    me to go and find out for myself. I just don't know the names.

    TIA
    Dave

    Dave Kelly, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <hE53h.2328$>,
    Dave Kelly <> wrote:

    > I have just found an opportunity to design and maintain a website for a
    > major Renaissance fair.
    >
    > My problem is I don't know how much to charge. What are going rates for
    > design. For maintenance.

    There are no very useful standards...

    > Would anyone have any suggestions?

    You can charge by the hour or by quotation or by both. The latter
    can be something like you cap the price. You say that it is
    unlikely to go for more than such and such given the brief but it
    could be less. You decide what the minimum rate is that you would
    work for and assess the maximum time it could take you.

    And then you decide what is the maximum you can charge that is
    consistent with your assessment of how good you are, how ethical
    it would be if they are naive, distracted or otherwise beholden
    to you.

    You should make it very plain that the cap is conditional on them
    supplying you with material you need (text, pics) in timely
    fashion etc.

    Can you please send me $10 if you find the above useful or use
    any of it in your thinking. And that goes for anyone else who is
    nosey enough to be reading this. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Dave Kelly

    z Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > You can charge by the hour or by quotation or by both. The latter
    > can be something like you cap the price. You say that it is
    > unlikely to go for more than such and such given the brief but it
    > could be less. You decide what the minimum rate is that you would
    > work for and assess the maximum time it could take you.

    If charging per project, be very specific exactly what your rate covers and
    what things will cost extra -- and spell it out in the written contract.
    People who don't know about web design will ask you to do things that they
    consider part of the project, which you consider to be extra work.
    Miscommunication can lead to bad situations where both sides justifiably
    think they are right.

    z, Nov 6, 2006