Web File Organization : Best Practices

AJ

Hi all,

I am wondering if their are any links out their dealing with best practices
when
it comes to enterprise web site organization. We are still maintaining
classic ASP applications so keeping that slant in mind would be great.

How do you all organize your code / presentation / modules / classes /
images ect?

Does your web site file structure reflect any modulization in your code?

What are your recommendations?

Thanks for any help...

Cheers,
Adam

Rob Meade

Does your web site file structure reflect any modulization in your code?

In my old ASP stuff not so much, although I would do something like this:

<root>
/Images
/Images/Buttons
/Images/Icons
/Images/Misc
/Documents

So, some of the content was put into appropriate places, ie, my .pdf's /
..doc's would be in the documents directory, my images split into appropriate
directories...

If the application I was working on had a bit of a structure, for example,
an "admin" area, or a "users" area, then typically that would have been in a
separate directory too...ie.

<root>
/admin
/user

With the .net stuff I'm doing now I'm trying to be a bit tidier about it,
data access directories, business logic directories, but it depends on the
application - its sometimes easier to do this with a windows app as the
directories get hidden once built, with the web stuff obviously some
directories would be put into the root also if not using a class library..

Hope this helps a bit...

Rob