web development

Discussion in 'HTML' started by FK, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. FK

    FK Guest

    dear all,
    i am an electronics engineer by profession and have an experience of
    six years in research and development area mainly in programming and
    simulation in a govt. institution n pakistan.

    Now i would be moving to UK shortly as my husband is working there,i
    want to switch my field to web development as this seems to be more
    creative to me than any other work i have previously done.But since
    its a totally new field and am a novice in it i am finding it hard to
    find the requirments to get into it.I am studying all the relevant
    things like Xhtml,HTML4.01 and Javascript but still am not sure if
    that is enough to enter the field with no experience even for a junior
    position as all the study i am doing is self study ( experience from
    research work :) ).

    Could you if so kindly please guide me further as to what steps should
    i take as to enter the field or whether or not i should even try
    switching fields altogether.Is there a requirement for a degree or
    certifications to enter the field of web development.
    thankyou
    and take care

    FK, Dec 10, 2007

  2. FK

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 10, 9:59 pm, FK <> wrote:
    > dear all,
    > i am an electronics engineer by profession and have an experience of
    > six years in research and development area mainly in programming and
    > simulation in a govt. institution n pakistan.
    >
    > Now i would be moving to UK shortly as my husband is working there,i
    > want to switch my field to web development as this seems to be more
    > creative to me than any other work i have previously done.But since
    > its a totally new field and am a novice in it i am finding it hard to
    > find the requirments to get into it.I am studying all the relevant
    > things like Xhtml,HTML4.01 and Javascript but still am not sure if
    > that is enough to enter the field with no experience even for a junior

    You should really focus on HTML and CSS for the web page stuff. It
    will do all that you need.
    From a programming side, learn what ever you like, ASP, PHP, perl
    whatever. The server side programming is the stuff that is the most
    tricky and as you already have experience programming then it might
    work better then design.

    > position as all the study i am doing is self study ( experience from
    > research work :) ).
    >
    > Could you if so kindly please guide me further as to what steps should
    > i take as to enter the field or whether or not i should even try
    > switching fields altogether.Is there a requirement for a degree or
    > certifications to enter the field of web development.
    > thankyou
    > and take care

    Well as for a degree, it is not really the case, you actually don't
    need, but that is the case with a lot of IT relateed work as I
    understand it.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 10, 2007

  3. FK

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:59:21
    GMT FK scribed:

    > dear all,
    > i am an electronics engineer by profession and have an experience of
    > six years in research and development area mainly in programming and
    > simulation in a govt. institution n pakistan.
    >
    > Now i would be moving to UK shortly as my husband is working there,i
    > want to switch my field to web development as this seems to be more
    > creative to me than any other work i have previously done.

    Possibly, but ask yourself if it's more lucrative. Or secure.

    > But since
    > its a totally new field and am a novice in it i am finding it hard to
    > find the requirments to get into it.

    Basically there are no requirements. -A good line, a little knowledge,
    and hop to it.

    > I am studying all the relevant
    > things like Xhtml,HTML4.01 and Javascript but still am not sure if
    > that is enough to enter the field with no experience even for a junior
    > position as all the study i am doing is self study ( experience from
    > research work :) ).
    >

    > Could you if so kindly please guide me further as to what steps should
    > i take as to enter the field or whether or not i should even try
    > switching fields altogether.

    - From electronics engineering? Uh, I don't think so.

    > Is there a requirement for a degree or
    > certifications to enter the field of web development.

    Microsoft certification may help with employment, and one does learn
    things from the course, but...

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.