it'll
    >>display correctly on a computer that doesn't have that font loaded.
    >>
    >>The font I want to use is Fluoxetine, which I got from a freebie site.
    >>
    >>Here's what I want to know: can I load the font file in the directory
    >>where my web files are, to get the custom font on my web page to display
    >>correctly when someone accesses my site? Sorry, I'm still kinda new to
    >>web design.
    >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm
    >
    >Works fine for Internet Explorer -- other users get to see an
    >alternative/default font.
    >
    >regards.

    It wont work if the user has fonts turned off like I have.
    The font Fluox..... is so fkn ugly it should be ignored.
    Offer a default family instead.

    <A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

    --
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
    built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
    Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record, Nov 19, 2004