web form formatting

Guest

Hi

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to solve an issue
I'm having trouble finding a solution for using asp.net

I have a web site where the pages are a fixed size, the customer doesn't
want to use scrolling. On some of these web pages (news articles) the
information is greater than one page in length. I want to be able to display
the information until the end of the page and then have some kind of
navigation link to move to the next page of information until the next page
end is reached and so on. The effect I want is similar to a data grid where
paging is enabled but with text and images. My problem is I'm not really sure
what type of control I should be using and how to configure it to do what I
want.

Ideally I would like to retrieve the information from another html page,
text file or database.

I would really appreciate some direction on where to start or where I should
look for some instruction on this type of scenario.

Regards
ilr

Andy Fish

ilr said:
[...]

unfortunately my answer would be that you're on a hiding to nothing with
this idea.

You are not in control of how big the user has made his browser window or
what size fonts he is using. you can't find out how much would fit on one
page so you wouldn't know where to split the information.

If the information is all plain text, you could probably make a guess and
count the lines and characters.

Basically HTML just isn't a page based format. If the customer is set on the
idea of pages, maybe you could convert the articles to PDF?