Web Form calling Web Service

Azali Adnan

I've created a web service project, test it, deployed it to a web server. No
Problem.
I've created a window app consuming the deployed web service. No Problem.
I've created a web application consuming the deployed web service, test it
on my local machine. No Problem.
Still happy until I deployed the web app.
Deploying the web app was not a problem but when I test it from another
machine I got
"operation has timed-out"

Web.config for both web service and app using no authentication and allow
users *

Hmm... what when wrong?

Thanks
Azali Adnan

MC D

When configuring the service for the web app, did you specify that the
service was from localhost? Did you specify the full URL to the service?

-D

Azali Adnan

The funny thing is, I specify the full deployed URL to the service. I even
copied the entire Web Reference folder to the deployed web app site.
Still...

Thanks for your reply
Azali Adnan

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Azali,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Typically with these issues, we need to find out whether the request is
stuck on the client box (or the outgoing IO thread) or whether it is stuck
on the WebService worker thread.

We could use SOAP trace utility to track the communication between client
and server to see what happened. For details on using this tool, please
refer to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/soap/htm/soap_overview_5y49.asp?fram
e=true

Also, please test win form client to see if it could invoke web service
methods successfully from that web site.

If the problem is still there, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Azali Adnan

Time is the answer.
Thanks for all your input. Win app was the first client I use to test the
web service and it was working fine. I was working on the web app early in
the morning and thought I gave it a rest., a few hours later, came back it
and the problem just seem to disappear. Hmm...

Server Busy?
Worker Thread management?

Thanks again
Azali Adnan

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Azali,

hmmm. I can't tell the exact reason either. Have you restarted the machine?
Maybe some setting can't take effect without a restart.

If you didn't restart the machine, I think it may be related to some IIS
recycling. Restarting WWW service next time if you met similar problem.

Anyway, I am glad it works now. If there are any more questions on asp.net
programming, please feel free to post in this group.

Thanks very much for participating the community.