Web form designer in VS 2003 .Net does not know about base classcontrols

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Edward Diener, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. I have a base class derived from System.Web.UI.Page, and derived classes
    derived from the base class. The base class has protected HTML hidden
    fields in it, and the derived class's aspx page has these hidden fields
    specified. So far everything is OK.

    However if I open the derived class's aspx page in the Web Form
    designer, it immediately puts an asterisk on the tab, meaning some
    change needs saving without my having done anything. If I then close the
    aspx page and agree to save the changes, it adds the HTML hidden fields
    to my derived class, not only overlaying the base class's hidden fields
    with the same name for the hidden field HTML controls in the derived
    class, but also the run-time initialization of controls in my
    derived-base class gets royally messed up.

    If I do not agree to save the changes I can not make any visual changes
    to the controls in my derived class's aspx page.

    Has anyone seen this broken behavior ? Does anyone know of a way around
    this broken behavior so that the Web Form designer does not break the
    web application code ?

    Yes, I can manually make changes to my derived class's web form, and the
    appropriate class itself, but the whole idea is to use the Web Form
    designer to make those changes. Also if I manually make changes will the
    IDE regenerate the correct .resx file automatically ?
    Edward Diener, Jul 20, 2006