Web form to reset password on both mainframe and windows environment using LDAP

Mike Mahon

The LDAP is located on the mainframe. I can successfully
select records using some ASP (Classic) script. I choose
to use ASP classic because there are very few examples I
could find of using the directory services other than the
MS AD. Anywho, as I said I can select the LDAP record
using a mixture of SQL and LDAP dialects but now I am at a
standstill... I have been asked to create a form to reset
the passwords on both the mainframe and the network at the
same time. The actual user accounts on the mainframe
exist in RACF and the "field" I need to access is
racfPassword, could this be accomplished via a SQL Update
command using the same mix of SQL and LDAP dialects? Any
help is greatly appreciated.

mike dot mahon at txdps dot state dot tx dot us

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

No, the SQL dialect for AD is read-only.

There really shouldn't be much difference between using classic ASP and
System.DirectoryServices to access LDAP resources. They use the same stuff
under the hood (ADSI and LDAP API). If you are using ASP though, why post
to a .NET newsgroup?

Regarding changing passwords on the mainframe, that will depend completely
on that directory's semantics for changing passwords. They won't be the
same as AD, so you can't use SetPassword or ChangePassword (which are
AD-specific).

Also, when you say "change the network password", what do you mean by that?
Is the user in a Windows domain as well?

Joe K.