Web Editing on Mac

Discussion in 'HTML' started by will.appleby@gmail.com, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I've recently moved to using a mac instead of a PC and am now trying to
    create a website. I have been using Iweb to do the basics, and
    generally it's been fairly easy, however I would like to add a photo
    gallery. I have installed gallery (gallery.menalto.com) on the server
    and am now trying to integrate it with my website. Having looked on
    the gallery support website, I see there is some HTML code I can use,
    but cannot find a way to edit the html files created by Iweb.

    I have had fairly basic experiance of web editing on the PC - I either
    just used a text editor to edit the code with no difficulties, but on
    the mac, when I try to open the html file with TextEdit it just shows
    the html file. Alternatively, my preferred way of doing this was to
    use a program such as dreamweaver to simply switch between html and web
    view.

    Please can anyone suggest either how I go about editing HTML on the
    mac, or any web editing software which is either free or relatively
    cheap which would make this sort of thing easier.

    If you have any experience with gallery, or any other photo gallery you
    could recommend, any tips for integrating it would be much appreciated.
    Am I right in believing I need to download the theme.pl file from my
    server and add my html code to it?

    Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

    Will
     
    , Nov 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've recently moved to using a mac instead of a PC and am now trying to
    > create a website.

    ....
    > I have had fairly basic experiance of web editing on the PC - I either
    > just used a text editor to edit the code with no difficulties, but on
    > the mac, when I try to open the html file with TextEdit it just shows
    > the html file.


    What are you expecting it to show? A hat with a rabbit being
    pulled out of it?

    What do you mean "just shows the html file"? Why is this not
    exactly what you want so that you can dive in and change the text
    in it?

    Anyway... don't use textEdit at all for this. Get TextWrangler
    (it is a free text editor and excellent for editing html and css
    plain text files)

    If you want help around here, it helps to post a url, even one
    with a sad and pathetic attempt at a site. They shun you like the
    plague without one.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Nov 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. patrick j Guest

    wrote:

    > Please can anyone suggest either how I go about editing HTML on the
    > mac, or any web editing software which is either free or relatively
    > cheap which would make this sort of thing easier.


    Hi

    As dorayme has suggested TextWrangler is free and very good for editing
    HTML.

    You can get it here:

    <http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml>

    A cheap HTML editor, that I've never used personally, but has many fans
    is Page Spinner which comes from here:

    <http://www.optima-system.com/pagespinner/>

    Your experience with TextEdit is not unsurprising because the name
    suggests rather that it will behave as you thought it would, open the
    HTML file showing the mark up. I think TextEdit is an oddly named
    application but it is very useful indeed for other things. If you
    explore it a bit you'll find it is a surprisingly capable word
    processor with quite good table creating capabilities and the like.

    However, I think you'll find TextWrangler behaves as you anticipated
    TextEdit was going to.

    Best of luck with the Mac. I think once you get the hang of it you'll
    find you really like it.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 20, 2006
    #3
  4. Guest

    Thank you both for your comments. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear
    about what I was expecting TextEdit to do. I had expected it to show
    me the HTML code which I could then edit, rather than showing the file
    as it would be displayed on a website.

    I will have a play with TextWrangler and depending how I get on, will
    post again with further queries.

    Thanks

    Will
     
    , Nov 21, 2006
    #4
  5. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Thank you both for your comments. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear
    > about what I was expecting TextEdit to do. I had expected it to show
    > me the HTML code which I could then edit, rather than showing the file
    > as it would be displayed on a website.
    >
    > I will have a play with TextWrangler and depending how I get on, will
    > post again with further queries.


    Will,
    TextEdit displays text. If you saw your HTML file as it would be
    rendered in a Web browser, then it wasn't TextEdit that showed it to
    you.

    TextEdit can do the job you want it to do (edit HTML source) but as
    others have said, TextWrangler is free and is much nicer to use for
    editing HTML source than plain ol' TextEdit.

    Happy coding

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Nov 21, 2006
    #5
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > ...Sorry if I didn't make myself clear
    > about what I was expecting TextEdit to do. I had expected it to show
    > me the HTML code which I could then edit, rather than showing the file
    > as it would be displayed on a website.
    >


    You never said how you tried to open the source file in the first
    place: Did you locate a source.html file and double click it?
    Instead, try control click and choose "open with" TextEdit.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Nov 21, 2006
    #6
  7. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > ...Sorry if I didn't make myself clear
    > > about what I was expecting TextEdit to do. I had expected it to show
    > > me the HTML code which I could then edit, rather than showing the file
    > > as it would be displayed on a website.
    > >

    >
    > You never said how you tried to open the source file in the first
    > place: Did you locate a source.html file and double click it?
    > Instead, try control click and choose "open with" TextEdit.


    Or a more tiresome but time honored method. Drag the file onto the
    TextEdit icon if you want to open it as a text file. Drag the file onto
    the Safari icon if you want it to open as HTML that Safari will render.
    Drag the file onto the Firefox icon if you want to open it as HTML that
    Firefox will render. Drag the file onto the iCab icon if you want to
    open it as HTML that iCab will render. If the application won't accept
    the file, It won't highlight when you drag the file onto it.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
     
    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 22, 2006
    #7
  8. patrick j Guest

    Nikita the Spider wrote:

    > Will,
    > TextEdit displays text.


    Hello Nikita the Spider and dorayme

    TextEdit does not display the HTML markup on my Mac OS X 10.4.8. Maybe
    there is something different about the program for me than for you.

    If I open a .html file in textEdit then it will display as a browser
    will display that file, it will not display the HTML mark up text for
    editing.

    This is the experience that Will has as well I think.

    Perhaps I have the pref's set a certain way or something, but certainly
    TextEdit is not behaving for me as it seems to be for you or dorayme.



    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 22, 2006
    #8
  9. patrick j Guest

    wrote:

    > Thank you both for your comments. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear
    > about what I was expecting TextEdit to do. I had expected it to show
    > me the HTML code which I could then edit, rather than showing the file
    > as it would be displayed on a website.


    Hi

    For me TextEdit behaves exactly as it does for you. It will display the
    ..html file as if it were in a browser window.

    > I will have a play with TextWrangler and depending how I get on, will
    > post again with further queries.


    I think you will find that TextWrangler behaves as you wish. As it
    happens I use the "pay for" version of TextWrangler which is BBEdit,
    and this is a very capable text editor indeed with many useful extras
    for HTML creation but it is quite pricey for a text editor.


    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 22, 2006
    #9
  10. patrick j Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > Or a more tiresome but time honored method. Drag the file onto the
    > TextEdit icon if you want to open it as a text file.


    Not on my OS X 10.4.8 it won't :)

    drag the .html file to the TextEdit icon and TextEdit will display the
    file as a web browser would display it, albeit with editable content,
    but not such that you would be able to edit the html tags.


    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 22, 2006
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    patrick j <> wrote:

    > Nikita the Spider wrote:
    >
    > > Will,
    > > TextEdit displays text.

    >
    > Hello Nikita the Spider and dorayme
    >
    > TextEdit does not display the HTML markup on my Mac OS X 10.4.8. Maybe
    > there is something different about the program for me than for you.


    I'm on 10.3.9; sorry if I misled you. IMHO the behavior you describe
    sounds pretty annoying for a text editor. If I want to edit text, it's
    only logical that I'd turn to something called "TextEdit" to do so,
    while if I want to view rendered HTML, the application name "Safari"
    suggests that perfectly. Er, well, actually Safari suggests something
    more like a pith-helmeted, khaki-clad white male on the African plains
    blasting away at a charging rhino while the "help" does all the hard
    work of carrying stuff, beating the grass for snakes, etc. That's
    nothing at all like viewing a Web page which kind of undermines my
    argument but I'm not one to be persuaded by logic when my opinion is
    threatened.

    ;)

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Nov 22, 2006
    #11
  12. In article <>,
    patrick j <> wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    >
    > > Or a more tiresome but time honored method. Drag the file onto the
    > > TextEdit icon if you want to open it as a text file.

    >
    > Not on my OS X 10.4.8 it won't :)


    Nor on 10.3.9. The idiot you responded to ought do his homework.
    In his defense, he had yet to contemplate such a stupid thing would
    happen.
    I couldn't find an obvious way to change the behavior in TextEdit prefs
    either.
    Ah, here it is in the Help section for TextEdit. Select "Ignore rich
    text commands in HTML files". Now I'll try it. Yeah, that works. So the
    answer for TextEdit is to do that.
    Now I'll go back to BBEdit.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
     
    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 22, 2006
    #12
  13. patrick j Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In his defense, he had yet to contemplate such a stupid thing would
    > happen.


    I think it is very reasonable to expect an application called TextEdit
    to behave like a "text editor" :)

    I was quite surprised when I discovered that it will open .html files
    displaying the HTML as if it were a browser window myself.

    Like you I use BBEdit for actual "text editing" on the Mac.

    I've now changed the preferences on TextEdit so that it will "ignore
    rich text commands in HTML files" myself and I'm grateful to you for
    pointing this out.

    Personally I think that TextEdit is not a very good name for the
    program which has a role analogous perhaps to WordPad on the PC, but
    not Notepad.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 23, 2006
    #13
  14. patrick j Guest

    Nikita the Spider wrote:

    > I'm on 10.3.9; sorry if I misled you. IMHO the behavior you describe
    > sounds pretty annoying for a text editor. If I want to edit text, it's
    > only logical that I'd turn to something called "TextEdit" to do so,


    Yes it does seem to make sense I do feel "TextEdit" is rather a bad
    name for the application. Leonard Blaisdell has spotted that there is a
    preference for changing this behaviour. If "Ignore Rich Text commands
    in HTML files" is checked then TextEdit will display the HTML for
    editing, otherwise it will try to display the page like a web-browser.

    > while if I want to view rendered HTML, the application name "Safari"
    > suggests that perfectly. Er, well, actually Safari suggests something
    > more like a pith-helmeted, khaki-clad white male on the African plains
    > blasting away at a charging rhino while the "help" does all the hard
    > work of carrying stuff, beating the grass for snakes, etc. That's
    > nothing at all like viewing a Web page which kind of undermines my
    > argument but I'm not one to be persuaded by logic when my opinion is
    > threatened.


    I think Safari is a daft name as well. I don't think Cyberdog on the
    classic OS was particularly inspired either but better than Safari and
    at least a bit fun :)

    On the subject of web-browser names one with a fairly good name imho is
    the one I like least which is Internet Explorer. My only feeling about
    it is that it would perhaps have been better named "Web Explorer".

    I think Netscape Navigator is not a bad name, but Firefox is really a
    very strange name although a very good browser of course. Other good
    browsers with strange names are iCab, suggesting an internet taxi, then
    there's Opera suggesting, well, an Opera? Camino is a bit weird as
    well. I'm sure there's a very good explanation for these names.

    Having given it a bit of thought but not very much I think the best
    named browser is <drum roll>

    OmniWeb

    But that's just my opinion.

    Having said that I don't actually use OmniWeb myself, but I think it is
    a good name.


    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
     
    patrick j, Nov 23, 2006
    #14
  15. In article <>,
    patrick j <> wrote:

    > Nikita the Spider wrote:
    >
    > > I'm on 10.3.9; sorry if I misled you. IMHO the behavior you describe
    > > sounds pretty annoying for a text editor. If I want to edit text, it's
    > > only logical that I'd turn to something called "TextEdit" to do so,

    >
    > Yes it does seem to make sense I do feel "TextEdit" is rather a bad
    > name for the application. Leonard Blaisdell has spotted that there is a
    > preference for changing this behaviour. If "Ignore Rich Text commands
    > in HTML files" is checked then TextEdit will display the HTML for
    > editing, otherwise it will try to display the page like a web-browser.


    Which also exists in 10.3.9, but I apparently switched it off so long
    ago that I forgot it existed. Apologies for the mistake, and thanks to
    Leonard for pointing it out. I also use BBEdit and was willing to pay
    for it because I thought TextWrangler was nifty.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Nov 25, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ABC
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    516
    tdavisjr
    Oct 25, 2005
  2. tom c
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    463
    tom c
    Sep 19, 2006
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    605
  4. Steve Holden

    editing scripts on a mac

    Steve Holden, Apr 27, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    257
    Adam Atlas
    Apr 29, 2007
  5. Tommy Grav

    Re: editing scripts on a mac

    Tommy Grav, Apr 27, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    233
    Arnaud Delobelle
    Apr 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page