    a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    would be much appreciated!

    King of Red Lions, Oct 7, 2004

  2. King of Red Lions

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "King of Red Lions" <> wrote in message
    news:ck43vl$qo2$...
    > I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
    > scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
    > The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
    > graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
    > a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    > that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    > would be much appreciated!

    I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether by
    'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd at
    least double if not triple the price.

    --
    D a n A b r e y
    http://www.corefm.net

    Dan Abrey, Oct 7, 2004

  3. David Dorward, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Dan Abrey wrote:
    > "King of Red Lions" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
    >>scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
    >>The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
    >>graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
    >>a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    >>that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    >>would be much appreciated!

    > I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether by
    > 'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd at
    > least double if not triple the price.
    >
    > --
    > D a n A b r e y
    > http://www.corefm.net
    > http://www.yellowpride.co.uk

    Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
    the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
    out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

    King of Red Lions, Oct 7, 2004
  5. King of Red Lions

    > Dan Abrey wrote:
    > > "King of Red Lions" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
    > >>scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
    > >>The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
    > >>graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
    > >>a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    > >>that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    > >>would be much appreciated!

    > > I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether

    by
    > > 'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd

    at
    > > least double if not triple the price.
    > >
    > > --
    > > D a n A b r e y
    > > http://www.corefm.net
    > > http://www.yellowpride.co.uk
    > >

    > Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
    > the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
    > out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

    Well, it depends also, obviously, on the time and effort taken to build it,
    mainly the former. '8 pages' could be anything from 7 text pages and a news
    page to a large CMS with searching, calendars etc. all included in the admin
    panel.

    Dan Abrey, Oct 7, 2004
  6. King of Red Lions

    Hywel Guest

    In article <ck43vl$qo2$>, King of Red Lions says...
    > I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
    > scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
    > The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
    > graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
    > a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    > that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    > would be much appreciated!

    This is nuts. No one can answer this for you. How much is your time
    worth to you? How much does your experience count for? How much other
    work could you do instead at a higher rate? How much do you want to
    make? What are you going to be stuck with after the work has been done?

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Oct 7, 2004
  7. King of Red Lions

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:06:05 +0100, King of Red Lions <>
    wrote:

    >The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css.

    >that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this.

    I can't imagine many 8 page sites that really need PHP. I can't
    imagine many PHP sites as cheap as £500.

    If this is 8 custom plain HTML pages of "typical" complexity, then
    that sounds reasonable. £100 + (£50 * page) . You'll see cheaper
    quotes, down to about £150, but that's based on heavily templated work
    where Bob's Widget Shop gets an address page, and product_1 to
    product_6 pages, same as the last shop got.

    If your PHP is actually showing a database result, then this sounds
    low. Don't forget to bill for back-end or admin pages, not just the
    visible stuff !

    £500 _per_page_ is far from unreasonable for complex pages that are
    almost entirely back-end work. I've billed £10,000 for a few pages,
    where one "page" has represented entire mythicals of work.

    If you look at www.jobserve.com you might get some idea of current
    rates for web geeks. HTML is as low as £8/hour, but I'd expect to
    only get a real muppet for that little. Serious J2EE gets around
    £25/hour.
    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Oct 8, 2004
  8. King of Red Lions

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:06:05 +0100, King of Red Lions <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Please could you give a rough estimate to how much I should charge?

    How long do you think it will take? How much is your time worth?

    Multiply the 2.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 8, 2004
  9. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    > Please could you give a rough estimate to how much I should charge?

    to ask this question indicates you're not yet ready to charge for your
    work.

    --
    i t ' s t h e l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 8, 2004
  10. King of Red Lions

    mark | r Guest

    > Dan Abrey wrote:
    >> "King of Red Lions" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
    >>>scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
    >>>The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
    >>>graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
    >>>a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
    >>>that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
    >>>would be much appreciated!

    >> I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether
    >> by
    >> 'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd
    >> at
    >> least double if not triple the price.
    >>
    >> --
    >> D a n A b r e y
    >> http://www.corefm.net
    >> http://www.yellowpride.co.uk
    >>

    > Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
    > the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
    > out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

    dont undersell your self and dont be afriad of charging for your work -
    we're only a small firm (2 of us) and we dont hesitate to charge £4000+ for
    CMS sites as you have to set a balance not only due to the time designing
    and building the site, but also the consultation, training, support and
    amount of work your doing yourself out of if they came to you for every
    alt - also we suggest talking ages to make sure the features and operation
    of the system are finalised before you d any development - plan out the
    functions on paper because the last thing you wanyt to hear at the 11th hour
    is "we expected/assumed it to be able to do this" - its cost us thousands in
    the past to rectify these last minute requests because the spec wasnt
    totally fixed. - if they ask for changes - you can do them at an extra
    charge - tho we always suggest completing the project to the current
    speciifcation (launch and payment received) before starting on any
    amendments - it makes sence because the site is launched as early as
    possible - which keeps the client happy, and you can charge extra for
    re-doing lots of work to accomodate the changes.

    the best thing is that you can charge the next business 1/2 the price
    because you've already created a method and development practice for the
    implimentation of what is now a STOCK system - its money for old rope.

    if they want timescales - always estimate 4 months actual time - even tho it
    will probably take you a week or so - this is because clients always delay
    on supplying everything.

    mark

    mark | r, Oct 8, 2004
  11. King of Red Lions

    aa Guest

    > to ask this question indicates you're not yet ready to charge for your
    work.

    Brucie, will you please enligfhten me on the correlation between OP's asking
    this question and his/her readiness to charge for work?

    aa, Oct 13, 2004
  12. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html aa said:

    > Brucie, will you please enligfhten me on the correlation between OP's asking
    > this question and his/her readiness to charge for work?

    i don't believe in killfiling. its censorship and akin to burying your
    head in the sand. i still want to hear what people have to say.

    however i do highlight posts in various colors to remind me about the
    poster.

    your posts were in a nice sexy blue: #E8E8F9; this reminds me that
    you're just a general dickhead and i should think twice before replying
    to one of your posts.

    you didn't stay the nice sexy blue very long. now you're a nice sexy
    orange: #FFECCF after your hissy fit with my mates in another thread.
    orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and if
    i did believe in killfiling you would be killfiled.

    HAND

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 14, 2004
  13. King of Red Lions

    Toby Inkster Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

    But you would any other time?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 14, 2004
  14. King of Red Lions

    aa Guest

    So many words and so much excitement and so little sense.
    Of course you cannot answer my question because there is no correlation between the OP's question and suggested by you his un-readiness to charge for his work.
    You like kicking newbies. I like kicking kickers like yourself and your twin rf.
    In biology this is called the food chain.

    orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

    rf is dreaming about tearing off my balls. You dream about urinating on me. Yours genitals-oriented fantasies sugest that you have sexual problems. You onbiouslu spend too much time in news groups. Just go out, have a beer or two and chase girls - I am sure everything will get back to normal.

    take care

    aa, Oct 14, 2004
  15. King of Red Lions

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >> orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

    > But you would any other time?

    Re-reading this, it makes me think that mobile phone companies are
    starting to to over-reach on the services they provide. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 16, 2004