    Ethical Guidelines' and it seems to be well respected but what I see
    from the reviews is that it's geared more toward print design and not
    the web, and that the web guidelines are a bit outdated.

    Chris, Apr 11, 2006

  2. While the city slept, Chris () feverishly typed...

    > Can anyone recommend a book(or any source) that gives good guidelines
    > for web design/development pricing guidelines? I was reading the
    > amazong reviews of the 'Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing &
    > Ethical Guidelines' and it seems to be well respected but what I see
    > from the reviews is that it's geared more toward print design and not
    > the web, and that the web guidelines are a bit outdated.

    See what people are charging in your local area. If you think you are better
    than them, charge more. If you think they are better than you, charge less
    until you are better than them.

    Also, work out what you think you should be earning (be realistic - we'd all
    like B.Gates' paycheque, but we ain't gonna get it!), work out how many
    hours you will be working, and divide one by the other. Remember though that
    you are getting the money from your clients - not only to pay for your time
    while you work on their site - but also to pay for your time doing non-dev
    things such as paperwork, tax-returns, promoting your business and finding
    new work, keeping your skills up-to-date (that includes paying for courses,
    buying periodicals, spending time on places like, erm... here!), so factor
    that time and expense into your equation.

    You can also take a look here:
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Web_design_business

    Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Most of my website filesystem problems have been with non-matching character
    case as mentioned above. UNIX/Linux machines are case sensitive, Windows
    machines are not. So if your webserver is Linux/Apache and your development
    box is Windows, you could have problems like that.

    --

    Patrick Sullivan, AA-BA, BA-IT

    Patrick Sullivan, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Chris

    Bob Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a book(or any source) that gives good guidelines
    > for web design/development pricing guidelines? I was reading the
    > amazong reviews of the 'Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing &
    > Ethical Guidelines' and it seems to be well respected but what I see
    > from the reviews is that it's geared more toward print design and not
    > the web, and that the web guidelines are a bit outdated.

    Here in my part of the rural West, the going at the big shop in town is
    $60/hr for HTML, CSS, graphics (HCG) and $85 an hour for scripting. They
    do tons of work.

    Another place charges $50/hr for HTML and scripting and they get lots of
    work.

    Another place charges $40/hr for HCG and $60/hr for scripting, but they
    hardly get any work.

    Another place charges around $45/hr for HG but they do bad work.

    There are cut rate places here in town that charge around $25/hr for HG
    but their work is bad.

    A friend in Florida who is excellent charges $75-85 an hour for HCGS and
    gets tons of work, but he is top notch

    A friend in Seattle said going rate for top notch work was $150/hr for
    HCSG 1 yr ago but since then there is a lot of competition from offshore.

    That should give you some ideas.

    You can't really go wrong at $40/hr HCG and $60/hr scripting if you do
    really good work. If you don't start lower.

    Bob, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Chris

    Bob Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a book(or any source) that gives good guidelines
    > for web design/development pricing guidelines? I was reading the
    > amazong reviews of the 'Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing &
    > Ethical Guidelines' and it seems to be well respected but what I see
    > from the reviews is that it's geared more toward print design and not
    > the web, and that the web guidelines are a bit outdated.

    If you are working for someone else, expect a lot less. Expect $20-30/hr
    for HTML, CSS and graphics and $25-40/hr for scripting. Also depends how
    old you are. Teenagers make less. That is less money, but a lot of
    designers work as contract employees for other ppl so that way they do
    not have the HASSLE of finding clients and the business end, which can
    get extremely crappy, with ppl not paying and bitching and whatnot.

    If you go to work for a place, average starting salary is around
    $40,000/yr around these parts for HCG. Scripting, I have no idea, but
    average C++/Java programmers make $50/hr in USA in all parts of the country.

    Bob, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Chris

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Can anyone recommend a book(or any source) that gives good guidelines
    > for web design/development pricing guidelines? I was reading the
    > amazong reviews of the 'Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing &
    > Ethical Guidelines' and it seems to be well respected but what I see
    > from the reviews is that it's geared more toward print design and not
    > the web, and that the web guidelines are a bit outdated.

    I see you've receive several replies, here's my two cents:

    The examples you find on the web and in articles are just that -
    examples, not "set in stone" answers.

    In the Chicago area, I charge $60 for HTML/CSS, and $75 for scripting.
    My prices are considered average, and I stay busy. My target market is
    the very small one-man operation to mid-sized business. Too many are
    chasing after the "big guys" and ignoring this huge market.

    When you set pricing, remember it's also about Marketing and perception.
    Too low, and you will leave the impression that you are not worth any
    more than that low price. The opposite is if you go too high, you will
    drive away business.

    The best advice I can give you is to see what the others charge in your
    area, then take the average and set that as your fee structure.

    saz, Apr 12, 2006