Web Form Progress Bar

aj

Alan, you can achieve this by using XMLHttp Async
functionality in a javascript file.

Create an aspx page in which execute long running SQL
query, then do an XMLhttp post to that page from a js
function.

In the javascript create 2 funtion
Call LoadData in the window onload event.

var objXMLReq;
function LoadData() {
objXMLReq = new ActiveXObject
("Microsoft.XMLHttp");
var DataUrl = 'http://localhost/Query.aspx';

objXMLReq.onreadystatechange =
ManageASyncXMLHTTPOperation;
objXMLReq.open("POST", DataUrl, true);
objXMLReq.setRequestHeader('Content-
type', 'text/xml');
objXMLReq.send();

//Display Progress bar("Retrieving data...");
}

function ManageASyncXMLHTTPOperationDTL() {
switch (objXMLReq.readyState) {

case 2, 3:
break;

case 4:
//Hide the progress bar
//Display the data
div.innherText=objXMLReq.responseText;

Alan Z. Scharf

aj,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I've had so many people tell me progress bars for backend SQL queries
couldn't be done in web forms.

Both your generous recommendation and the other extensive responses here
regarding multithreading convince me that there's always a way o do
something.

Regards,

Alan

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Alan,

I have replied your post in another
thread<microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols>, titled: <Web
Form Progress Bar Control>.

I past the link here for your reference:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=OiAxCajY
DHA.2448%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DWeb%2BForm%2BProgr
ess%2BBar%2BControl%2B%2Bv-lwang%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8
%26selm%3DOiAxCajYDHA.2448%2540TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl%26rnum%3D1

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Alan Z. Scharf" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Web Form Progress Bar
| Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 04:13:21 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| aj,
|
| Thanks very much for your detailed reply.
|
| I've had so many people tell me progress bars for backend SQL queries
| couldn't be done in web forms.
|
| Both your generous recommendation and the other extensive responses here
| regarding multithreading convince me that there's always a way o do
| something.
|
| Regards,
|
| Alan
|

| | > Alan, you can achieve this by using XMLHttp Async
| > functionality in a javascript file.
| >
| > Create an aspx page in which execute long running SQL
| > query, then do an XMLhttp post to that page from a js
| > function.
| >

| > In the javascript create 2 funtion
| > Call LoadData in the window onload event.
| >
| > var objXMLReq;
| > function LoadData() {
| > objXMLReq = new ActiveXObject
| > ("Microsoft.XMLHttp");
| > var DataUrl = 'http://localhost/Query.aspx';
| >
| > objXMLReq.onreadystatechange =
| > ManageASyncXMLHTTPOperation;
| > objXMLReq.open("POST", DataUrl, true);
| > objXMLReq.setRequestHeader('Content-
| > type', 'text/xml');
| > objXMLReq.send();
| >
| > //Display Progress bar("Retrieving data...");
| > }
| >
| > function ManageASyncXMLHTTPOperationDTL() {
| > switch (objXMLReq.readyState) {
| >
| > case 2, 3:
| > break;
| >
| > case 4:
| > //Hide the progress bar
| > //Display the data
| > div.innherText=objXMLReq.responseText;
| > }
| > }

Alan Z. Scharf

oj,

Thanks very much for the help and code. I will give it a try.

Regards,

Alan