Web Developer 2005 - Where has all the code gone ?

Goofy

I see that the code behind is now a partial class. So where is the code
associated with the server controls declaration etc ?

Is this generated on the fly now, or am I missing something ?

Goofy

OK, so does it create the designer.cs on the fly when you do a build and
then delete it ?

Mark Rae

OK, so does it create the designer.cs on the fly when you do a build and
then delete it ?

No - it *creates* the designer.cs file when the aspx and aspx.cs files are
created.

The contents of the designer.cs files is *updated* on the fly...

Goofy

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. ( Im probably being dumb) but I cant see this file at
all. I have looked in the websites directory where my web site lives on the
local machine, I have also looked in the projects directory, I have checked
my folder options to enusre that its not hiding the files but it aint there.

I also cant find the dll output file either, this is confusing the hell out
of me. !

Juan T. Llibre

Are you using WAP ( Web Application Projects ) ?
If you're not, you'll never see a *.designer.cs or *.designer.vb file.

The *.designer.cs/vb file is a new file used in Web Application Projects
to contain the code that is generated and maintained by Visual Studio for the page.

You won't find any dll, either, if you don't use WAP,
unless you publish or pre-compile your app.

Again, Fritz Onion's article helps :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/01/ExtremeASPNET/

Also, this MSDN article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp
giives you the info you need to understand ASP.NET internals.

Mark Rae

Thanks for the reply. ( Im probably being dumb) but I cant see this file
at all. I have looked in the websites directory where my web site lives on
the local machine, I have also looked in the projects directory, I have
checked my folder options to enusre that its not hiding the files but it
aint there.

Apologies - I assumed you were using Web Application Projects, which creates
the designer files - you clearly aren't, so you won't see them...
I also cant find the dll output file either, this is confusing the hell
out of me. !

Again, you won't see one if you're not using WAP until you either publish or
precompile your site...

Goofy

No worries. Im fairly reasonable with VS2003, but I've got a copy of
'Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Im trying to make sense of
it.

Mark Rae

No worries. Im fairly reasonable with VS2003, but I've got a copy of
'Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Im trying to make sense of
it.

Personally, I absolutely *hated* the changed compilation model in ASP.NET 2,
so was absolutely delighted when WAP was released as an add-in.

It's now fully incorporated into SP1...

Goofy

To be honest, I was not aware of Web Application Projects. Im only using the
express edition here, and it doesent look like it has WAP on it. (AFAIK).

I managed to compile the entire project using the aspnet_compile ( Just for
fun ) and to see if it worked for me. Seemed to be fine.

So my question is do you know what versions of Visual Web Developer include
WAP and how does it manifest itself as far as the user is concerned ? ( IE
menu options etc )

Sorry to ask so many questions; I am researching as well but a little help
from the experts like yourself and Jaun certainly help things along.

Regards

Juan T. Llibre

The precompiler tool isn't a Visual Studio feature.
It's an ASP.NET feature and you'll find it in the .Net 2.0 directory.

So, you *can* use it, but not from within VS 2005 Express's IDE.

There's a blog by Rick Strahl which explains how aspnet_compiler.exe works :
http://west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/2128.aspx

You can also download Rick's free compiler utility,
which provides a front-end for aspnet_compiler.exe :
http://www.west-wind.com/tools/aspnetcompiler.asp

It is *really* helpful!

Goofy said:
Is the precompiler available in the express edition >?

Goofy

Thanks, I found it

:
http://west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/2128.aspx

You can also download Rick's free compiler utility,
which provides a front-end for aspnet_compiler.exe :
http://www.west-wind.com/tools/aspnetcompiler.asp

It is *really* helpful!

Goofy

Thank you very much.

Goofy said:
To be honest, I was not aware of Web Application Projects. Im only using
the express edition here, and it doesent look like it has WAP on it.
(AFAIK).

I managed to compile the entire project using the aspnet_compile ( Just
for fun ) and to see if it worked for me. Seemed to be fine.

So my question is do you know what versions of Visual Web Developer
include WAP and how does it manifest itself as far as the user is
concerned ? ( IE menu options etc )

Sorry to ask so many questions; I am researching as well but a little help
from the experts like yourself and Jaun certainly help things along.

Regards

Juan T. Llibre

The standard edition of VS 2005 is "Visual Studio 2005".

WAP, when it's installed, can modify VS 2005's user interface,
so its options are available in the VS IDE, but can't modify VWD's UI.

Therefore, it's only VWD *Express* which can't use WAP.