web design pricing

King of Red Lions

I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
would be much appreciated!

Dan Abrey

King of Red Lions said:
I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
would be much appreciated!

I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether by
'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd at
least double if not triple the price.

King of Red Lions

Dan said:
I'd say they are about right - it depends how far you're going, whether by
'PHP' you mean including a CMS along with the bargain, in which case I'd at
least double if not triple the price.

Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

Dan Abrey

King of Red Lions said:
Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

Well, it depends also, obviously, on the time and effort taken to build it,
mainly the former. '8 pages' could be anything from 7 text pages and a news
page to a large CMS with searching, calendars etc. all included in the admin
panel.

Hywel

I know someone that wants me to make a site for them. It will be from
scratch so it will include registering a domain name and everything.
The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css. Also
graphics and content will all be produced by me. Please could you give
a rough estimate to how much I should charge? A friend has already said
that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this. Any help
would be much appreciated!

This is nuts. No one can answer this for you. How much is your time
worth to you? How much does your experience count for? How much other
work could you do instead at a higher rate? How much do you want to
make? What are you going to be stuck with after the work has been done?

Andy Dingley

The site will consist of about 8 pages, done in xhtml, php and css.
that I should charge just over £500 for a site like this.

I can't imagine many 8 page sites that really need PHP. I can't
imagine many PHP sites as cheap as £500.

If this is 8 custom plain HTML pages of "typical" complexity, then
that sounds reasonable. £100 + (£50 * page) . You'll see cheaper
quotes, down to about £150, but that's based on heavily templated work
where Bob's Widget Shop gets an address page, and product_1 to
product_6 pages, same as the last shop got.

If your PHP is actually showing a database result, then this sounds
low. Don't forget to bill for back-end or admin pages, not just the
visible stuff !

£500 _per_page_ is far from unreasonable for complex pages that are
almost entirely back-end work. I've billed £10,000 for a few pages,
where one "page" has represented entire mythicals of work.

If you look at www.jobserve.com you might get some idea of current
rates for web geeks. HTML is as low as £8/hour, but I'd expect to
only get a real muppet for that little. Serious J2EE gets around
£25/hour.

Mark Parnell

Please could you give a rough estimate to how much I should charge?

How long do you think it will take? How much is your time worth?

Multiply the 2.

brucie

In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
Please could you give a rough estimate to how much I should charge?

to ask this question indicates you're not yet ready to charge for your
work.

mark | r

King of Red Lions said:
Yeah it will include a fully functional cms system which will be used by
the owner of the site. Most of the php will be just moving stuff in and
out af a sql database. So you think more like £1000?

dont undersell your self and dont be afriad of charging for your work -
we're only a small firm (2 of us) and we dont hesitate to charge £4000+ for
CMS sites as you have to set a balance not only due to the time designing
and building the site, but also the consultation, training, support and
amount of work your doing yourself out of if they came to you for every
alt - also we suggest talking ages to make sure the features and operation
of the system are finalised before you d any development - plan out the
functions on paper because the last thing you wanyt to hear at the 11th hour
is "we expected/assumed it to be able to do this" - its cost us thousands in
the past to rectify these last minute requests because the spec wasnt
totally fixed. - if they ask for changes - you can do them at an extra
charge - tho we always suggest completing the project to the current
speciifcation (launch and payment received) before starting on any
amendments - it makes sence because the site is launched as early as
possible - which keeps the client happy, and you can charge extra for
re-doing lots of work to accomodate the changes.

the best thing is that you can charge the next business 1/2 the price
because you've already created a method and development practice for the
implimentation of what is now a STOCK system - its money for old rope.

if they want timescales - always estimate 4 months actual time - even tho it
will probably take you a week or so - this is because clients always delay
on supplying everything.

mark

aa

to ask this question indicates you're not yet ready to charge for your
work.

Brucie, will you please enligfhten me on the correlation between OP's asking
this question and his/her readiness to charge for work?

brucie

In alt.html aa said:
Brucie, will you please enligfhten me on the correlation between OP's asking
this question and his/her readiness to charge for work?

i don't believe in killfiling. its censorship and akin to burying your
head in the sand. i still want to hear what people have to say.

however i do highlight posts in various colors to remind me about the
poster.

your posts were in a nice sexy blue: #E8E8F9; this reminds me that
you're just a general dickhead and i should think twice before replying
to one of your posts.

you didn't stay the nice sexy blue very long. now you're a nice sexy
orange: #FFECCF after your hissy fit with my mates in another thread.
orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and if
i did believe in killfiling you would be killfiled.

HAND

aa

So many words and so much excitement and so little sense.
Of course you cannot answer my question because there is no correlation between the OP's question and suggested by you his un-readiness to charge for his work.
You like kicking newbies. I like kicking kickers like yourself and your twin rf.
In biology this is called the food chain.

orange reminds me that i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

rf is dreaming about tearing off my balls. You dream about urinating on me. Yours genitals-oriented fantasies sugest that you have sexual problems. You onbiouslu spend too much time in news groups. Just go out, have a beer or two and chase girls - I am sure everything will get back to normal.

take care

Toby Inkster

Toby said:
But you would any other time?

Re-reading this, it makes me think that mobile phone companies are
starting to to over-reach on the services they provide. :)